Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ak Hunting News: ATVs to be Restricted in Wrangell St. Elias Preserve

Arrow Ak Hunting News: ATVs to be Restricted in Wrangell St. Elias Preserve

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

A court settlement is restricting ATV use on three trails in the north part of the Wrangell St Elias National Park and Preserve except when the ground is frozen, according to the Anchorage Daily News. The Park Service must review ATV use for compatibility with purposes of the Park unit by 2010.

Mostly sport hunters will be affected by the settlement. Local hunters able to hunt under federal subsistence rules will continue to be able to use the trails, the paper reported.

"The three trails are the Copper Lake, Tanada Lake and Suslota Lake trails. Those are in boggy areas, according to the Park Service, and NCPA (National Parks Conservation Association) contends that those were the most damaged by ATVs."

Read the entire article in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Default HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Newsbot View Post
    This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

A court settlement is restricting ATV use on three trails in the north part of the Wrangell St Elias National Park and Preserve except when the ground is frozen, according to the Anchorage Daily News. The Park Service must review ATV use for compatibility with purposes of the Park unit by 2010.

Mostly sport hunters will be affected by the settlement. Local hunters able to hunt under federal subsistence rules will continue to be able to use the trails, the paper reported.

"The three trails are the Copper Lake, Tanada Lake and Suslota Lake trails. Those are in boggy areas, according to the Park Service, and NCPA (National Parks Conservation Association) contends that those were the most damaged by ATVs."

Read the entire article in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.
    Figures.
    Subsistence hunters can "damage" the trail but others can't! lol!! So, so laughable...

Wow. That's unconstitutional.

Default you guys don't understand

"subsistence" hunters actually float above the tundra and leave no mark. their 4 wheelers also have zero emissions ; and if they kill a moose, it's OK with the greenies, because they're "different". than everybody else.

puke

Angry

I'm more than a little pissed about this. What activities do the do-gooder bunny humpers do that I can f**k with? Can we get an environmental impact statement on tree hugging and bunny hugging? I don't own wheelers but was looking forward to hunting this with a buddy that has 'em. Four years? ***? Funny thing is the Tanada trail has been there for years and has been used for hunting for at least 35 years. I hate greenies! I'm going to Girdwood to take a hike and sh*t on their trails, maybe they can study that for four years!

Tim
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-18-2007 at 01:29.

This needs to be challenged in court.

Same sorta thing happened in Denali NP. Unless residents could PROVE "tradtional use" of ATV's/Fourwheelers prior to a certain year, they could'nt use them (except in VERY limited means). Of course, no one really could prove this so the ATV use in DNP was slashed drastically. It was only a matter of time, I guess. As far as challenging it in court, good luck.....but it might be worth a shot....I dunno.

Thumbs down This is just the beginning...

Granted some of the aforementioned streams are anadromous, you can bet your assets that this is just the start of big bro's interference in your good time, Alaskans.
    Lost creek, trail creek....they are next.

A True story: Perhaps the Park Service can explain to some of us why they buried a huge cow moose that died of old age back on up the Suslota Creek trail. That was back in '99.
    I can only figure they had forgotten about the fragility of that sensitive area while using that big backhoe to bury said moose.
    My real suspicions are that they wanted to eliminate the possibility of a hunter killing a bear over that moose and they could have cared less about the "flora and fauna".

Hypocrites, and many are closet greenies and anti hunter..

Wouldn't "true" hunters support this? Surely the habitat is more important than access for a bunch of "sport" hunters.
    Eh?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There is a point when NPS goes over the line. Some may know about the Doug Frederick case, really ticks me off what NPS is doing over there. Picture on below link is not what our NPS rangers are supposed to be about.
    http://www.landrights.org/ak/wrst/rangers.htm

Default So much for my hunt

I already had vacation for moose hunting up there this year. So much for that. I suppose I can hunt on foot, no big deal, but the natives will be able to access the game..I won't.

Here is the case that Bushrat was referring to:
    http://www.mccarthy-kennicott.com/JF2004/page3.html

Johnny

Default bushrat..

Mark...
    whatever happened to Doug Fredericks business? Did it indeed go out of business because of No access?
    Johnny

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post

Here is the case that Bushrat was referring to:
    http://www.mccarthy-kennicott.com/JF2004/page3.html

Johnny
    Is that case really STILL in court? I heard about that case a few years back and figured it was over.

On another note...the National Park Conservation Association does NOT want to recognize riding ATVs in the park as a traditional/customary activity, and I agree this is a HUGE victory for Jim Stratton and the NPCA. I wouldn't be surprised (pissed, but not surprised) if this trail NEVER opened again to riding.

Tim

The case is over; you can read Judge Roberts decision here:
    http://landrights.org/ak/wrst/Frederick.04-01-06.htm

And here is what the Kenyon's paper said about it:
    http://www.mccarthy-kennicott.com/MA2004/index.html

Johnny, last I heard from friends in the area, Doug and Judy had closed the Nabesna lodge, but not sure if I am remembering that right or not.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Wouldn't "true" hunters support this? Surely the habitat is more important than access for a bunch of "sport" hunters.
    Eh?
    Not really . . .

Thumbs down hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Eh?
    I wasn't gonna touch this baited hook, but define "sport" hunter, Mike.
    I could give a rat's rear about moose antler size, I hunt for meat. Many of us do! The 50" three/four brow regs mean I may have to get a big guy if not a spike/fork, does that make me a sport hunter?!

Alaska is so full of federal and state sponsored discrimination and folks wonder why we have ugly racial and cultural tension, go figure. Let's make it a real melting pot and make all equal. Finally.

Frank

Frank, methinks Martentrapper was being tongue in cheek with his post. C'mon, when's the last time you heard Mike talk like that <grin>.

Darn it, bushrat has me pegged. I'll never have fun here again!

Frank, your not a res anymore. You lost your right to bit**. You can still write your congressmen and complain about fed law tho.
    I can't define sport hunter. Most of us hunt under sport regs, but we want, and are required to salvage, the meat. On one hand, the state and feds see us as sport hunters, but we are required to be subsistence hunters. There's no real legal way to define who is what.
    What it comes down to is eliminating hunters during times of population lows. The state does it one way, the feds another. You can cry all you want, but in truth, the goals are the same..........to restrict human take so populations, and in some cases, habitat, can rebuild and everyone can come back in and hunt.
    If you want to influence wildlife management in this state you might look at joining, or contributing to the Safari Club. They are one of the few, if not only, orgs that have made an effort to change things at the fed level.
    If it consoles you any, the feds originally fought the use of ATVs by anyone in fed units. Only after years of discussion and maybe court time have they relented, in some areas, and allowed local users to use them.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sounds good to me, as ATVs really do tear up the land. Of course, it should be in affect for all, even the locals. At least till the ground freezes up.

wait you are alowed to use ATVs and sport hunt in a national park at all?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast