Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1082

Thread: The official Unit 13 caribou thread. (2013-2014)

  1. #1
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default The official Unit 13 caribou thread. (2013-2014)

    Alright, here we go again. We begin the official thread for disseminating rumors, misinformation, opinions and wild speculation about the Nelchina caribou herd and the upcoming hunt for it. I talked to Becky at the Glennallen field office last week. According to her, the hunters last year came in almost 2000 under quota. That's preliminary good news. We may have a pretty good surplus this year with that. As weird as this winter was, remember that the herd actually grew in size over the 2011-2012 winter which was far worse as far as total snow. They should be flying the survey within the next week or two. I'll try and get someone on the phone as soon as possible and get a summary of how the herd is looking. It is confirmed that all the drawing tags have been converted to any caribou, not any bull. I hope they eliminate the boundary lines again, but we'll have to wait and see for that. Anyways, good luck, safe hunting and may God put meat in all of your freezers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  2. #2
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Is there any studies or information on how moose and caribou fare during hot dry summers like this one has been so far? I'm curious about how it would affect their weight, behavior, antler size, etc. Has the state studied this somewhere?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  3. #3
    Member tbone131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Don't they usually have the population survey done by the first or second week in July? I'm curious as well to see if they combine the hunts like last year. That would be nice, only time will tell I guess.

  4. #4
    Member Spookum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Square banks
    Posts
    358

    Default

    I'm all ears!!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Personally, I hope they don't combine the hunt areas. With something like 12,000 caribou permits out there, many of those hunters and family also chasing a moose if they see it, it puts too much pressure on the easier to access spots (Denali Highway, etc...) and likely would be detrimental to both the hunting experience as well as the already marginal moose populations. No, I am not trying to be selfish here since where I hunt is not an easy to access area and thus combining the hunts would actually benefit me somewhat. I just think it would be best if people were forced to hunt in the subunits their permits were given in, forcing people to spread out a bit and not focus so much impact on a few select locations.

  6. #6
    Member .300wby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Personally, I hope they don't combine the hunt areas. With something like 12,000 caribou permits out there, many of those hunters and family also chasing a moose if they see it, it puts too much pressure on the easier to access spots (Denali Highway, etc...) and likely would be detrimental to both the hunting experience as well as the already marginal moose populations. No, I am not trying to be selfish here since where I hunt is not an easy to access area and thus combining the hunts would actually benefit me somewhat. I just think it would be best if people were forced to hunt in the subunits their permits were given in, forcing people to spread out a bit and not focus so much impact on a few select locations.
    +1.... And I will admit it is a little selfish on my part.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Just got back from unit 13 today. We saw tons of sign an orphaned calf. The little bugger stayed within 200 yards of the tent for about and hour. I know this is the caribou thread but does anyone have some intel on the bears down there. Temp were in the high 40's during the night and high 60's to low 70's during the day.

  8. #8
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    We need denalihunter to check in, especially about the water levels.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    A couple of buddies with machines can't make our Denali highway trip for the fourth so it looks like I'm solo now with the rhino. I'd like to head up to the west end of the Denali to check out some new trails and scout terrain. I would love to join anyone who will be out on wheelers.

    PM me if interested.

  10. #10
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    We need denalihunter to check in, especially about the water levels.
    When I drove over the Susitna bridge yesterday there were NO braids. Never seen anything like it in the 4 years I've been recreating up there. Swollen!!!!!

    Brett

  11. #11
    Member crossfoxAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    155

    Default Combining

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Personally, I hope they don't combine the hunt areas. With something like 12,000 caribou permits out there, many of those hunters and family also chasing a moose if they see it, it puts too much pressure on the easier to access spots (Denali Highway, etc...) and likely would be detrimental to both the hunting experience as well as the already marginal moose populations. No, I am not trying to be selfish here since where I hunt is not an easy to access area and thus combining the hunts would actually benefit me somewhat. I just think it would be best if people were forced to hunt in the subunits their permits were given in, forcing people to spread out a bit and not focus so much impact on a few select locations.

    I agree to a point, but I'm afraid if they do not combine the areas again that they will again be way under there quota

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crossfoxAK View Post
    I agree to a point, but I'm afraid if they do not combine the areas again that they will again be way under there quota
    Maybe, but I am hoping that they issued the high number of permits with the knowledge of the high take necessary this year. Last year caught them off guard. I am hoping that they learned from that and "guessed" a bit better this year where the take will be closer to what they want. Last year, they needed a very high success rate to get to the quota. This year, they gave out far more permits and maybe a slightly higher quota, meaning they should need a lower success rate to reach it. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

  13. #13
    Member .300wby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    236

    Default

    So... what? If the exact "quota" is not killed that is a huge problem? I'm sure plenty got killed, don't worry too much guys. And if we do get totally overrun by caribou, I'm sure F&G (in their infinite wisdom) will implement some kind of "hot spot" hunt or arial eradication. It will all be OK

  14. #14
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    ADFG released an additional amount of tags like last year. Not sure when they go out in the mail.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  15. #15

    Default

    I believe the GMU13 biologists will be a little conservative this year. With a "lacking" caribou count, "drawing & Teir 1" hunters may be restricted (i.e. bull only) this year. The caribou counts were completed late last week and with quite a few caribou "missing" and a high bull:cow ratio, I would not be surprised that they issue some sort of "order/notice" in the coming weeks.

    In the "Wait and See" category here......
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Alright, here we go again. We begin the official thread for disseminating rumors, misinformation, opinions and wild speculation about the Nelchina caribou herd and the upcoming hunt for it. I talked to Becky at the Glennallen field office last week. According to her, the hunters last year came in almost 2000 under quota. That's preliminary good news. We may have a pretty good surplus this year with that. As weird as this winter was, remember that the herd actually grew in size over the 2011-2012 winter which was far worse as far as total snow. They should be flying the survey within the next week or two. I'll try and get someone on the phone as soon as possible and get a summary of how the herd is looking. It is confirmed that all the drawing tags have been converted to any caribou, not any bull. I hope they eliminate the boundary lines again, but we'll have to wait and see for that. Anyways, good luck, safe hunting and may God put meat in all of your freezers.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeProclivity83 View Post
    I believe the GMU13 biologists will be a little conservative this year. With a "lacking" caribou count, "drawing & Teir 1" hunters may be restricted (i.e. bull only) this year. The caribou counts were completed late last week and with quite a few caribou "missing" and a high bull:cow ratio, I would not be surprised that they issue some sort of "order/notice" in the coming weeks.

    In the "Wait and See" category here......
    A bit contrary to the OP. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out between the two.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    ADFG released an additional amount of tags like last year. Not sure when they go out in the mail.
    Where did you hear this? This is the first I have heard.

  18. #18
    Member Doug in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Did the tags from the original drawing go out yet? My wife and I drew bull tags but haven't received them in the mail.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Did the tags from the original drawing go out yet? My wife and I drew bull tags but haven't received them in the mail.

    Typically, tags are not mailed until just a few weeks prior to opener, so I would expect them around the end of this month.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Did the tags from the original drawing go out yet? My wife and I drew bull tags but haven't received them in the mail.
    I don't think so. They usually don't go out until the 2nd or 3rd week of July I think.

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •