Thread: Hunting out of Kaktovik first week in Sept.

Default Hunting out of Kaktovik first week in Sept.

I just got told I will be taking a work trip to Kaktovik the first week in September. I was thinking of going up early and trying out some hunting. Does anyone have any good ideas on hunting options out of Kaktovik?

I would steer clear of the whale carcasses that time of year.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

it is a long way to the mountains for sheep on foot. Winter is best for snow machine access to caribou and sheep.

Out of consideration of the locals I would not hunt any where near the village for anything.
    Tim

ROB, with so few post, I didn't even try to PM you. Send me an email triumph.ak@gmail.com

The first week of September is whaling opening so the village will be 24/7 cutting and storing whale meat. There will be dozens of polar bears around the island waiting for a chance at some easy pre ice food. There will be one or two barren ground griz around being bullied by the polar bears.

The main part of the arctic caribou herd will have already passed by a few weeks before.

Without access to a skiff you are not leaving the island. And the whalers will not want you out side the lagoon I case you mess their hunting up with your noise.

Other than taking a pest griz you won't have much else with out a flight into the hills. I recommend helping with butchering a bowhead. It's an experience you will not soon forget.