Thread: The Orphan

Default The Orphan

IMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpg Met this guy on one of my jobsites on Wednesday. I'm used to young, curious bulls but I have never had one act this na´ve, curious and interested in humans. I put my arms up like antlers and swayed and it held his attention like I've never seen. I made one quick snort/grunt and he started walking straight at me, ears perked up, all curious. Not the tiniest sign of aggression. At about 10 feet, I started walking backwards away from him. The funny thing was, walking away, I turned around the back of a shed hopefully so he would lose interest and keep browsing. He actually stopped at the corner, looked around and sniffed for me, saw me, turned the corner and started again right for me. He was seriously following me around like a puppy, it was so funny. I ditched him and kept working while he browsed not more than 50 feet from me for an hour. I could talk or whistle and he would look around and sniff for me. A little while later, I warned the homeowner about him and asked if she wanted me to try to keep him away from her crabapple trees. She said no and proceeded to tell me he had been born in the neighborhood and his mama had died at the end of his first summer. He managed to make it through the winter and she says he has stayed super close, pretty much never leaving the neighborhood and is way more comfortable around humans than most moose she's seen. Very interesting moose. Has anyone else dealt with or seen a moose that was orphaned and became way socialized and accustomed to people? I'm going to see if he's still around there after September 3rd when that left antler of his forks out. It sure made me hungry what with him coming so close to me. I could have killed him with a machete.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Also, opinions on how much more his antlers will grow by September?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Also, opinions on how much more his antlers will grow by September?
    Mulligan.....

That's trouble in waiting...better that someone eventually takes him out.

One time while moose hunting I was walking into a place that I call from. As I approached I saw a couple cows close to the actual spot I call from. They ended up seeing me but didn't spook and wandered off. I went to my spot and started calling. Next thing I know both the cows started coming in close. I watched them and just kept calling. Before I knew it they were about 10-15 feet away just checking me out and feeding. Over the years I've called in plenty of cows, but these two had absolutely no fear and walked all around me the whole time I was calling. They hung around for about an hour and eventually just wandered off. I guess they thought I was kinda cute
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    That's trouble in waiting...better that someone eventually takes him out.
    I think that just depends on the circumstances. Many years ago there was a bull that grew up around the visitors center here in Soldotna. He never showed any aggression towards people. In fact they even put a picture in the paper of two guys holding a tape measure across his horns while he was standing there. Moose like the the little guy here that are orphaned and spend a few years near people and not harassed can end up being pretty tame.....

Default Teddy

My home seems to attract the orphans. Teddy first showed up without a mom. He spent a lot of the first winter trying to starve to death................................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .. .................................................. ........................Teddy still comes over to see what is happenin................................Gotta watch those horns, they will bang your head.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    My home seems to attract the orphans. Teddy first showed up without a mom. He spent a lot of the first winter trying to starve to death.
    How cool is that...???!!!

Reminds me of the pictures I used to see of an old lady that used to let a full grown cow into her house......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I think that just depends on the circumstances. Many years ago there was a bull that grew up around the visitors center here in Soldotna. He never showed any aggression towards people. In fact they even put a picture in the paper of two guys holding a tape measure across his horns while he was standing there. Moose like the the little guy here that are orphaned and spend a few years near people and not harassed can end up being pretty tame.....
    I agree, but since he lives in the 'remainder of unit 14C', I'm probably not going to give him the chance.

my guess is he is going to be a paddle bull and most likely not legal. In my observations a spike or fork come August would have 2 or 3 inch spikes right now. He's about ready to form paddles already. But, maybe one side or both will fork out.

My home seems to attract the orphans. Teddy first showed up without a mom. He spent a lot of the first winter trying to starve to death............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........ .................................................. ........................Teddy still comes over to see what is happenin................................Gotta watch those horns, they will bang your head.
    Beautiful!

Yah, there was a young bull that walked into a diner I was cooking at. A lady just started yelling at him. She grabbed an ear and drug him outside. Apparently he showed up that winter and she was bottle feeding goats. When he got big enough she just threw him in with the horses.... Very friendlyLOVED Cheetos... And he didn't mind being petted.

And just how many brow tines does teddy have now...

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    my guess is he is going to be a paddle bull and most likely not legal. In my observations a spike or fork come August would have 2 or 3 inch spikes right now. He's about ready to form paddles already. But, maybe one side or both will fork out.
    Even if they have a well defined paddle, it doesn't count toward the '3 points' if the tips of them are wider than they're length. You should see the one on the 'Is this moose legal?' DVD. It is totally paddled and even has 3 points, but one point of the paddle is wider than long so it doesn't count. They have to have 3 points to be disqualified as a fork and each point has to be over 1" long and longer than it is wide. That actually allows bulls with little paddles to be legal sometimes.

Look at 15:50 on this video. That's the one I'm talking about. It has a little palm, but because none of the points are long enough, it's considered a fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    And just how many brow tines does teddy have now...
    I haven't seen him this summer, but he has been at 2 brow tines for a couple of years. The shed he left me 2 winters ago is 2. He had 2 last fall.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I haven't seen him this summer, but he has been at 2 brow tines for a couple of years. The shed he left me 2 winters ago is 2. He had 2 last fall.
    To tell you the truth, I'm actually glad your buddy has survived......