Thread: Unit 1 access roads

Default Unit 1 access roads

I was reading the regs today and it states that 1/4 mile either side of the tongass highway including ward lake and Harriet hunt lake roads is off limits for the taking of big game. Well. After doing some exploring there appears to be some decent property off some of those roads. Can I use those roads for access as long as I'm further than the required distance off of them? Or does that mean I can't even use the roads to get to the back side of the island

It means you cannot take game within a 1/4 mile of those specified road systems. You can use them to get from point A to point B, and you can hunt off of them, you just gotta be a 1/4 mile from them before you shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    I was reading the regs today and it states that 1/4 mile either side of the tongass highway including ward lake and Harriet hunt lake roads is off limits for the taking of big game. Well. After doing some exploring there appears to be some decent property off some of those roads. Can I use those roads for access as long as I'm further than the required distance off of them? Or does that mean I can't even use the roads to get to the back side of the island
    Yes, you can use the roads to get to the required 1/4 mile for hunting. But, there is also some private property (Native) that you cannot hunt on.

That's what I figured. Thank you