Thread: Someone Made A Mistake On My .375 Weatherby

Default Someone Made A Mistake On My .375 Weatherby

How do you spell disappointed?

My story with the .375 Weatherby begins back in 2002 when I purchased a ZKK-602 in .375 H&H from a fellow in Kamloops B.C. My brother picked it up on the way up to Alaska.

I wanted something different, something no-one else had. I mailed the rifle to a fellow in Prescott AZ for a rechamber to the Weatherby chambering. I received the rifle 3 months before Weatherby brought it back. Yeah. Upon firing the rifle for the first time I found the case had two shoulders. Seems the famous riflesmith there didn't push the reamer into the chamber far enough. Another 6 months until I received the rifle back, and now it won't even hit the paper.

Sent rifle to Jim Brockman who told me the receiver was twisted 0.030" out of square. I still need to make a chamber cast to check it though, and put the receiver on a plate to check what Brockman was referring too.

Bought another ZKK-602 and ordered a finish reamer with some changes in the throat and neck, specifically the neck was to be 0.401" and as a finish reamer, this would be a tight chamber.

My post farther down, which had 112 views but no comments, shows my first range day. When I got home I measured my precious Weatherby brass to find the necks had expanded to 0.405". This alarmed me greatly, as did the measurements at the shoulder and base. I just made a chamber cast with enough to show the throat and rifling. The changes I wanted at the throat (0.135 instead of the 1" Weatherby), and angle into the rifling are there. But for some reason I have a standard reamer with no changes at the throat as I ordered, and it is NOT a tight chamber.

I plan on calling the manufacturer and speaking to the head honcho. What should I demand? My money back? A new reamer like I originally ordered? A new barrel and chamber job (can't rechamber now as too much barrel needs to be set back)?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The lady I spoke to went and found the copy of the print I sent, they did in fact grind my reamer incorrectly. She offerred to send me a prepaid envelope so I could send it back in to have it ground correctly. I asked her "what do I do with the rifle since it has already been rechambered"? She asked me if I wanted to speak to the boss. I still have to think about that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

The Moral of the story...............is: DON"T screw with a .375 H&H, it is already "PERFECT".

Yeah...uh-huh. I'll have to keep that in mind. Now, back to your scheduled program.

Nitroman, I dont have anything intelligent or helpful to add. But thanks for posting both the range pics and your story on the smithing mishap. I learn something new everytime one of you guys posts stuff.

Dont think that because no one has responded to a post, that it is not being read and appreciated.

As far as what to do with the rifle, is a 416 Weatherby possible?

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. Having been in similar positions before, I strike these things up to the learning curve and move forward or maybe just consider them R&D towards the rifle you are building. Either way, I do not let these kinds of things deter my goals.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

hope they make it right. I'd think a new barrel should be the minimum they could do. Least it's a geniune mistake, unlike the last bout of crappy service you got.....find quarters, pennies, nickles and dimes in the airbox of your bearcat snowmachine!

I have to call someone to ask if there is enough shank left to take off to see if it can be rechambered, this time with the correct reamer. I think I will send it back to be reground. Oh well....

I would definitely talk with "the Boss" - to sound disappointed is obviously a dumb thing for me to suggest but it may appeal to "the boss's" sense of justice and good business demeanor - Is the reamer from White City OR ? "stuff happens" but this type of "stuff" can get somebody hurt, not to mention cost a lot of unnecessary bucks ! Whomever the "boss" is I would be surprised if he doesn't at least make an honest attempt to make it (and you) right - (it might not do any harm to somehow mention that a lot of readers here are following this saga)

In what way is the receiver "twisted?"

Oh that sucks, all of it. How anyone can call themselves a gunsmith and twist up a receiver is just beyond me. Itís ether lazy or flat out stupid . . . Then to not fess right up about it, I donít even know what to say about that.

