Thread: Bears Klutina Lake

Default Bears Klutina Lake

Heading down on wednesday to do my 2nd 10 day long fishing trip on the klutina. From what ive heard fishing isn't that great this year. I plan on supplementing it with bear hunting. Has anyone ever had any luck down there. Its pretty thick forest. Any trails that may lead to hight ground would be helpful. Ive been up and down the road but never took any trails to the north. Thanks for all posts.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Look out for all the native land not much up that road is public, you can buy a trespass permit for a hundred bucks

Ya aware of the ahtna land. i have a annual pass. Its 15 bucks for day use by the way.

Was unaware of the day pass, just knew about the hunting pass, will the day pass work for bear?
    are you going in a boat or just hiking?

I am riding my wheeler back there. You can park on the pipeline and ride the road all the way back. 15 for a day, 20 for the night, 150 to camp for 365 days. Lots of bears up there just havn't connected with any of them.

To shoot bears on Ahtna land you need a predator control permit which is an annual permit that cost $100.

http://www.ahtna-inc.com/ldp.html

Heads up with folks pretending to be "security " and trying to extract a permit fee. Only the AHTNA resource officer, who in in uniform and in an AHTNA truck can sell any permit. I parked my rig on the pipeline road for a wheeler trip to the lake and had a nasty and heated argument with some clown who was trying to get me to pay a fee. I have an annual pass and would not buy in. I later ran into the AHTNA officer and he told me about the scam.

Nice country but AHTNA makes it just about impossible to use by design. We could have an entire thread about AHTNA and land use but it would not change the situation. Living out here I do not think I have ever seen a AHTNA member back in the country. They have so much great land and so few have ever stepped foot off of the pavement, a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Nice country but AHTNA makes it just about impossible to use by design. We could have an entire thread about AHTNA and land use but it would not change the situation. Living out here I do not think I have ever seen a AHTNA member back in the country. They have so much great land and so few have ever stepped foot off of the pavement, a shame!
    True. I doubt the big land tie-up by AHTNA and others was ever about their use....just keeping others from use.

You do not need a predator control permit to hunt bears. That permit is strickly for predators that do not count against your annual bag limit. You can hunt animals IAW with start regulations or/and hunt predators under a preadtor control permit purchased from ahtna. I'm not offended by your post, however i wish since this seems to be a regualar occurance that people know what they are talking about before they post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    You do not need a predator control permit to hunt bears. That permit is strickly for predators that do not count against your annual bag limit. You can hunt animals IAW with start regulations or/and hunt predators under a preadtor control permit purchased from ahtna. I'm not offended by your post, however i wish since this seems to be a regualar occurance that people know what they are talking about before they post.
    I know you need it to hunt bears over bait barrels on AHTNA land so I figured you needed it to hunt anytime while on AHTNA land, thanks for the clarification.

Just looked it up and you do need a permit to hunt bears.

"Predator ControlThis permit allows for the hunting of wolves, coyotes, brown and black bears on Ahtna lands. The cost is $100 annually. Predator hunting is not allowed during moose season. There is no cost for state certified aerial predator control."

The only animals you can hunt on AHTNA land that are not predators is Bison and that is after you pay for a permit specifically for that.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    True. I doubt the big land tie-up by AHTNA and others was ever about their use....just keeping others from use.
    Say it isn't so!