Thread: Catch Sharing Plan Published to federal register.

Default Catch Sharing Plan Published to federal register.

Halibut CSP public comment period : Written comments must be received by August 12, 2013.

http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/prules/78fr39122.pdf

Guided halibut anglers are catching 48% less lbs than in 2007 and the CSP will take up to 30% more. Ripping off a PUBLIC RESOURCE to lease it back to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Homerdude View Post
    Guided halibut anglers are catching 48% less lbs than in 2007 and the CSP will take up to 30% more. Ripping off a PUBLIC RESOURCE to lease it back to the public.
    Homerdude,

+1. I completely agree. The whole concept of IFQ is something I do not understand or agree with. Fish and game in this country belong to the citizens. Whoever thought they had the authority to grant quotas was woefully incorrect in my opinion. Fisheries should be run like a cross between game populations and natl forests or grazing lands. First of all, private citizens get to harvest what they want. If there is excess beyond the subsistence and sport consumption then that excess should be out up for bid each year to whoever wants to bid on the surplus biomass. Commercial usage must be the last user in the pipeline.

I agree that the fish and game belong to the citizens.. But all those fish and game should have limits. The fact that AK still has a two fish, any size limit is staggering to me. You can't go kill two sheep every day. Or two bucks every day.. Why should you be able to kill two 100lb halibut every day?

Everybody needs some sane limits to bring and keep the resource at a reasonable level. Charter boats shouldn't be able to go out and catch 1000lbs of halibut a day, for most of the season, when it costs the commercial sector $32,000 to buy the same IFQ.. Just for 1 day!

Catching bigger halibut is not hard. It's one of the more simple things in fishing you can learn to do... Thus, we need better controls to make sure the resource isn't wiped out. My 2 cents.

I agree to some extent 270. There do need to be limits which is why there is a limit of 2 halibut per day. You are correct that we can't shoot two sheep. However, I must point out that there is no commercial sheep hunting anymore. This is because there isn't enough of the resource to satisfy all user groups and the commercial hunting was cut out of the equation. Same thing that now needs to happen to halibut fisheries in my opinion.