Thread: 257 weatherby mag for sheep?

Default 257 weatherby mag for sheep?

I just picked up a 257 weatherby mag mark 5 ultralight. I was wondering how many other people are using this caliber? Seems to shoot extreamly well so far. A lot of talk about the 243 on here and the consensus is that it is a great gun so I would imagine the 257 is equally as good. I have never had any experience with it but am loving it. Only about two more months to go.

I can't imagine a .257Wby would be anything but wonderful for sheep... the .257 is far more powerful than a .243 on paper and on game.

I've messed with one some and was impressed. Incredibly flat shooting and in an accurate, lightweight MkV I'd say you're all set.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I used a 257 Weatherby Vanguard 2 last year for my sheep hunt. It killed my Ram at 506 yards. Great caliber IMHO. Good luck and happy hunting.

My Dad used to shoot a 257 Wildcat and killed many, MANY a big mule deer. All his hunting buds used to call it the "meat gun". I would think it was something akin to the Weathrby. If it could kill big mule deer, it can kill sheep just as easy.

Good choice...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think it would make a great sheep, deer, bear, caribou, etc cartridge. If you reload try the 100gr TTSX bullets and 72gr of RL22. This load was sub moa in two rifles that I had that were chambered for this round.

up until my financial plans changed I was going to buy a 257 weatherby.. Personally I believe it is one of the absolute best calibers out there .. Pretty sure I heard it was ole Roys favorite too and that there should tell you something.. I will own one soon..

My experiences with the 1/4 bore have been nothing but excellent. Having had the 257 Roberts,250 Savage, 25-06 and several Wildcats, Never had a Weatherby in the battery though. These rifles have harvested animals to the size of elk with me behind the trigger, one elk at over a 1/4 mile. Smaller bored/high velocity rifles need bullets which will hold together while penetrating and not explode on the outer muscle mass, sheep will require a bullet around 100-120 grn bullet. Some Weatherby ammo is loaded with Barnes TSX, Nosler Partitions, Nosler Accubonds, Nosler Interbonds these bullets should deliver the meat to the freezer. Good Luck in your high mountain endeavor...!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I can't imagine a .257Wby would be anything but wonderful for sheep...

That would be my thought as well with a heavy for calibre bullet like a 110-120gr. Something with a screaming ballistic coefficient and a bonded core. Hate to shoot something in the shoulder at 50 yards at .257wby speeds with an aluminum foil bullet.

Brett

I have read that there are certain calibers that just seem to kill disproportionate to their size. The 257 Weatherby was one of those calibers that just seem to kill effectively and efficently, much more so that other similar sized calibers. I do not own a 257WBy, but someday I hope to...

I think a .257 mag would be a good choice. I shot a few sheep years ago with a .257 Roberts using both 100 and 120 grain bullets. I held my shots to about 200 yards. Always knocked them down but when I got up to them they were still alive. Partly because of that and also because I knew I would sometimes have to take longer shots to harvest a truly big ram, I switched to a .270 or .284. I believe a mag with 120 grains would be able to perform well.

My wife and I just returned from South Africa where she shot a kudu and impala and I took an impala, 2 blesbuck and 2 wart hog with her .257 Roberts. We used Federal Vital Shock 120gr Nosler Partition ammo. A great caliber that we've used to take lots of deer, a cow elk and a couple of black bears. I'd like to try the Weatherby Magnum sometime. Any comments on recoil comparison to the standard .
    257 Roberts?
    Last edited by JuneauEd; 07-02-2013 at 10:56. Reason: correction