Thread: target shooting with broadheads

Default target shooting with broadheads

hello everyone, anyone know of a range in anchorage where i can shoot my broadheads without getting yelled at? got my bowtech destroyer all tuned with field points, but just got some new shuttle t-locks and want to make sure i'm on before i take them out hunting. and yes, i know not to shoot at the same spot more than once, i've already spent alot on new fletchings

Dont know of a range, but if you set up some 2-3" thick blueboard, that makes a terrific target for broadheads. Just use a broadhead wrench to remove the heads from behind the target before pulling the arrows. The blueboard is fairly self healing so its good for quite a few shots also. I found it to work great. It does leave a bit of melted residue on the shafts, but you can just rub it off with your fingers...

yeah, as much as i would like to shoot a target from the porch of my apartment, i'm not too sure how the neighbors or landlord would feel about that. would really like a range for its safety and controlled environment. anybody know if kincade or full curl allow broadheads?

I'm sure Kincaid and Full Curl are not viable options. I have taken my Block target to Blacksheep's outdoor range on Elmendorf and tuned my broadheads there. If you are a Blacksheep member, give that a try.

Its not necessarily that they dont want you to shoot broadheads its that in most cases they cant let you due to insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    yeah, as much as i would like to shoot a target from the porch of my apartment, i'm not too sure how the neighbors or landlord would feel about that. would really like a range for its safety and controlled environment. anybody know if kincade or full curl allow broadheads?
    Winibezold sending you a pm. We can meet up to shoot bows if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by akgator View Post
    I'm sure Kincaid and Full Curl are not viable options. I have taken my Block target to Blacksheep's outdoor range on Elmendorf and tuned my broadheads there. If you are a Blacksheep member, give that a try.
    This us what I do

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, turns out after speaking with the owner of full curl that it is actually illegal to shoot broadheads in anchorage, who knows why but it is. he went as far as to say that if you did shoot them, don't broadcast it as the man might give you a ticket for it. so it looks like i'll have to do some sneaky shooting or haul my target out to the middle of nowhere to shoot my hunting setup

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    yeah, turns out after speaking with the owner of full curl that it is actually illegal to shoot broadheads in anchorage, who knows why but it is. he went as far as to say that if you did shoot them, don't broadcast it as the man might give you a ticket for it. so it looks like i'll have to do some sneaky shooting or haul my target out to the middle of nowhere to shoot my hunting setup
    That sounds like a huge pile of moose droppings of a law.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I can tell this much having them called on twice at my house.... They are no law or Ordinances that have anything to due with shooting bows in the anchorage bowl or board heads. My neighbor hate me and all hunting things..... The second time she asked for a Sgt.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

kind of what i thought, but i'm just passing on the news i heard. being a reputable business, i have no reason to think otherwise, and since i don't have a 10acre yard to shoot in, i probably will wait until i go north again to test my broadheads

Yes I agree and understand why they would say that as a business. Which is the place in town I shop for Archery stuff.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

i dont know if the importance of actually shooting your broadheads before hunting with them is stressed enough in the bowhunting community. i was shocked the first time i shot my broadheads after having field points dialed in at how different they hit. the bow was tuned and punching bullet holes through paper but with some fixed blade braodheads hit quite a few inches difference. everyone should be looking for a good place to practice with broadheads. i would just take your block or macanzie target or whatever your using and head out for a weekend and practice,practice, practice.

It has been awhile since I've shot at the Rabbit Creek archery range but I wonder if they'd let you bring your own target and shoot broadheads there? Might be worth a call. Having been a range master at the Northwest Archers Assoc range at Kincaid I can tell you broadheads are not allowed there. The club had to abide by those rules as the range is on municipality property and it was the muni's call not to allow broadheads.

Per Eric, at the range, you can bring and use your own BH target plus they have some BH targets down by the sporting clays you can shoot into, also.