Thread: sigh of relief...

Default sigh of relief...

So cost being a factor with this years sheep hunt I decided to restock my 300 weatherby to synthetic.. Long story short and after a few lucky breaks found one but needed work to it.. Had ADfields fit it and made an earlier post of the obvious difference between a good smith and a bad one.. Andy being a really good one took the time to match my wood stock and pressure pad as close as possible.. Well today I finally had a minute to slap a scope on and head to the closest gravel pit for a quick test.. My big concern was I have a bunch of loaded up reloads that were sub moa and was really hoping they would work.. so first couple of shots at 20 yards were on paper so moved the scope a bit and moved ot to 100yards.. the next two shots were not to be found so I figured it was a bit high still. Shot one at the bottom of the target and bingo found it.. Moved the scope a bit and here were the next three..

I consider this a success as I was shooting off my tailgate from a semi hot barrel.. I will fine tune it at the range. My sheep gun is ready..woo hoo

Great fun getting ready for a special hunt. Good to see it all coming together, need to do some load work ups myself next week as the weather cools.

Nice looking rig!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Well today I finally had a minute to slap a scope on and head to the closest gravel pit for a quick test..

You made it sound like just some scope you had laying around just to see how the gun itself would shoot after the work was done. I had to laugh when I actually saw the scope.....that ain't just any old scope...!!!.......lol

As Steve said, glad it's all coming together...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am trying to work up some new loads for my sheep rifle too. I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Superlite in .270. I'm experimenting with 140 and 150 gn bullets. Get to spend the entire fourth of July weekend up in the mountains with my dog looking for some rams. Can't wait for Aug 10th!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

thanks Steve.. Pretty sure I can get a little better out of this load at a proper gun range and real rest so I am extremely happy.. You know theres always that nervous little tic in the back of your mind when you have a new gun or a major change like a stock so to get three at an inch out of the gate is pretty reassuring..

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

You made it sound like just some scope you had laying around just to see how the gun itself would shoot after the work was done. I had to laugh when I actually saw the scope.....that ain't just any old scope...!!!.......lol

As Steve said, glad it's all coming together...!!!

Dave I actually robbed the scope off my 416wby that I use for guiding....lol its on quick detachables so I can swap and resight.. was gonna use a old redfield I had laying around but this scope is a proven winner in the field so couldnt think of a better one to use on a sheep..

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I am trying to work up some new loads for my sheep rifle too. I'm shooting a Tikka T3 Superlite in .270. I'm experimenting with 140 and 150 gn bullets. Get to spend the entire fourth of July weekend up in the mountains with my dog looking for some rams. Can't wait for Aug 10th!
    Ill be headin in too.. Gonna hopefully find a shooter that I can watch till the opener or at least some other trails to where I want to be... good luck ducks

Dave I actually robbed the scope off my 416wby that I use for guiding....lol its on quick detachables so I can swap and resight.. was gonna use a old redfield I had laying around but this scope is a proven winner in the field so couldnt think of a better one to use on a sheep..
    Yeah....when you make a major change to a gun like that, it'a always good to have a known good scope to use to eliminate at least one of the unknowns had you had a problem. Had you put another scope on her you may have been chasing who knows what around for God knows how long had you had any problems. Not to knock Redfield either as I've always been a big fan. My Dad was always a big believer in their rings and mounts as well. If I recall that's still what I have on my 8mag...........never had any problems.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice rifle, even if the bolt is on the wrong side. What bullets you shooting? I was shooting yesterday myself and got my rifle and new load all dialed in and ready for bou and sheep.

Matt I'm using 200grain nosler partitions in front of 80grains(don't quote me) of imr 7828. I originally wanted to try a couple of different bullets but there are just not enough hours in the day and besides if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Matt I'm using 200grain nosler partitions in front of 80grains(don't quote me) of imr 7828. I originally wanted to try a couple of different bullets but there are just not enough hours in the day and besides if it ain't broke don't fix it...
    I got some 200gr accubonds if you want to try them.

so anyone else notice the lack of hours in the days...lol Well I have not had the much needed time at the range to finalize but finally made some time.. Well after the initial grouping with my 200 gr nosler partitions I have not been over joyed with the groups.. They have been good,around 1 to 1 1/2 but not as consistant as I like and I know my gun shoots better.. I decided to try some others and got some 180 nosler accubonds and after a few different loads I found one I liked.. The groups have been extremely consistant.. the first two shots out of a cold barrel are almost cutting each other and the third is within an inch.. for me thats great cause I have been shooting off my tailgate.. So if I get lucky enough to get a sheep in my sights I will be shooting 180Accubonds..

first group earlier today little wind

group from this afternoon

I shot a 4th off a really hot barrel just to see where it would hit and its not too bad at all..

Your crappy rest is rearing its ugly head surprised no one else said anything but you have horizontal stringing going on and it very consistent... Suggest you read up on horizontal stringing... But in short it can be from moving bench, breathing, barrel touching the stock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Your crappy rest is rearing its ugly head surprised no one else said anything but you have horizontal stringing going on and it very consistent... Suggest you read up on horizontal stringing... But in short it can be from moving bench, breathing, barrel touching the stock etc.
    Hey I really appreciate your advice and just did some reading. When I get back from my hunt I am gonna have to do investigating for sure. But I will start with a new rest... Lol