Thread: Dollies for canoes

Default Dollies for canoes

Anyone have an experience using a dolly for portaging a canoe for distances? I have a 17' Scanoe and a 2.2 Merc. on it and am hunting in the back of a bay. The bay is all gravel. The tide sometimes leaves me 100-150 yards from the water. Seems like a dolly with a set of mountain bike tires might be a good thing to use. At 57 I can still throw the thing up on my shoulders but with other gear being able to roll it along seems more practical.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Dave, I have no experience with them but they sell some nice ones with "beach" tires that hould work well for what you are thinking.
    Google "portage cart" or some such.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Found this one

I found this one. 300 pound capacity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-InSTEP-CC100...QQcmdZViewItem

Dave,
    At Sportsman's Warehouse up stairs at the kayaks and canoes they had a kayak dolly.

I built one out of a old tricycle back axel for my kayaks.
    http://topkayaker.net/cgi-bin/TopYak...c;f=5;t=000077

Let me know what you think.

George

Here's a couple of links to some other choices. It seems to me that wider abd shorter tires would serve you better on beaches.
    By the way, LL Bean seems to have one exactly like the one you found on ebay, & it',s only $50.00 ... MORE!
    The 1st link is a specific cart I believe, but if I got the page with a selection, I was thinking the 11" (largest)
    The second page is a listing of some manafactures with catalogs.
    The one at Sportsmen's might be just as good, I haven't seen it, but that's about a 225-250 mile drive for you right?

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com...cfm/4,5514.htm

http://www.paddling.net/buyersguide/...07b9dfbfb1f263
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Beach buggy

have used the frist one from E bay it will work for you but it will help to but a add rod from the buggy about a couple of feet long [3/4 ] an strap it to your canoe also , so it won't turn under the canoe as you pull or push the canoe along the beach
    PS [Cabelars also has them in there cat.check shipping ]
    Last edited by Sid; 05-17-2007 at 12:13. Reason: to add stuff

I just went to the Sportsman Warehouse and bought one like the one at eBay. I paid more for it, but didn't have to wait for it to my home from the lower-48. Cabela's has it, along another one with the Cabela's name. The one I bought is the steel-frame one:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cat601236_feat

I carry my Guide-160 canoe with the steel carrier, and haven't had problems at all on sandy to graveled areas. I would think that it would be more difficult to carry it over rocks and things like that, but no problems over small rocks. However, if the canoe is not strapped tightly, it may slide out of the carriage. I load all my gear in the canoe once I have placed it on the carriage. The Guide-160 weights around 58 pounds empty.

There are also other carriages that have wide and soft tires designed for carrying the canoe over deep dry sand.

Default Thanks guys

I think the one on EBay is the way to go. Got to thinking diversity last night and with only a handle I would have a game cart for the haul road where I hunt. I can still carry a bou out in two trips but turning 57 next week getting slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think the one on EBay is the way to go. Got to thinking diversity last night and with only a handle I would have a game cart for the haul road where I hunt. I can still carry a bou out in two trips but turning 57 next week getting slower.
    It would be very easy to build your own carriage if you could weld steel tubing. The tires used in the one I bought (same one at eBay) are just high pressure bicycle tires. I don't remember right now, but these tires should be at least 18" tall from the ground to the top, and take 45 psi or so of air. The only problem is having a pair of kids bicycle tires with the axles, since buying such tires would be more expensive than to buy a new carrier.

Default canoe wheels

I bought one years ago from an outdoor catalog. I have used it only a couple of times. It has the small 12" bike wheels and folds up pretty nice. I can see where they would be handy for portaging on good ground, or a logging road or good trail.. The use of any wheeled vehicle of any kind is not allowed in the Kenai canoe trail system so we don't rent them out down here, but a few years back, I donated some canoes and support to a special needs group from Girdwood that wanted to take a group of handicapped folks out in the canoe system. We were able to get special permission from the refuge manager to use wheels in the canoe system because some of the people were actually confined to wheel chairs..
    We used the wheeled cart to carry a canoe on this trip also.
    We made only one portage due to the trails not suitable for wheelchairs.
    That was alot of work to get a wheel chair over even the best portage.
    I was not impressed either with the Wheeled cart for the canoe, as the trails are not good enough for this purpose either.
    Some years ago I had a fellow from Michigan drive up to Alaska and brought his own canoe and wheeled cart. He wanted only a shuttle from us as he had his own equipment. I reminded him that the Wheeled cart was not allowed in the Canoe trail system, but he said he was prepared to get a ticket if he were caught.
    When he showed up at the Moose river bridge 4 days later, I went to pick him up and noticed his cart was not with his gear..
    He told me that after one portage, he realized it was a huge mistake on the narrow trails, and it was slower going and more work than if he just carried the canoe. He stashed the cart in the woods and left it behind.
    its probably still laying out there somewhere between canoe lake 2 and spruce lake on the Swan lake route..lol
    Anyway,, that is my only story on Canoe carts..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com