Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With This Video?

Default What's Wrong With This Video?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater If I am mistaken or over reacting, feel free to correct me. I found this video disturbing in that I thought that any out of season fish was to be released in the water and not turn into a photo op, deck rodeo, etc. The video does not show the fish being released...I'm not suggesting that they kept it...but I will suggest that if not dead, it was very close to it by the time it went back over the rail. I have been following a thread about a commercial vessel hammering an area around Montague that apparently has been a defacto sport fishing area for some time. I am neither a charter operator or a commercial fisherman, though both are commercial ventures. I would, though, like to see more respect for our resources by everyone!

Well, the person who's FB page it's listed under is a member of this forum. Maybe he'll chime in.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thumbs down

Class act.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Well, the person who's FB page it's listed under is a member of this forum. Maybe he'll chime in.
    Well, that's good. I was out with them earlier this season and had a good time. I just thought that whole thing was excessive. I personally favor the fish over the jig and have cut several loose for that reason...they make those jigs every day....

Angry

I would say the charter boat captain would be the one who should be held accountable. Looking at their web page it looks like they bring in a fair amount of big lings early & handle them long enough for plenty of photos.
    Not a good example of how it should be done, but then again there are good & bad in every profession.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

They lost a customer and clearly any referrals from me. My little boat doesn't have the range to get out that far so I do a charter one or two times per year..oddly enough for the nice long ride as much as anything else. This is the same fish but only a single picture...I wonder how many other clients had to get a pic. I don't handle fish that way unless they're about to coincide with a fillet knife. It's all just about the young, bling bling, hip hop, lookin fly in your face attitude. Maybe ADFG can confirm if this is or isn't a illegal practice.

That would seem to prove the old adage that there are more horses' asses than there are horses!

Don't know how you could prove that they were targeting ling cod but I do believe catch and release fishing for fish out of season is illegal at least in fresh water it is. Hard to prove like I said as bottom fishing with a jig could be targeting multiple species. A quick pic while trying to release the fish is in my opinion is justified, pulling the fish out of the water then letting it beat itself up on the deck, then passing it around deck for a photo op is uncalled for and sorry sportsmanship. But when getting the photos of your activities is priority I guess it doesn't matter to some people.

I know that in some fisheries, when a prohibited or closed season fish is caught, regulations specify that the fish is not to be removed from the water, but is to be unhooked & released at boatside IN the water (saltwater salmon in Washington, goliath grouper in Gulf of Mexico). have read through the AK regulations, and can't find a specific rule like this. The closest thing I could find was the definition of 'molesting' a fish intended for release, from this site: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....sfdefinitions

"molesting means the harassing, disturbing, or interfering with fish by any means, including the use of any missile or object not established as legal gear; molesting includes dragging, kicking, throwing, striking, or otherwise abusing a fish which is intended to be released." (boldface & italics mine added for emphasis).

The video sure looks like dragging & otherwise abusing a fish intended for release - it's fins were quivering like it was on deaths door. Likewise, the still photo on the next link looks like a freshly dead lingcod to me.

I was waiting for that rascal to put the chomp on that dude when he was buried to the elbow in ole snaggletooth's pie hole! You won't catch my arm that far down a ling's throat!

Lip grippers at the side of the boat work really good ... but ... sometimes you should just cut the line ... ouch ... took a week plus to heal up from the release of this 40 lb + ling ...

IMG_2145.jpg

I'm guessing that the fish would have had a hard time surviving with a 20/0 circle in his gills and a salmon head blocking his throat. Cutting the line on that one wouldn't have happened with me...that hook needed to come out.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I tend to agree with you, I would have pulled that one to clear the gear too, although it would have spent allot less time on deck.

Yeah, sorry, but I would have done much the same as the hook needed to be removed; albeit I would hope quite a bit faster than what the video showed.

Well I'll chime in. I was on the boat and my wife took the video. Wewere targeting Halibut and catching a number of decent sized chickens, whenthis ling bite happened.
    We caught several. Released them all and moved locations to get out ofthem. If you take the time to look the Ling had swallowed that hook pretty deepand the Captain was doing his best to remove the hook. (Want to try that?)

What we failed to video is Captain Ray doing a great job of revivingthis fish before he released it. Maybe we could have skipped the pictures andreleased the fish sooner, but to even imply that we (I was on the boat too!)kept a fish out of season is an insult!

This a young couple that are doing their best to establish a goodbusiness, the last thing I would ever accuse them of is intentionally breakingthe law!

I know that no laws were broken when I was on the boat and I would betmy bottom dollar no laws are ever broken on their boat. Feel free to criticizeone’s judgment but to accuse someone of breaking a law???? Come on guys! Youcan be better than that!

Good for you to stand up and let us know what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I'm guessing that the fish would have had a hard time surviving with a 20/0 circle in his gills and a salmon head blocking his throat. Cutting the line on that one wouldn't have happened with me...that hook needed to come out.
    Thanks AK2! At least one person commenting on this thread, looked at the video and saw what was really happening!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

They lost a customer and clearly any referrals from me. My little boat doesn't have the range to get out that far so I do a charter one or two times per year..oddly enough for the nice long ride as much as anything else. This is the same fish but only a single picture...I wonder how many other clients had to get a pic. I don't handle fish that way unless they're about to coincide with a fillet knife. It's all just about the young, bling bling, hip hop, lookin fly in your face attitude. Maybe ADFG can confirm if this is or isn't a illegal practice.
    GaryAk,
    You would think that if you were forthright and upfront with your concernyou would have at least contacted the person posting the pictures and asked acouple of questions instead of copying their post on another forum and throwingout accusations. You don’t have a clue what actually happened nor did you evenattempt to find out before slandering a business that you yourself “claimed” tohave had a goodtime with! That’s lame!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    GaryAk,
    You would think that if you were forthright and upfront with your concernyou would have at least contacted the person posting the pictures and asked acouple of questions instead of copying their post on another forum and throwingout accusations. You don’t have a clue what actually happened nor did you evenattempt to find out before slandering a business that you yourself “claimed” tohave had a goodtime with! That’s lame!
    I think that the video, as is, presents the wrong impression and puts everybody involved in a poor light. It might be worth re-editing it to make it clear that there was an effort made to save the fish. I wasn't very comfortable with the way the fish was being handled and passed around for video and pictures, but that was because that was what was shown in the video. I believe you that the top priority was getting the fish back in the water, but again, that was not what was in the video.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Cool video. I'm not jumping on band wagon saying you did anything wrong here. That thing is a monster.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast