Thread: Ruffed grouse hunting this fall . . .

Default Ruffed grouse hunting this fall . . .

Are there enough ruffed grouse in the Valley/Talkeetna area to make it worth while walking in the woods this fall?

Used to hunt them with my dad back in Michigan and would kinda like to do it again.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Are there enough ruffed grouse in the Valley/Talkeetna area to make it worth while walking in the woods this fall?

Used to hunt them with my dad back in Michigan and would kinda like to do it again.
    I used to hunt "Pats" back in my younger days in Michigan as well. Good times those were!!!!

Yea, we called them "partridge" back in the UP. I have no idea why, I was suprised when I found out they were actually grouse, lol..

There are not too many Ruffies in the valley, but a fair amount of Spruce grouse to be had and a bonus ruffed grouse every once in a while. Maybe one out of every 20 or so....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Yea, we called them "partridge" back in the UP. I have no idea why, I was suprised when I found out they were actually grouse, lol..

There are not too many Ruffies in the valley, but a fair amount of Spruce grouse to be had and a bonus ruffed grouse every once in a while. Maybe one out of every 20 or so....
    Wonder how many Yuppers are on this board...seems like a few. As well, from da UP...and loved to hunt Pats.

Question

Yes, "pats" or "partridge," either way the king of upland game birds. Every fall necessitated trip north to Carp Lake*, where a great aunt owned some cottages on the lake and a great uncle was justice of the peace. We'd stay a week and hunt every day.

Partridge, woodcock, and snowshoe rabbits . . with an occasional side trip over to the beech woods around Cross Village for squirrels.

Dad shot a pre-'64, Model 12 Winchester, 16 gauge, 26" barrel, improved cylinder bore . . how he loved that gun. Even shot a double with it once . . that was something . . right up there with his 9# walleye from Bay de Noc.

So what's the deal up there . . just pick a nice woods along the road and start walking? How about along the Talkeetna cutoff? . . we used to live in Talkeetna. When does the season start? How many can one (hopefully) shoot? Will the spruce grouse flush?

Need to give it a try later this fall.

*Carp Lake was eight miles south of the Straights on Hwy. 31 before the Interstate went in. I think they've renamed it "Paradise Lake."

Yes, "pats" or "partridge," either way the king of upland game birds. Every fall necessitated trip north to Carp Lake, where a great aunt owned some cottages on the lake and a great uncle was justice of the peace. We'd stay a week and hunt every day.

Partridge, woodcock, and snowshoe rabbits . . with an occasional side trip over to the beech woods around Cross Village for squirrels.

Dad shot a pre-'64, Model 12 Winchester, 16 gauge, 26" barrel, improved cylinder bore . . how he loved that gun. Even shot a double with it once . . that was something . . right up there with his 9# walleye from Bay de Noc.

So what's the deal up there . . just pick a nice woods along the road and start walking? How about along the Talkeetna cutoff? . . we used to live in Talkeetna. When does the season start? How many can one (hopefully) shoot? Will the spruce grouse flush?

Need to give it a try later this fall.
    It's definitely worth the time spent walking the woods around Talkeetna. A spruce grouse will indeed flush, right after you kick him square in the kiester!!!!

Used to love waiting around for Setember in Minnesota to hunt ruffed grouse. Just the smells of the fallen leafs and the sounds of Canda geese headed south is all it takes to bring back those memories. The places I've really seen them in the valley was ATV trails at the end of Maud road (outside of Palmer) and walking the ATV trails by the Knik River and shot quite a few on Fort Rich also.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Wonder how many Yoppers are on this board...seems like a few. As well, from da UP...and loved to hunt Pats.
    corrected spelling...sorry.

corrected spelling...sorry.
    I thought it was spelled Yoopers....

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I thought it was spelled Yoopers....
    You are correct....LOL, been one all my life and can't even spell it.

You are correct....LOL, been one all my life and can't even spell it.
    I'm a Yooper wannabe...born and raised below the bridge.

Definatly hard to beat Sept in Northern Mn Livn907.

We've had great years up here for ruffies, though its been awhile now since I've seen much for numbers. A couple of shotgunners found one of my local haunts and it hasn't rebounded since. Its a small spot but was loaded with birds. Otherwise its hit and miss when I get on them these days, most of its spruce hens, which are still good till the snow sticks imho. They're in a cycle just like hares, sharpies, spruce hens, ppppppeeeetarmi's. If you really want to chase flushing birds get up this way on murphy dome and be prepared to walk your tail off trying to get close enough to shoot a ptarmigan LMAO! Them blasted things!

LOL Frost!!!

The most ruff grouse I ever shot was along the back roads of Healy. Some tough walking, a good dog would help. They hold tight, my dog layed on one. He was disappointed when I took him and threw him in the air.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It kind of depends, Marcus. I don't know the area east of the Parks that well, but the area west has been decimated by years of Asians hunting 2 weeks prior to opening season and decimating the bird populations. We've got a cabin up there, and this will be the first year I don't even bother to hunt there at all.

Having said that, I was overjoyed to see one hen and 3 babies on Friday. That was the highlight of my week and the first birds I've seen in the area in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    The most ruff grouse I ever shot was along the back roads of Healy. Some tough walking, a good dog would help. They hold tight, my dog layed on one. He was disappointed when I took him and threw him in the air.
    Must be a little dog....
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

[QUOTE=Alaskan Woodsman;1302103]Must be a little dog....[/QU

Thinking the same thing. That's funny!

Smile Going hunting . . .

Thanks for all the information . . am now planning to spend a week at our daughter's place in Wasilla in early September . . wish me luck.

Attachment 72060

Taken this past spring by old friends in the UP . . .

Another Yooper here! Only two years in da Soo, but loved every minute of it!

How long ago did you live da Soo, I was born and raised there and moved here a few years ago. You living there only two years we probably havent met but it aint that big a place.

Ahhhh a Yooper I am. Born and Raised in Marquette, 4th generation......................Love the Yoopers