Thread: wet phonebook curiousity

Default wet phonebook curiousity

A few of us members want to recover a Nosler Partition and a Barnes TTSX from a 6.5 Swede (160 Hornady), 30-06 and .300 Win Mag. with near max loads from a 100 yd shot.
    Anyone know how many wet phone books we need to strap together for each caliber? Someone must have tried this before. We will post the results.
    My money is on the 6.5 x 55 Swede 160 grn RN for penetration.......Thoughts, Ideas?

IF you compare apples to apples, you can't compare a Barnes TSX to a NP(except in the same caliber and weight bullet) I believe the Swede will produce more penetration with the NP than the 06' or 300. The Barnes might be a different game tho, if the velocity on the 300 or 06' is fast enough to shed the petals then you basically have a copper bolt/solid doing the penetration. This is the basic design for the NP, expand on the nose even to the point of losing the front 40% of the bullet and then the rear section just keeps punching a hole through the animal. You don't really have to have phone books, just stack newspaper in a wooden crate and wet, let set until the paper is almost a pulp(doesn't take long). the paper will expand and work well, the entry end can be made of old carpet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanksbrav01. Old carpet soungs like a good idea to simulate hide on a critter. I've recovered 2 Barnes TSX bullets from critters (quartering shots) and they performed perfectly....37 inches of travel through critter and all 4 petals were attached. One shot was verified 375 yds and the other was about 15 yards. I had posted the pics a couple 2.5 years ago.

Big critters get dead real quick from the Barnes TSX and my videos are quite convincing. I switched from partitions to TSX for deer, but am switching back. We found the TSX too hard and used little energy in deer sized game.

Still wondering how many phonebooks it might take.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Still wondering how many phonebooks it might take.
    That'll depend on the size of the cities phone books, Dallas and New York have bigggggger phone books than Sunshine, Alaska. I believe your question should be "inches of wet phone books".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

OK, Anchorage phone books.

I have played with dry phone books a fair amount and also set a 2 x 12 in the front to help simulate bone like a shoulder hit would represent and with 45/70 and 300win mag loads was still getting about 10 - 12 in of penetration.... About all I could suggest is try to start with about 15in of wet books and see what happens....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Dry paper is MUCH harder on bullets than wet paper is. I think you'll need at least 3 feet thick.

If you want to guarantee you recover the bullets, plan on using 40-50 inches of wet paper.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh.penetration.tests.asp
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist