Thread: Another Electra-Dyne installation...

Default Another Electra-Dyne installation...

Decided to simplify the boat a bit, and removed the hydraulic pot puller set up it came with, and swapped in an electric puller.

Went back and forth between the Saf-t-Puller and the Electra-Dyne, and finally decided on the Electra-Dyne...

That was my first test pull, on some pots I'd just set. I didn't pull them all the way up. Just wanted to make sure the sheave was the right width to grip the line, and that the rope splitter was set up right. It will feed line right into a tub without any need for me to guide it in (within reason of course.)

The motor and gearbox are much bigger than the saf-t-puller...

I used 4 guage wire from the battery to the motor. Routed the main length through some 1" clear tubing to reduce any chaffing. Also used a regular plastic thru-hull fitting...

Have some extra wire coiled up for now, as I intend to add a plug so I can remove the puller without undoing the terminal nuts...

Also that's an inline Blue Seas fuse holder and 100amp fuse. No 80amp fuses in town right now.

Another future plan is to add a reverse polarizing switch so it will turn both directions.

Sure has added some much need room to the boat. Plus it's quiet.

[QUOTEAnother future plan is to add a reverse polarizing switch so it will turn both directions[/QUOTE]

Couldn't be happier with my E-dyne ..... but can see that a reversing switch would be quite useful. Also hope to experiment a little with the location of the splitter knives and fairlead pulley. Also, have learned to run the idle up to 1400 or 1500 turns while pulling pots to offset battery drain. I run a single Yamaha 115 FS ..... not sure what the alternator puts out.

Congrats on the E-Dyne. They sure are great. I'd suggest getting rid of that big fuse and holder and get one of these instead.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Surface+Mount

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks like a slick rig! I'm working on an Electra-dyne install...mine will be the proletariat version... really looking forward to a test run. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Congrats on the E-Dyne. They sure are great. I'd suggest getting rid of that big fuse and holder and get one of these instead.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+Surface+Mount

That looks like an excellent alternative to the old fashion fuse and holder. My bank account thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Looks like a slick rig! I'm working on an Electra-dyne install...mine will be the proletariat version... really looking forward to a test run. Congrats!!
    I'm thinking my little 22ft drop bow skiff is about as small and plain a boat I've seen with an E-Dyne. You've got your work cut out for you, to go any cheaper than I did.

On a general note... I'm going to need that arm that attaches to the puller, right at the splitter, to feed the line more directly down into the tub. I've found that with the tension of the pots, as the line is retrieved, the line is pulled tightly enough into the sheave that is doesn't drop out from gravity at the 6:00 o'clock position. It goes all the way to the splitter, and is a bit too close to the inside edge of the gunnel to fall cleanly into the tub.

Found this configuration worked good on my boat. I use one large tub to hold all three pot lines .... and needed the lines to fall into the tub a little farther from the gunnel. In this set up the line also remains pinched right up to the splitter. Added the UHMW deflector for a little extra guidance .... but, not sure it was really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    [QUOTEAnother future plan is to add a reverse polarizing switch so it will turn both directions
    Couldn't be happier with my E-dyne ..... but can see that a reversing switch would be quite useful. Also hope to experiment a little with the location of the splitter knives and fairlead pulley. Also, have learned to run the idle up to 1400 or 1500 turns while pulling pots to offset battery drain. I run a single Yamaha 115 FS ..... not sure what the alternator puts out.[/QUOTE]

The folks at ED have tried to find a good reversing switch and never found anything that would hold up to use on a lobsterboat and what they did find made it look like the wiring in Frankenstein's lab. If you do rig something up just remember when you reverse the direction you'll lose the bite on the rope and the load will drop. Glad your liking the hauler Bob, where's that video ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Found this configuration worked good on my boat. I use one large tub to hold all three pot lines .... and needed the lines to fall into the tub a little farther from the gunnel. In this set up the line also remains pinched right up to the splitter. Added the UHMW deflector for a little extra guidance .... but, not sure it was really needed.

I'm kinda confused on where the rope is spitting out on your set up ?? Does it come out on the top of the splitter ?? I think if you try it rigged like the picture below and it will "bite" into the plates and drop into your tote. OR move the splitter on your set up to to aprox just above the cleat like where the letter E is. Its nice to see all the different ways of mounting the haulers gives the potential owners ideas.

bobs ed.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Decided to simplify the boat a bit, and removed the hydraulic pot puller set up it came with, and swapped in an electric puller.

