Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Unit 13 caribou thread. (2013-2014)

Default The official Unit 13 caribou thread. (2013-2014)

Alright, here we go again. We begin the official thread for disseminating rumors, misinformation, opinions and wild speculation about the Nelchina caribou herd and the upcoming hunt for it. I talked to Becky at the Glennallen field office last week. According to her, the hunters last year came in almost 2000 under quota. That's preliminary good news. We may have a pretty good surplus this year with that. As weird as this winter was, remember that the herd actually grew in size over the 2011-2012 winter which was far worse as far as total snow. They should be flying the survey within the next week or two. I'll try and get someone on the phone as soon as possible and get a summary of how the herd is looking. It is confirmed that all the drawing tags have been converted to any caribou, not any bull. I hope they eliminate the boundary lines again, but we'll have to wait and see for that. Anyways, good luck, safe hunting and may God put meat in all of your freezers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Is there any studies or information on how moose and caribou fare during hot dry summers like this one has been so far? I'm curious about how it would affect their weight, behavior, antler size, etc. Has the state studied this somewhere?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Don't they usually have the population survey done by the first or second week in July? I'm curious as well to see if they combine the hunts like last year. That would be nice, only time will tell I guess.

I'm all ears!!!!

Personally, I hope they don't combine the hunt areas. With something like 12,000 caribou permits out there, many of those hunters and family also chasing a moose if they see it, it puts too much pressure on the easier to access spots (Denali Highway, etc...) and likely would be detrimental to both the hunting experience as well as the already marginal moose populations. No, I am not trying to be selfish here since where I hunt is not an easy to access area and thus combining the hunts would actually benefit me somewhat. I just think it would be best if people were forced to hunt in the subunits their permits were given in, forcing people to spread out a bit and not focus so much impact on a few select locations.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Personally, I hope they don't combine the hunt areas. With something like 12,000 caribou permits out there, many of those hunters and family also chasing a moose if they see it, it puts too much pressure on the easier to access spots (Denali Highway, etc...) and likely would be detrimental to both the hunting experience as well as the already marginal moose populations. No, I am not trying to be selfish here since where I hunt is not an easy to access area and thus combining the hunts would actually benefit me somewhat. I just think it would be best if people were forced to hunt in the subunits their permits were given in, forcing people to spread out a bit and not focus so much impact on a few select locations.
    +1.... And I will admit it is a little selfish on my part.

Just got back from unit 13 today. We saw tons of sign an orphaned calf. The little bugger stayed within 200 yards of the tent for about and hour. I know this is the caribou thread but does anyone have some intel on the bears down there. Temp were in the high 40's during the night and high 60's to low 70's during the day.

We need denalihunter to check in, especially about the water levels.

A couple of buddies with machines can't make our Denali highway trip for the fourth so it looks like I'm solo now with the rhino. I'd like to head up to the west end of the Denali to check out some new trails and scout terrain. I would love to join anyone who will be out on wheelers.

PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    We need denalihunter to check in, especially about the water levels.
    When I drove over the Susitna bridge yesterday there were NO braids. Never seen anything like it in the 4 years I've been recreating up there. Swollen!!!!!

Brett

Default Combining

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post

I agree to a point, but I'm afraid if they do not combine the areas again that they will again be way under there quota

Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I agree to a point, but I'm afraid if they do not combine the areas again that they will again be way under there quota
    Maybe, but I am hoping that they issued the high number of permits with the knowledge of the high take necessary this year. Last year caught them off guard. I am hoping that they learned from that and "guessed" a bit better this year where the take will be closer to what they want. Last year, they needed a very high success rate to get to the quota. This year, they gave out far more permits and maybe a slightly higher quota, meaning they should need a lower success rate to reach it. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

So... what? If the exact "quota" is not killed that is a huge problem? I'm sure plenty got killed, don't worry too much guys. And if we do get totally overrun by caribou, I'm sure F&G (in their infinite wisdom) will implement some kind of "hot spot" hunt or arial eradication. It will all be OK

ADFG released an additional amount of tags like last year. Not sure when they go out in the mail.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I believe the GMU13 biologists will be a little conservative this year. With a "lacking" caribou count, "drawing & Teir 1" hunters may be restricted (i.e. bull only) this year. The caribou counts were completed late last week and with quite a few caribou "missing" and a high bull:cow ratio, I would not be surprised that they issue some sort of "order/notice" in the coming weeks.

In the "Wait and See" category here......
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Alright, here we go again. We begin the official thread for disseminating rumors, misinformation, opinions and wild speculation about the Nelchina caribou herd and the upcoming hunt for it. I talked to Becky at the Glennallen field office last week. According to her, the hunters last year came in almost 2000 under quota. That's preliminary good news. We may have a pretty good surplus this year with that. As weird as this winter was, remember that the herd actually grew in size over the 2011-2012 winter which was far worse as far as total snow. They should be flying the survey within the next week or two. I'll try and get someone on the phone as soon as possible and get a summary of how the herd is looking. It is confirmed that all the drawing tags have been converted to any caribou, not any bull. I hope they eliminate the boundary lines again, but we'll have to wait and see for that. Anyways, good luck, safe hunting and may God put meat in all of your freezers.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeProclivity83 View Post
    I believe the GMU13 biologists will be a little conservative this year. With a "lacking" caribou count, "drawing & Teir 1" hunters may be restricted (i.e. bull only) this year. The caribou counts were completed late last week and with quite a few caribou "missing" and a high bull:cow ratio, I would not be surprised that they issue some sort of "order/notice" in the coming weeks.

In the "Wait and See" category here......
    A bit contrary to the OP. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    ADFG released an additional amount of tags like last year. Not sure when they go out in the mail.
    Where did you hear this? This is the first I have heard.

Did the tags from the original drawing go out yet? My wife and I drew bull tags but haven't received them in the mail.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Did the tags from the original drawing go out yet? My wife and I drew bull tags but haven't received them in the mail.

Typically, tags are not mailed until just a few weeks prior to opener, so I would expect them around the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    I don't think so. They usually don't go out until the 2nd or 3rd week of July I think.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast