Thread: Cutco fillet knife

Default Cutco fillet knife

Anyone use one? Looked at them when the local dealer (Josh?) was at the 5th ave mall last year.

Do you like yours or prefer something else? Looking to upgrade from my freebie Rapala that i've hacked away with for years.

Thanks.

We have two and I really like them. I'm no knife expert, but I go through 50-100 fish per year with mine and never carry a sharpener.

I'm with Brian, have had a few over the years (they DON'T float btw...) and they work very well. I thought the telescopic blade was kind of hokey at first but it is quite handy. The bright orange handle is pretty easy to see even in murky water.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Got one earlier this spring and have been using it for reds all summer. Haven't sharpened it once, and it's still as sharp as the day I got it. I've noticed my fillets come out better with the sharper knife too. I highly recommend them. Plus the sheath has a hook sharpener attached to it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Got one earlier this spring and have been using it for reds all summer. Haven't sharpened it once, and it's still as sharp as the day I got it. I've noticed my fillets come out better with the sharper knife too. I highly recommend them. Plus the sheath has a hook sharpener attached to it.
    Yah, the sheath was pretty neat.

Thanks for the recommendations. Going to pick an extra up for a buddy that comes up every summer.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I've noticed my fillets come out better with the sharper knife too.
    So your trying to say that you can make cleaner cuts with a sharp knife? SOB all these years.....

For what it is worth I find any fillet knife great for smaller fish but the larger ones really need a larger heavier knife more suited to the size of the fish.

For what is it worth my rusted away and broke. Still all in all a reasonable knife. Had no issues with it until!!!!!!! Just sayen.

Bluemoose, should have sent it into the factory, they are pretty good on warranty
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

have a black one and an orange one, have to agree the telescoping blade is a great feature, have had no issues with either. have had for 5yrs. have sharpened a few times from now and then.

Whop2000 - No need I had several others and to be honest I like their products to include the BullWhip which I think they don't even make. I had and have plenty of others which I like more so no big deal.

Worth every penny. Bluemoose, blade is replaced at half price if damaged through neglect or abuse, free for ever for breakage or damage through normal use. Ship a bunch of Cutco knives in at a time for one return shipping cost.

Cutco knives get to you razor sharp out of the package, hold an edge great, and are easy to resharpen. The carbon content in the steel does not like salt water, though. If you use in salt water, rinse immediately! just a few hours with salt water on the blade or sitting in the sheath can cause the edge to pit badly.

My current preference is the Dexter Russell 9" Sani-safe knife.
    Me and my wife have 5 of them. They hold an edge really well. I have done close to 20 halibut in a row without sharpening.
    I haven't used the Cutco fillet knife so can't comment on that one.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I wish I could find one with an orange handle but they seem to be discontinued and go for a pretty price on ebay. I have never tried to find a local dealer. Can anyone verify this?

I checked for the local Cutco rep and his website says he's at the Anchorage Weekend market most weekends. I didn't make it this weekend, but hope to next week:

http://www.mycutcorep.com/JoshWood