Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main Bay Reds

Default Main Bay Reds

Just checking to see if anyone has any current news on the reds in main bay? Thanks

There were about as many boats as reds in there yesterday around lunchtime.
    We pulled 4 and 2 pinks in 3 hours.
    Our most effective method was sight-fishing.
    Fish were not stacked and there was lots of empty water.

You know, I'm not sure what to think about reds in salt water or in main bay. We went all the way back in main bay yesterday and didn't mark ANY schools and stayed around over an hour. Saw only a few jumping near shore. I have never been able to fish for reds in the salt and wanted to try it because the fishing report I posted here said "the reds are in full swing" in main bay. Really? I love those fishing reports, but either that's the way the reds are in there that they come or go... or that report assumed they should be in full swing. Anyway, didn't get anything. Got a few pinks outside more by eshamy. Talked to the local fishing store here in Eagle River and he stated that he "wouldn't even waste his time trying to fish for reds form your boat". Maybe he is right. But, of course if they aren't in the water you can't catch them. Guess that was the problem. Do people really ever do well when they are in?

Near shore is where you want to fish them! Sight casting is a blast!

We had a 3 boat limit in about an hour and a half. It was a blast. Commercial boats everywhere so we had to go slow. But once the fog lifted it was great. Awesome day!

we where there on Sunday and limited out. There where lots of boats back in there but everyone had there space and it seemed that a lot of people had tight lines. There where not fish jumping everywhere but if you got in the back of main bay near the fish pen there was plenty of fish for the taking. It took us a while to get our limits but that's partly my fault as I left the snag hooks in the truck. Overall it was a good trip there got some nice reds. Its a little far in my opinion though just for some reds.

Man, I was there Sunday and saw some other boats, but I thought they were having the same luck as me... nothing. So, help me out here, because I was all the way back there yesterday. Do I

1) Troll very slowly at 1mph with a flasher and 3/O red hook (like I was reading about on the web)
    2) Motor around until I see them on the fish finder and then drop the snag hooks out to the bottom and work them to the surface.
    3) Go toward shore and have somebody on the bow of the boat to get a visual on a school of reds and cast the snag hook into them and work the hook back to the boat
    4) None of the above.. you tell me how

It drives me a little crazy because I actually consider myself pretty good at fishing... trolling for silvers, dropping pots for shrimp, bottom fishing for halibut and rock fish, fishing for reds in the river, fly fishing for trout. BUT, I am clueless for reds in the salt with my boat and I was there in main bay yesterday and now here you guys limiting out!! ARRRGGG!! I'm smiling and angry at the same time. Guess that's why I love fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Man, I was there Sunday and saw some other boats, but I thought they were having the same luck as me... nothing. So, help me out here, because I was all the way back there yesterday. Do I

1) Troll very slowly at 1mph with a flasher and 3/O red hook (like I was reading about on the web)
    2) Motor around until I see them on the fish finder and then drop the snag hooks out to the bottom and work them to the surface.
    3) Go toward shore and have somebody on the bow of the boat to get a visual on a school of reds and cast the snag hook into them and work the hook back to the boat
    4) None of the above.. you tell me how

It drives me a little crazy because I actually consider myself pretty good at fishing... trolling for silvers, dropping pots for shrimp, bottom fishing for halibut and rock fish, fishing for reds in the river, fly fishing for trout. BUT, I am clueless for reds in the salt with my boat and I was there in main bay yesterday and now here you guys limiting out!! ARRRGGG!! I'm smiling and angry at the same time. Guess that's why I love fishing.
    #3. Sight fishing = spot the fish with your eyes and throw a hook out there and let 'er rip! Be careful, the hooks can leave a gnarly dent/mark in the side of the boat or somebodies face.

Ding, Ding. Number 3. Then follow them with your kicker and horizontal cast into the schools with a three finger'd silver lady (AKA weighted snagging hook). Think Russian river snagging technique amplified. The limit is 6 fish per person....2 day possession limit. You can add up some weight pretty quickly. Now - any advise on catching them flat critters in PWS? We have gotten a couple here and there, but I can't find a honey hole for the life of me.

