Thread: 200 opti sportjet troubleshooting question

Default 200 opti sportjet troubleshooting question

I was running my optimax 200 sportjet this last weekend and noticed that at higher rpms (5000 or more) it started "stumbling." it would run for a few seconds just fine then it seemed literally starved for fuel for a second and rpms would drop and then rev back up again when it seemed like it had fuel again. I could maintain my speed, but the problem was concerning. I could run at 4600 rpm fine with no problems or stumbling at all, but at 5000 it was cutting in an out and at 5200 rpms to problem was very noticeable and worse. I started the trip out with the problem and tried it again at the end of the trip after about 3 hours running and the problem was still there. the fuel is good and new, but I'm thinking fuel filter and/or fuel pump. what are your thoughts???? Any other possibilities that i'm missing??

How many rpms do those things cruze at and whats is the maximun your supposed to get? Maybe its a rev limiter 5000 doesnt really seem hat high to me though

Quote Originally Posted by redneck doctor View Post
    I was running my optimax 200 sportjet this last weekend and noticed that at higher rpms (5000 or more) it started "stumbling." it would run for a few seconds just fine then it seemed literally starved for fuel for a second and rpms would drop and then rev back up again when it seemed like it had fuel again. I could maintain my speed, but the problem was concerning. I could run at 4600 rpm fine with no problems or stumbling at all, but at 5000 it was cutting in an out and at 5200 rpms to problem was very noticeable and worse. I started the trip out with the problem and tried it again at the end of the trip after about 3 hours running and the problem was still there. the fuel is good and new, but I'm thinking fuel filter and/or fuel pump. what are your thoughts???? Any other possibilities that i'm missing??

How many hours do you have past the recommended plug change, maybe that's the problem. Oh maybe fouling with all that oil pumping at higher RPM's. Mine does not do it, but I only have 57 hours

I would start with fuel filters and see if it clears up.

I second Nate's suggestion, but...
    Those engines have 3 fuel pumps, and you need all three to run. Mine was acting the same way right before it died upstream of some small rapids. Luckily I could idle it to the bank. Id be careful of where I went until I knew I had the problem figured out.