Thread: Homer small game?

Default Homer small game?

So, I just moved to Homer. Picked up my hunting license yesterday and looking for some places to go for pheasant, spruce hen etc.. Now I'm not asking for your secret spots or anything, just advice on areas that I can legally hunt. Went out on Ohlson Mountain earlier and followed the power lines down, all I saw was a snipe and a bunch of skeeters . Any info would be greatly appreciated. Even better if anyone wants to go out hunting. Note: I'm a respectful law abiding hunter. -Josh

You'll have to wait for the season to open on grouse. I believe (?) hare is open all year long, they're on a downward cycle right now but still a few. It would take about five squirrels to make a meal and hard to find that many in one day. Porcupines are open. Keep an eye open for them. Black bear! How small were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    You'll have to wait for the season to open on grouse. I believe (?) hare is open all year long, they're on a downward cycle right now but still a few. It would take about five squirrels to make a meal and hard to find that many in one day. Porcupines are open. Keep an eye open for them. Black bear! How small were you thinking?
    Yea, I'm hoping to take a black bear, however I'm going to wait until fall when they're munching on berries. Do you have to worry about worms in the hare right now? Not too interested in Porcupine, but beaver I wouldn't mind. Heard pheasant is always open.

Quote Originally Posted by captainredshirt View Post
    Yea, I'm hoping to take a black bear, however I'm going to wait until fall when they're munching on berries. Do you have to worry about worms in the hare right now? Not too interested in Porcupine, but beaver I wouldn't mind. Heard pheasant is always open.
    Worms? Never heard of that in hare, just tularemia. Personally, I have only hunted them in late summer-late winter. Is beaver open? I don't think so. Pheasant are often someone's property but there are generally a few at the bottom of West Hill Road if you have a high power air rifle. Some around the little park by Beluga Lake too. Don't underestimate a summer porky! I've heard black bear also can be good any time of the year if they're not eating fish, but I have only had fall blackie, so can't say from experience. Good luck! Summer is usually just for fishin'.

I wouldn't mind eating porcupine. I can just imagine they're a pain to clean.

Go buy a fishing pole and put the hunting license away until fall. You'll also find public land a bit harder to find without a boat in Homer than if you hunt the north end of the peninsula.

Not really. I have done a couple of them and it wasn't bad at all.
    Also very good eating and do save as many quills as you can. My wife makes earrings out of them.
    As others have said you are best to put the hunting license away and grab a fishing pole until fall anyway.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Went fishing and caught some pollock. They were full of worms, no bueno. Waiting for the reds and silvers to get in (I didn't buy a king stamp $100 extra for non-res). Until then I'll keep trying for halibut at lands end.

Your not missing anything without a king stamp, head up to the Kasilof on days the nets are dry or the kenai pretty much any day starting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Your not missing anything without a king stamp, head up to the Kasilof on days the nets are dry or the kenai pretty much any day starting next week.
    Yes, and if you can borrow a kayak, head up Mud Bay a ways and drift for halibut. They don't have the worms pollack do and they'll give you a Nantucket sleigh ride!

Pick what quills you want (Chris my wife makes ear rings with them too!), then build a fire and roll the porky in it. When the quills are gone, skin as per any mammal. Dat's the native way.

Hey Josh, got a wheeler?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks for all the good info.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Hey Josh, got a wheeler?
    No, unfortunately not. Hopefully I can pick one up after this work season.