Doubtful you have enough OD profile to set it back that far when itís been done already on that barrel. Sounds to me like you need a new barrel to go with the new receiver now too. Iím sure you know this now but always put a micrometer to a new reamer, or better yet cut a test chamber and cast because you can cut an oversize chamber with a poor set-up even using an undersize reamer. Definitely talk with the boss, Iíve had these issues with both the east and west coast reamer makers and both did everything reasonable to make things right.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Oh that sucks, all of it. How anyone can call themselves a gunsmith and twist up a receiver is just beyond me. Itís ether lazy or flat out stupid . . . Then to not fess right up about it, I donít even know what to say about that.

Doubtful you have enough OD profile to set it back that far when itís been done already on that barrel. Sounds to me like you need a new barrel to go with the new receiver now too. Iím sure you know this now but always put a micrometer to a new reamer, or better yet cut a test chamber and cast because you can cut an oversize chamber with a poor set-up even using an undersize reamer. Definitely talk with the boss, Iíve had these issues with both the east and west coast reamer makers and both did everything reasonable to make things right.
    I would not be pleased if I had to replace the barrel on my 602 since the rear sight base and recoil lug are integral, Only solution to this mess I see is to rechamber to .378 WB.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    In what way is the receiver "twisted?"
    I believe it is in the relation of the front to rear bridge. Brockman milled a pair of Talley mounts to take this into account, and the rifle was then able to make 4" groups. That was the best I could get. Admittedly I didn't try much experimentation.

I've reloaded 12 rounds of Weatherby brass, 300g Barnes TSX over 75 grains H-414 with Fed 215M match primers. Once the rain slows down I will go to the range and see what this thing'll do.

To keep the scope from sliding in the rings I used 150-grit sandpaper to just rough up the inside of the rings, same for the scope tube (it has this very slick coating), and put some Locktite 262 on the rings to hold it in place. I also torqued the screws to 30" pounds. I may have a problem with the detachable Talley Rings as I found them moving too. When I took the scope off, the front lever was quite tight while the rear wasn't near as challenging to remove. I found the front base had slid in the groove up against the end of the corresponding groove in the receiver ring. When I put it all back together I really tightened the levers. I think I'll use a small 3/4" x 4" wooden dowel and tap the levers another 1/16's turn, or roughly 5 minutes.

It would be nice if I could purchase a barrel from CZ-USA, but I am sure they are dear if they even make them available to their own specialty shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I picked that guy because he was supposed to be top notch. He built a couple of gorgeous rifles for SCI. I felt if he could do that, he could rechamber a rifle. Since I don't have a granite flat, the was no way (and no reason for me to suspect), the receiver was bad from the factory, let alone when it came back, so where do I lay fault? All I know is what Brockman told me, and no reason for him to make up a story.

This is what I suspect too. And a new .375 barrel? 11 months from Kreiger, Bartlein isn't even taking orders for those now. Hart, Brux and Shilen only work in stainless. Lilja could do it in about four months. But all told handed back to me a barrel, thread/chamber, front/rear sights and blue would run $1k. So at this point I hope she shoots. It should. I asked Jim to work his accurizing and reliability packages into the build. Just need the rain to stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Hart, Brux and Shilen only work in stainless. Lilja could do it in about four months. But all told handed back to me a barrel, thread/chamber, front/rear sights and blue would run $1k. So at this point I hope she shoots. It should. I asked Jim to work his accurizing and reliability packages into the build. Just need the rain to stop now.
    Get it done in SS, rain won't be an issue anymore!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Anything new on this? I have real personal interest in this thread as I have a zkk .375 I was thinking of rechambering to .378. Now not sure

Oddly enough I am shooting holes that overlap. So I am only a little disappointed. Full-length resizing is ridiculous since the case is easily visually smaller than the fired case. I have some I've neck sized, just need to load and shoot.

I do not think the ZKK barrel has a shank long enough to take rechambering to .378 W.

Not sure what you mean by shank. The part of the barrel that contains the chamber? Looks plenty big to me.

Then go ahead and have it rechambered.