Thread: finaly made it.

Default finaly made it.

what a trip it was but i finaly made it to ketchikan. I will be here for 3 years. We are still in the process of settlng down and i need to get my fishing license, but i have found several fresh water lakes and some decent shore line access for the salt until i can get a boat. I have to say watching hundreds of kings swimming up the mouth of a creek yesterday does not make me miss the east coast at all. I do have a question reguarding the halibut as most people say they are here almost all year. When are the best times (off the year ) to fish for them and can you catch them on the Inside (inland waters) with out having to run outside to open ocean?

Anyone? Some one here has to have looked for halibut close to home

It gets down to real specifics and local knowledge for that area, but in general terms halibut move shallower in summer and deeper in winter. They also prefer gravel or rocky bottoms to sand, and especially mud or silt. You'll get them here and there on sand, but almost never on mud silt. I've never fished down there, but I bet I could look at a nav chart and spot likely places simply by looking at the patterns of water depth and bottom type. Add in rich food sources, and you have it pegged.

Someone local down there want to PM him with a few popular, well known locations that won't be revealing any secret hotspots?

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    Anyone? Some one here has to have looked for halibut close to home
    Yes, you can catch them in the inside waters. There are some good fishing off the sound end of Gravina Island and also around the north end of the island and few good spots along the west side. If you go out of the north end boat launch you can run over to Cleveland Peninsula and fish the southeastern side or run across to Twenty Fathom Bank of the east side of POW island.