Thread: Russian river action?

Default Russian river action?

Has anyone been down lately and had any luck with the reds? I know it's slowing down but I was thinking about taking some family and friends down there for Monday and Tuesday. If the run has died down to much would it be better for us to just go fish for rainbow's on willow or something? Any advice is appreciated

I walked the river from the White Trail up to the falls yesterday and didn't see a single salmon. I've heard there are some fish at the confluence, but I didn't get down that way. My guess is you'd be better off elsewhere, unless someone else has better info on the confluence. Good luck.

I just got back from the Russian. Fished for a couple hours and had 6 hook-ups but could not land any .... however I am not sure I would want to land those ugly fish. when I brought 3-4 fish close to my feet I saw ugly infections (maybe from hook wounds). People beside me got 4 fish and all of them had light red color on them and all of them had ugly skin infection from hooks. So my conclusion is that there are still fishable number of fish at the confluence but they r far from nice chrome fish

Willow closes to all fishing from the Parks Hwy downstream Monday night at 11pm.

I saw that it closes tomorrow night, Thanks for the heads up though. I think we are still going to camp at the willow for a few days and when it closes we will just move upstream from the parks highway to fish. I think I read the reg's right and it says that you can fish as long as you are upstream from the highway. Correct me if I am wrong though because I would hate to be fishing in closed waters.

That is correct, you can fish the Willow upstream of the Parks Highway, but you cannot target kings (not that there are very many in there anyways). Additionally, above Deception Creek you may not target any salmon period. Last Wednesday I fished the Willow above the highway and caught a whole mess of 'bows. This time of year you usually see the creek full of spawning kings and can do well fishing behind them for rainbows, but I saw ONE hen jump to break up her eggs. If you're looking to keep any rainbows be sure to bring something to measure; I believe the retention limit for rainbows is ONE and it has to be under 16".

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Soooo, the Willow Creek closure has what to do with the Russian?

Frostbitten, how about you read the original post huh? The poster said:

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    If the run has died down to much would it be better for us to just go fish for rainbow's on willow or something? Any advice is appreciated
    Any advice is appreciated.. including Willow advice. Thanks for being rude though, that's always helpful.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kbskinny11 View Post
    Frostbitten, how about you read the original post huh? The poster said:

Any advice is appreciated.. including Willow advice. Thanks for being rude though, that's always helpful.
    I apologize for irritating your thin skin there bud, but glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    Willow closes to all fishing from the Parks Hwy downstream Monday night at 11pm.
    Can you provide a link or something?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

By normal regs, the "weekend" fishery is only open Sat Sun Mon.

The OP mentioned something about fishing Mon Tue.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Interesting. I was thinking that was only for kings. Glad I read these forums, they make me reread the regs more often.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks for all the help guys. Seabass what were you using if you don't mind me asking?

I don't usually share... lol I was using a smaller black and white dolly llama of my own tying. They really seem to be keying on the baitfish right now in the absence of salmon.

more people than fish right now

The Russian is dead...been there 2 times and no salmon. Focused my efforts elsewhere
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    The Russian is dead...been there 2 times and no salmon. Focused my efforts elsewhere
    Nice 'bow!

Historically the Russian usually picks back up on reds around the third week of July with the second run. I hear they are making their way up a little ahead of schedule this year.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Stay up on the willow. The early run reds have pretty much died down. OR take them on over to the copper, down near Chitna.

Russian is low and pretty much void of all salmon. The only rainbows we caught were smaller. Wish the Russian was still up at a decent flow like it was a couple weeks ago.