Thread: Victims identified in fatal Cantwell plane crash

Default Victims identified in fatal Cantwell plane crash

Victims identified in fatal Cantwell plane crash, pilot posted viral video weeks ago
    Laurel Andrews|

June 30, 2013

Alaska State Troopers have released the names of the victims who perished in a plane crash near Cantwell on Friday. The pilot was the same man who had only weeks before posted a viral, first-hand video of an engine-out, emergency landing that he walked away from last summer.

The victims of Friday's crash have been identified as pilot Dale Hemman, 61, of Steilacoom, Wash., and passengers John Ellenberg, 74, of Greenville, S.C, and Laurie Buckner, 52, of Simpsonville, S.C. Their remains were recovered from the plane crash on Friday, and the next of kin have been notified.

Hemman was the director of operations at Letís Fly Alaska, a flight-seeing company that organizes sight-seeing squadrons in which visitors can fly their own airplanes across remote parts of Alaska and Canada. Group participants are required to have a valid pilot's license, and the company recommends having 200 hours of flying experience.

The rest of the story here from the Alaska Dispatch
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ideo-weeks-ago
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here is the video from his crash last year in a Beech 33A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=234_naonoH8

Well sorry to hear about this, I don't know the fellow, that video on youtube, he did not have much in the way of options on that one. Pick a spot and fly to it. They ever come up with an explanation of why that engine failed?

fuel valve position

That was an interesting video, is it common to have three separate cameras running while in flight?

fuel valve position? does that equate to operator error?

nonetheless, sad for the victims families...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    That was an interesting video, is it common to have three separate cameras running while in flight?

fuel valve position? does that equate to operator error?

nonetheless, sad for the victims families...
    Don't know who else one might blame for the error, and error it would have been, if Float Pilot is correct. And he usually is !!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I would normally agree with operator error on a fuel valve position...BUT...having just gotten my plane out of owner assisted annual last month I saw first hand a fuel valve, (not mine) that was worn... It would actually indicate "BOTH" visually to the pilot when it was actually off...so it is possible that it may indicated to the pilot that it was in the correct position it MAY have been actually in a different one...(OFF) or not selected to the correct tank or a full tank...

Things aren't always as they seem...

And I've picked my plane up from the maintenance hangar, taxied, did my run-up, and took the runway to depart when my engine quit. The mechanic who worked on the plane had turned the fuel off. I hadn't checked it. That got my attention. That was about 15 years ago and I doubt the fuel selector switch has ever been overlooked on the "go" checklist since.

Checklists, procedures, regulations...most written in retrospect as a result of tragedy...My deepest condolences to the pilot, the families and his passengers...Have a Safe Independence Day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    fuel valve position
    Where did you get that information?

Didn't see that from NTSB....

Pasted directly from NTSB report:
    The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:

The total loss of engine power reason that could not be determined because postaccident examination and test run did not reveal any anomalies that would have precluded normal operation.

Remember the video is from last year's non fatal accident not this year's.
    AK-Hunt PM sent.

Yea, understood. After reading my post it sounded like I was confused. It was just poorly written...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Remember the video is from last year's non fatal accident not this year's.
    AK-Hunt PM sent.
    Yes I am aware.
    PM replied.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    I would normally agree with operator error on a fuel valve position...BUT...having just gotten my plane out of owner assisted annual last month I saw first hand a fuel valve, (not mine) that was worn... It would actually indicate "BOTH" visually to the pilot when it was actually off...so it is possible that it may indicated to the pilot that it was in the correct position it MAY have been actually in a different one...(OFF) or not selected to the correct tank or a full tank...

Things aren't always as they seem...
    Then the pilot/owner or operator should have changed out that defective valve !!!

I won't throw stones on any of this. I almost killed myself with a fuel valve mix-up , amongst several other ways I have really screwed up... I was lucky and lived through it...

It is a little too easy to get sidetracked on the victim pilot's couple of other accidents prior to this fatal wreck. But we all have a two or three boo-boos in our past that probably made us better pilots after the fact.

Hey Mort,
    The point I was making was the owner did not know that it was physically possible to be rotated to the wrong position, yet indicate correctly...As an FYI He did replace the selector valve when the mechanic pointed it out, and I checked mine out for wear!!!...Sometimes being lucky is what saves us from the next statistic..I enjoyed your snippets in the recent Air Facts Journals...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    Hey Mort,
    The point I was making was the owner did not know that it was physically possible to be rotated to the wrong position, yet indicate correctly...As an FYI He did replace the selector valve when the mechanic pointed it out, and I checked mine out for wear!!!...Sometimes being lucky is what saves us from the next statistic..I enjoyed your snippets in the recent Air Facts Journals...
    I don't mean to sound critical. Still, fuel is probably just as important as that fan (or those fans) out front. My position is simply that an owner should know as much as possible about his own airplane. And a non-working fuel selector valve is surely high on that list of such things. After all, it's used on every flight . . .

Dale was my hangar neighbor, and the cause of his engine out in Fairbanks was not a fuel valve. In act, the NTSB has yet to publish a cause for the engine stoppage. Dale had about 3,000 hours in Bonanzas and was a well known Bonanza Society safety instructor, so while it's a possibility, I'd say highly unlikely.

Dale had 3 cameras on board because his primary business is the president of "Lets Fly Alaska" leading air tours of AK twice during the summer. he records everything from the trip to the customers get a video compilation at the conclusion.

That said, although he was an experienced AK pilot flying logging, firefighting, and Pt 135, it appears the Last Frontier bit him this time, pure and simple.

Mike-