Does the same technic work near Coghill or do the reds not school up there as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Ding, Ding. Number 3. Then follow them with your kicker and horizontal cast into the schools with a three finger'd silver lady (AKA weighted snagging hook). Think Russian river snagging technique amplified. The limit is 6 fish per person....2 day possession limit. You can add up some weight pretty quickly. Now - any advise on catching them flat critters in PWS? We have gotten a couple here and there, but I can't find a honey hole for the life of me.
    I think for halibut in the sound it's all about putting down plenty of scent to attract them to your location and from what I've been able to tell fishing seems to be best from 300-350 feet. I have found the best lures to use are the circle hooks, with squid that come with a little canister that I fill with herring oil. Every time I re-bait, I refill the canister with the oil each time. The next step is to be patient. It's not like Montague Island. You sometimes need to wait over an hour for the first bite (sometimes more). But once they find that scent line and start seeing other halibut buddies heading to it, seems things can start picking up. In the last fishing report it said people were catching in blackstone, so I don't know much about that. I have to say though, I before my boat I caught 2 really nice size halibut in a canoe right at the end of passage canal, by the tunnel. Actually, one that must have been over 100-150 pounds, got it all the way to the canoe (took 1 hour) and it started thrashing and broke our halibut rode in half and got off. All I remember was that this thing had eyes the size of billiard balls. My brother and I were so depressed for days, thinking about what story that would have been. Well, guess I still have the story but will never know just how big she was. Sorry... maybe off topic for this post, but interesting how close those halibut really are. They are everywhere in the sound.

Emu, have you had much success with this in Main Bay? I was out last week and tried it. Honestly, I think the key is with the buildup after/before a commercial opener and a good snagging hook as others have mentioned...but I also tried trolling a bare red hook w/o any luck. Perhaps I was going too fast. If it's worked for you, what kind of leader length and flasher size are you using....if you dont mind sharing.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Coghill gets pretty congested and the fish head up stream pretty quickly. Look at the numbers - coghill gets 146K - main bay gets 2+ Million reds.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Emu, have you had much success with this in Main Bay? I was out last week and tried it. Honestly, I think the key is with the buildup after/before a commercial opener and a good snagging hook as others have mentioned...but I also tried trolling a bare red hook w/o any luck. Perhaps I was going too fast. If it's worked for you, what kind of leader length and flasher size are you using....if you dont mind sharing.
    What I'm saying is that NOTHING has worked for me with reds in the ocean.

I was in Main Bay Saturday and Sunday. The fish did not show until about an hour after low tide when it started to flood but when they showed up they showed up!! We limited both days with four guys on the boat. Like everyone else we waited for a couple hours with nothing schooled up then bam the sight fishing was on. Throw your treble past the school wait three seconds and pull! It was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Coghill gets pretty congested and the fish head up stream pretty quickly. Look at the numbers - coghill gets 146K - main bay gets 2+ Million reds.
    Do the Coghill bound reds hug the Esther side or are they on both sides of Port Wells?

What I'm saying is that NOTHING has worked for me with reds in the ocean.
    Sorry, I misread that. When I was there, the only folks that were catching fish last week were inside the barrier seine and they were snagging...they had skiffs/zodiacs that they were able to take over the corkline...but, the seine was also tied up to the corkline at that time. Not sure about the rules if the seine is down. Usually, you aren't allowed to fish within a certain distance from a fish barrier...but I'm not sure how that applies in front of the hatchery. Anyone know?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Can't throw past the first corkline per F&G.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Do the Coghill bound reds hug the Esther side or are they on both sides of Port Wells?
    Both sides and in the deep right up the middle. Its a odd place being so deep out front then it comes straight up to just about nothing, i've seen boats fishing right next to each other one guy gets 500 fish the guy next to him 10 ??? They bubble up in random places.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast