Thread: Bottom painting

Default Bottom painting

My Seasport is sitting on the trailer and I have a high school kid sanding and doing the bottom paint. (I just had a disk removed, neck fused and a plate put in so I am out of commission.) I have four bunk rails areas that need to be done too. Can't put it in the water and move it over.... not enough room. So here is my thought: The flat edge of the bottom of the boat sits directly above the trailer frame. If I block it up with 7 1/2" of wood blocks it will be sitting on the trailer frame. So I should be able to lower one bunk rail at a time, sand, paint and put them back up where they belong. Anyone see anything wrong with that plan of attack?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    My Seasport is sitting on the trailer and I have a high school kid sanding and doing the bottom paint. (I just had a disk removed, neck fused and a plate put in so I am out of commission.) I have four bunk rails areas that need to be done too. Can't put it in the water and move it over.... not enough room. So here is my thought: The flat edge of the bottom of the boat sits directly above the trailer frame. If I block it up with 7 1/2" of wood blocks it will be sitting on the trailer frame. So I should be able to lower one bunk rail at a time, sand, paint and put them back up where they belong. Anyone see anything wrong with that plan of attack?
    Just block it up and pull it off. We had a good supply of 2x2 pallets, but some dunnage would do the trick. You still have to move those around to finish the job.

We ended up gutting the boat so actually suspended it so we can paint the whole thing at once....

“Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

That is quite the job. I don't think that will work though as the cross framing on the trailer would prevent pulling it out.

We have a bunk style trailer (which wouldn't matter, in fact a roller trailer would be easier), backed it into position with a large heavy object that we could connect the stern eyes too. Then pull the trailer forward until you have enough hanging off that you can get some dunnage under it. Now jack up the trailer one side at a time until the dunnage fits under the chine. The pull out until you can get the dunnage under the front and pull out the rest of the way, or jack the boat up enough to get the dunnage in place. My boat partner was skeptical at first, but it actually is not bad at all.....In fact we did several times, as we started working on the boat outside (soda blasting) and moved it into the shop to paint.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

When i painted my boat sitting on the trailer, i just took one bunk off at a time and painted. Supported the boat on the side the bunk was removed with jacks, removed bunk, painted, reinstalled bunk, so on and so forth till done

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    When i painted my boat sitting on the trailer, i just took one bunk off at a time and painted. Supported the boat on the side the bunk was removed with jacks, removed bunk, painted, reinstalled bunk, so on and so forth till done

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    That is basically where I am. Limited resources at the time being disabled. It is probably the only way it is getting done.