Thread: Denali Highway fishing.

Default Denali Highway fishing.

Taking the family up to Claude and Chrissy's place for the holiday weekend. Any good tips for flies and lures for them beautiful graylings and lake trout? Also, would a canoe suffice if you want to hook up on some lakers out at Tangle lakes or should we just stick to the streams and stuff around the lodge? Never been up there and would like to be as prepared as possible. Super stoked and cant wait till this Friday. Thanks.

I am pretty sure that you can rent a canoe from Tangle lakes Lodge if you did not want to haul one up there.

I have had plenty of luck fishing lakers from shore on Lower Tangle Lake. I typically spey-cast a 12ft sink-tip with a streamer pattern, either a clouser or a deceiver, but I've had luck gear-casting small spinners as well. For grayling I recommend casting dry-flies above the main lake where the smaller lake empties into the stream. Spinners can be effective as well, but not nearly as effective as a Griffith's gnat while the mosquitoes are hatching. For other streams, my favorite is Brushkana at the other end of the Denali Highway, I recommend Elk-hair caddis flies if the water is low and clear, and bigger woolly-buggers or hairy-buggers (black or olive) if the water is high and silty. Good luck and have fun!

I have some 0 Mepps wooly worm spinner flies for the kids. I have some blue dans, dolly llamas, mosquito nymphs, etc. I will have to pick up some more heh heh. Is Brushkana decent for kids? Is bait (meal worms or shrimp) a bad idea?

Brushkana is very nice for kids right by the campground (ps the BLM campground is very well kept and nice). Down at the end of the more open area (about 70 yards downstream from the campground) there's a really nice hole where the rive splits around an island that always seems to hold some nice fish; after that it turns into more bushwhacking and stream-crossing in order to get where you want, but there's really nice fishing wherever the stream deepens and slows. Blue duns will work great, perhaps the mosquito nymphs, but I'd leave the bait at home (I'm not sure it's legal either, you'd have to check the regs).

Thanks Seabass! Definitely will check it out. I'm gonna grab some elk hairs and buggers. Can't have too many flies! Will definitely post some pics after we get back. Again, thank you.

Lightbulb Another suggestion . . .

Clearwater Creek is between Tangle Lakes and Brushkana Creek on the Denali Highway. Nice little, pull-out campground just across the creek, left side, if you're coming from Tangle Lakes and if you're in a motor home or tent.

On the upstream side of the bridge, a small creek comes in from the Tangle Lakes side, and there's a nice grayling hole just below. Using a pheasant tail or similar, weighted nymph on a short leader, cast upstream and let the nymph come down through the hole on a dead drift . . use a strike indicator . . about a 4' leader . . use 5X tippet material.

Lightbulb Photos . .

Attachment 71886

The campsite at Clearwater Creek . . right on the river . .

Attachment 71887

Fishing at Clearwater Creek . . the little feeder creek is to the right, the deep hole to my left . . nice fishing . . lots of room for a backcast . .

There are a number of small unnamed creeks that pass under the highway which offer great fishing for the little ones. We're heading up that way this afternoon, and we'll mostly be spending time on the little trickles of water that usually get overlooked. Take a look downstream of any small culvert you see - there are lots of great spots for kids.