Thread: A nice mess

Angry A nice mess

Found this scene today while scouting for moose hunting spots near Pt. Mac.
    I didn't dig through the pile dumped just off the road, but probably 20 yelloweye, 4-5 halibut and a dandy ling cod.

Awesome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    .....I didn't dig through the pile dumped just off the road, but probably 20 yelloweye, 4-5 halibut and a dandy ling cod.
    Considering the fact that ling cod season isn't open yet, and that is the yelloweye limit for at least 10 anglers, I'd venture a speculation that you found the remains of a poacher's work. Did you call the Troopers?

supprised a bear has not got to it yet it would be great for, him /her
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Considering the fact that ling cod season isn't open yet, and that is the yelloweye limit for at least 10 anglers, I'd venture a speculation that you found the remains of a poacher's work. Did you call the Troopers?
    Yeah, operator took the report. Can't believe anything will come of it, but ya gotta make the call.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    ......Can't believe anything will come of it, but ya gotta make the call.
    I agree. Thanks for the find and report.

Wow, thats a 10 year limit of yelloweye for me; have to agree with the idea that this was a poacher. Too bad there wasn't some trash left with it ... like a credit card receipt dropped from a pocket. Guess that would make it too easy for the wardens, huh?

A whole pile of spawners too. I bet each of those fish took upwards of 30 years to grow. Some day those poachers will complain about how we don't have big rockfish like we used to.

Just looked more closely at the photos - they didn't even bother with the belly meat, collars or cheeks on those yelloweye.

Looks like a bunch of (probably) legal bycatch from a commercial halibut trip. Leaving the mess is bad form to say the least, but a lot of comm guys keep the bottomfish for homepack.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Must have been someone from Anchorage!

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    Must have been someone from Anchorage!
    Nozzle. Not gonna say what kind.

Disclaimer..... if you are being sarcastic..... My apologies.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Take it however you want, just figured I would add to all the "must be from Anchorage" remarks on here lately. D.o.u.c.h.e.......

Yeah right Ptarmigan. Hopefully you're just trolling.

You need to read some more threads on here to get it. BTW, I live in ANC and yes I am trolling.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Looks like a bunch of (probably) legal bycatch from a commercial halibut trip. Leaving the mess is bad form to say the least, but a lot of comm guys keep the bottomfish for homepack.
    Bad form considering there is at least 6 "No Dumping" signs posted by the State of Alaska at the access points around that location. As far as legal bycatch, its seems unlikely that someone would drive several hours from the nearest commericial fishing port to illegally dump the carcasses of legally caught fish. Then again, you probably know more about commericial fisherman than I, so maybe you're right.