Thread: Upper Gulkana Report

Default Upper Gulkana Report

Well, we have had floaters and fishermen on the upper Gulkana less than 2 weeks, thank you ice! And the fishing reports are coming in so I thought I would share with you.

Lakers... Fantastic! My groups have been hitting the lakers hard at Paxon and are catching lots and big fish.

Rainbows...Crazy! The rainbows are thick in the canyon and plentiful below the canyon and above the West Fork. The canyon is very hard fishing due to the amount of water that is flowing through but the guys who are working the holes hard are seeing good results! Rainbows in the 4+ pound range and lots of happy faces.

Grayling... Thick. The major complaint has been keeping the Grayling off of the streamer when you are targeting the Rainbows!

Reds??? 2 groups have come out with a report of bright Reds above the West Fork at or beyond spawned out phase. I am a bit puzzled with this as I don't expect to see Reds up there until Late June or more likely July. Anyone else finding Spanned out Reds up there?

I should have some new pics from these groups soon and I will add them to my photo pages and stick a few on the Forum.

Tip of the week. Get out there and catch some fish!

Enjoy!

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the report!! and pictures. Is the river still running pretty fast with the dry summer we have had? I drove past paxon lake the other day (30 June 2013), and it seemed pretty cold up that way still, probably a lot of melting left in the nooks and crannies of the hills?

Looking at floating soon, and hoping for good conditions

Water is moderately low and dropping. Gauge was 3.1 Thursday, down to 2.7.

Floating to the Mid was fast with all the new channels.

Canyon was doable.

The 8mile leaving the anyone is more like 14. Low, fast, lots of sweepers and strainers.

Guys were hooking up with kings below the fish counter but above the confluence.

Spotted reds already nearing Paxson.

Bows and grayling were thick.

GPS dialed out 57 miles total trip and a max of 9.8mph below the Canyon.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I know I have seen this information on here before, but Can't get the search tool to pull anything up. What are the particulars on the sourdough Lodge shuttle service to Paxon lake and back?

$60 to bring your car down. Just stop in between 8-8pm, sign in and leave a key.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed