Thread: Quality of surface drive engines?

Default Quality of surface drive engines?

Although I originally championed the surface drive/ freighter canoe idea - I'm no longer as enamored with the choice
    of engines the companies are using. My mud buddy 18 hp just about stranded me alone in the middle of Minto flats last
    year. The Woodway mechanics got it running 500$ later.New starter -some kind of electrical glitch- starter,ignition,battery,
    interface problem? Of course I'm a terrible electrician. Also, the fuel pumps seem to fail every time there's a change iN
    barometric pressure. I've changed them many times. I carry 3 spares. Honestly, the dependability of the system is a
    concern to me for travel to remote places.I used Hondas for 15 years without a glitch. And., there's only 140 hrs. on the
    motor.
    The thousands of miles I've paddled had no such concerns.

You need one of these here pulse pumps, the internals are better than factory junk:

Attached Images Attached Images

That aeromotive has been discontinued.
    You could try one of the electric pumps.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...facetpumps.php

would a good snowmachine pump work they work off crank case pressure for the 2 cycle units don't know about the 4 cycle units ??????
    SID

Default which engine?

Quote Originally Posted by kandik View Post
    I'm no longer as enamored with the choice of engines the companies are using.
    What exactly is their choice of engines? Are they using a commercially available off the shelf motor, like a Kohler or Briggs & Stratton?