Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My standing push-paddle design:

Default My standing push-paddle design:

After viewing images of Mi'kmaq, Maliseet and Cree Indians in painted pictures racing canoes while standing, or pushing heavy loads in the first black and white pictures, it sparked a revival of culture of sorts (little biological memory in my brain like instincts of a dog). I was further intrigued when I did a final project on boats indigenous to Alaska for an AK Native history class some time ago, those big Tlingit and Haida paddles were impressive. It was truly solidified....when I saw a 1939 image of a Cree Indian (probably from what is presently Ft Severn First Nation), carving a beautiful standing paddle from a fire-killed spruce.

The realization that pushing a large/heavily loaded canoe through white water would be impossible with some feeble/rei-army bending branches paddle.......some of you might recall my post of working with an old co-worker to create my design. Again.....oars on a canoe are a slap on my Indian face.

So here it is:

7 ft. tall standing canoe paddle built of the highest grade white ash. Nice 10" wide blade, and coming to a blunt point, so that you can push off bottom, and push off rocks, or......for having the standing leverage to push a canoe from one side of the Yukon River.....to the other. Another plus.....you can stand on your seat, and see over the river bank while paddling.

Haven't thought of a name yet, been too busy moving into my massive canoe-building shop. You won't break this paddle. If that wasn't enough, I'm wrapping the blades in 6 oz s-glass and epoxy resin, all with a reinforced, thickened epoxy blade guard. The finished weight will be about 3-4 lbs........you aint breakin this:

Attached Images Attached Images

And the price is?
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    And the price is?
    mike
    I'll have tah "TBD" that for now fellow canoeist. Got muskrat canoe mold to build next week. Can't put too much focus on accessories till canoe molds are greased.

Rat Canoe? I grew up with those. Is it really going to be a flat bottom rat canoe?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

no, just a name I thought of after reading an old legend of the muskrat, and observing it's "amphibious" behavior in skinny water.......much like what I desire in what is to be my smallest canoe model.

I too am interested in the cost...
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

heres a name for your paddle.------ Mongazid----(pronounced Mon-go-sit) Ojibwa word for a Loon's foot.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You've got some mad skills mainer!!!! Very nice.

Sure looks like very nice craftsmanship.....interesting.

But, I'm afraid at my age my coordination is not up to standing on the seat and paddling and it would really get interesting if I saw a moose and had to shoot while standing on he seat. A half century ago, I stood in the back of canoes and poled many miles while picking wild rice.

Those are beautiful paddles and in a very nice photograph too! It's good to see such an useful tradition in modern times. Was this style ever common to Alaska do you think?

The push pole style was faintly alive in the early 1970's factory world.

My first ABS boat, an 18' Old Town Guide, was sold by the outfitter with the stern paddle of a length which allowed standup use. This was an aluminum shaft heavyweight just long enough to function either as a long conventional paddle or a short standup push pole. Having no protective blade tip the rocky Hiwassee River soon ate that paddle.

Poling was never strong among modern paddlers where I grew up, however the Cherokee Nation dugouts relied on long push poles which were reportedly used as paddle in deep water. This from the journal of Henry Timberlake.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    no, just a name I thought of after reading an old legend of the muskrat, and observing it's "amphibious" behavior in skinny water.......much like what I desire in what is to be my smallest canoe model.
    OK...no problem. Those little canoes could be carried under one arm.

Like your paddles. I have one crudely made out of birch and it's my favorite.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    You've got some mad skills mainer!!!! Very nice.
    I only brought forth my design to a friend. Flew to maine, to have an old co-worker put that design into motion. He is who I believe, to be one of the best paddle makers in the industry. I'm not a fan of laminating pieces of dissimilar wood together for a serious paddle....the growth rings of mother nature....shall not be parted, therefore, the strength of a solid chunk of grade-A ash was in order. Only way to make that happen, was to fly home. My design comes unfinished, where I'm able to put the finishing touches, like a rugged epoxy tip, and a 6 oz s-glass wrap for abrasion resistance.

This is the old Native Mainer who made it happen, this was our first working proto-type back in December:

Default get out the ink pen, and order pad

I'll be your first customer, since others are just kickin' tires so far.

Can I have a single digit serial number and have it autographed by the designer?

The plan is that I'll get rich when you get famous.

the paddle in the photo [ man makeing paddle ] it looks to be about 8 ft long will the ones you be selling be that long or shorter ????

if so how long will it be ?????? SID

FM,

will make sure to let you know when they're completed

Sid,
    Good rule of thumb with these stand up paddles: about 10-12 inches taller than your height. So for most, a 7 footer would do just fine. I'll certainly have some 6.5 footers made up too.

Most reputable stand-up paddles are light stuff for stand up paddle boarders. Pricey, simply due to the tremendous amount resin, glass, wood, and labor.

No body's kicking tires here, I'm ready to plop down the green, however this is my second run at these and I'm getting the same line each time! Conversely, I'd say the maker is testing the water and I'd doubt you'll get a paddle any time soon.

Mike

Beautiful paddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I'd say the maker is testing the water and I'd doubt you'll get a paddle any time soon.

Mike
    testing the water is the best part. It leads to all sorts of creations.

Mainer: I would like one of the paddles. I take you at your word and feel whatever you decide the price to be will be fair. I am 5'10" so whatever height you think is correct for me would be appreciated. BTW the photo with the paddles on the antlers is very nice! Looking forward to seeing the Muskrat. BEE

So all you are doing is raising a family going to school and making a living,why the heck can't you knock out a hundred a day for folks in a hurry and maybe a few canoes in the evening?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast