Thread: Paxon Lake

Default Paxon Lake

I just returned from some fishing action with my son/wife on Paxon and it was great! Good Laker Action at the outlet with a nice 7 pounder leading the pack. Grayling were hot as well. Worth the time if you have it!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Walt- What were you using to catch the lakers. I have never fished for them and could use some ideas. Thanks.

Same question as Lefty - what to use and any other tips. We're heading up towards the Paxson end of the Denali tomorrow. While grayling for my two boys (3 and 5) is the aim, I sure wouldn't mind fishing lakers for the first time while we're at it.

Krocodile spoons have always produced for me at the lake outlet. Also, if you're flyfishing, smolt patterns are killer late at night, especially if the birds are diving and lakers are boiling on the outmigrating smolt.

I take a look at what is happening when I choose a pattern. I agree with the smolt patterns, they are productive. I also strip a number of leech patterns. On the spinner end tossed a #4 Mepp with orange pattern and beads. I am not the smartest fisherman in the world but I do have a full tackle box!

We hit Paxon 2-3 times a summer and camp at the outlet just past the cabins. Always a well spent day or2. I also ran into a former rafting client who was trolling on the North (west?) side of the lake and putting on a show. Paxon is an under loved lake for sure!

We fished and did very well up at Lake Louise this past weekend and the lure of choice was the rainbow trout Pixie. It caught the most (5) and the biggest (16#). The second lure of choice was my personal favorite, the jumbo rainbow trout split Rapalla. Third best lure which in the last few years have been the best producing lure was the Glow in the dark colored (green) kwik fish. Any of these tied onto a 6 foot leader tied to a 3/4 or 1 ounce bananna weight will produce. Another tip that I see quite often is people seem to think that trolling along the shore (especially in the spring) is the way to go. I will admit to catching maybe a few more fish, they are always much smaller fish, plus with the set up I use, my lures dive 9-13' so by cruising the shores, you will constantly drag weeds. I run my same routes(edges of rock shelves, drop offs and pinickels) for trolling from ice out to freeze up and always produce big lakers in the same holes constantly. I also notice the best fishing for me is from ice out to about mid July. Hope this helps and good luck!

Please keep in mind there are restrictions on what you are able to use within a 100 yard radius such as only single artificial lures no bait going into the East Fork of the Gulkana and coming out of Paxson Lake. Practice C&R if possible so I can fish more there :-)

Flies - yepper Smolt patterns do work however 9 times out of 10 I am tossing Sculpzilla's tan and or olive cone heads size 4 and or 2 so duck and chuck. Fishing is best after 9:00PM till about 2:00AM in the morning.

Private land at the point on the right at the Cabins please respect that. Got to meet a couple of them last weekend nice enough people but they are getting a little tired of the people who abuse the area and or break in and use their stuff.

Lures - Spot on Rapalla however remember to change out the hooks to a Hook!