Went back and forth between the Saf-t-Puller and the Electra-Dyne, and finally decided on the Electra-Dyne...

That was my first test pull, on some pots I'd just set. I didn't pull them all the way up. Just wanted to make sure the sheave was the right width to grip the line, and that the rope splitter was set up right. It will feed line right into a tub without any need for me to guide it in (within reason of course.)

The motor and gearbox are much bigger than the saf-t-puller...

I used 4 guage wire from the battery to the motor. Routed the main length through some 1" clear tubing to reduce any chaffing. Also used a regular plastic thru-hull fitting...

Have some extra wire coiled up for now, as I intend to add a plug so I can remove the puller without undoing the terminal nuts...

Also that's an inline Blue Seas fuse holder and 100amp fuse. No 80amp fuses in town right now.

Another future plan is to add a reverse polarizing switch so it will turn both directions.

Sure has added some much need room to the boat. Plus it's quiet.
    Looks great Brian and thanks for posting the pics on here for others to see. Looks like it wasn't to big a deal to adapt your davit to the ED.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'm kinda confused on where the rope is spitting out on your set up ?? Does it come out on the top of the splitter ?? I think if you try it rigged like the picture below and it will "bite" into the plates and drop into your tote. OR move the splitter on your set up to to aprox just above the cleat like where the letter E is. Its nice to see all the different ways of mounting the haulers gives the potential owners ideas.

bobs ed.jpg
    Sorry about no video yet Steve ..... just got back from the Sound, but the video mode of my camera didn't get what I was trying for. I will try again next trip, promise.

Yes the rope comes over the top falls into the tub ..... I sometimes use the palm of my gloved hand to deflect the line downward.

I plan on trying some different configurations till I get what works best. I do think the spot above the cleat may be the best eventual choice. Didn't really want to grind off the raised letters ..... and drill and tap to get a flat mounting surface for the splitter .... but good chance I'll end up doing it.

I've been able to leave the pots attached to the pot line .... and run the 'toggle and all' right around the fairlead and plates. Makes re-baiting and re-setting easy. If the toggle jams a bit coming through the first block ...... a touch from a reversing switch would be useful.

Sorry about no video yet Steve ..... just got back from the Sound, but the video mode of my camera didn't get what I was trying for. I will try again next trip, promise.

Yes the rope comes over the top falls into the tub ..... I sometimes use the palm of my gloved hand to deflect the line downward.

I plan on trying some different configurations till I get what works best. I do think the spot above the cleat may be the best eventual choice. Didn't really want to grind off the raised letters ..... and drill and tap to get a flat mounting surface for the splitter .... but good chance I'll end up doing it.

I've been able to leave the pots attached to the pot line .... and run the 'toggle and all' right around the fairlead and plates. Makes re-baiting and re-setting easy. If the toggle jams a bit coming through the first block ...... a touch from a reversing switch would be useful.
    Put the toggle on the pot bridle then all you'll have is a knot for the dropper to run thru the plates !! OK to mount the knife over the letter E you'll have to move the bronze hub out on the shaft a bit to get the plates to sit out a bit, mount the splitter on a thicker piece of rubber over the E and just try bolting the splitter on to the backing plate, you'll have to mess around with some thin washers/shims to get the splitter to run true between the plates but its not a big deal to do it, your WAY OVER QUALIFIED to not to get it to work. OR just bolt the splitter above the E and be done with it. Don't make me come down there and show you what i mean !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Drop by any time. My shops messier than yours.

Drop by any time. My shops messier than yours.
    I likes messy shops !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

My 90hp yammie has a 35 amp alternator. I don't see voltage drop below 11.8 at 1000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Looks great Brian and thanks for posting the pics on here for others to see. Looks like it wasn't to big a deal to adapt your davit to the ED.
    No problem. It's not a perfect install, but it works great.

Shrimp were killed in this adventure…

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My 90hp yammie has a 35 amp alternator. I don't see voltage drop below 11.8 at 1000 rpm.
    That's because the battery is taking the load, if the motor was running off the alternator it would be above 12.6v.