Thread: Update on Gulkana

Default Update on Gulkana

Has anyone floated it this spring? How was the water level?

drove by last wed .paxon lake was still frozen and there was ice chunks in the river at the bridge with alot of ice on the banks

A group from Knik Canoers and Kayakers used to do it just about every Memorial Day. I remember them talking about the lake ice, the difficulties crossing it, and that some years it was completley gone. They all wore drysuits and dragged boats across most years. Plenty of fall-throughs -- especially for the last 1/4 mile. Once they got into the river it was fine though, so I suspect the river itself will be runable in another week. Been kind of late spring around Anchorage though -- at least compared to springs of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    A group from Knik Canoers and Kayakers used to do it just about every Memorial Day. I remember them talking about the lake ice, the difficulties crossing it, and that some years it was completley gone. They all wore drysuits and dragged boats across most years. Plenty of fall-throughs -- especially for the last 1/4 mile. Once they got into the river it was fine though, so I suspect the river itself will be runable in another week. Been kind of late spring around Anchorage though -- at least compared to springs of the last decade.
    Thanks. I don't think the wife is too into the drysuit approach ... but maybe I can convice her.