Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey you gimpy old farts

Default Hey you gimpy old farts

Since I am slowly becoming one myself I wanted to know if any of you wear any kind of a knee wrap or similar int the mountains. I am looking for a little extra support and not sure what's out there..

Never happy with any of them. Tried trekking poles and they helped immensely, but too short for my tastes for downhill travel, much less for use as a gun rest. Ended up making my own walking stick from stout bamboo, about nose high. Heaven.

Geneva Woods (Intl Airport Rd in Anc) had a large selection of orthopedic braces and aids a few years ago. There is also a branch off Seward Meridian - not sure if their stock will have as much (?). Lake Otis Pharmacy also has a large selection. My main problem with knee braces has been slippage - hard to keep in place, due to leg taper. They were a help, as long as they stayed in place.

Dave, Pm sent
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

When my knee starts hurting I watch chuck Norris and Steven segal movies...

Elastic knee wraps work really well, but I still prefer a bamboo walking stick. A miracle, in my book . . .

Got my knee replaced, working great. Now if the rest was feeling just as good! Jim

I use a diamond willow walking stick that has a fork at just the right height to rest my rifle when standing. I hollowed out the thick end to reduce weight and made a plug and keep some fire starter and first aid stuff in it.

I have been "Self-Medicating" for the last 50+ years. Oral ingestion of Tequila in modest amounts, administered several times a days, starting with breakfast seems to solve all my issues in life.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Got my knee replaced, working great. Now if the rest was feeling just as good! Jim
    Replacing those worn out parts is the best way to go. I have a brand new disc in my lower back, no more pain, no limitations. Life is good!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have been "Self-Medicating" for the last 50+ years. Oral ingestion of Tequila in modest amounts, administered several times a days, starting with breakfast seems to solve all my issues in life.
    Self medicating seems to work for most people. Then again Bear could just man up and ignore the pain.

Bear,

You are going to be a dad again, you can't be that old. Old is a state of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Self medicating seems to work for most people. Then again Bear could just man up and ignore the pain.
    I think I have to take bronco's advice. My mom always did tell me to listen to my elders...

Then answer your PM....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I think I have to take bronco's advice. My mom always did tell me to listen to my elders...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Lift weights. Seriously. (unless your Dr says no)

Dead lifts, squats, leg curls and extensions.

I thought my knees were failing. My brother the fitness nazi hounded me until I started working my legs. I did and soon after, my knee pain disappeared.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Get a package hot dogs all beef... Slice them all in half. Now get frying pan little crisco fry them up.. Get some bread white bread works fine put 4 on one slice put slice of cheese on it... The other slice put mustard, mayo, on it... Put it altogether bam fried hotdog sandwich...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Since I am slowly becoming one myself I wanted to know if any of you wear any kind of a knee wrap or similar int the mountains. I am looking for a little extra support and not sure what's out there..
    I wore one of those neoprene type braces for awhile.....even when I was guiding. It did "kinda" seem to give ma a feeling of having a bit more support, but I used to sweat underneath it pretty bad (especially when sheep hunting) which drove me crazy. Thankfully my right knee fixed itself one morning, but the other I ended up having a torn meniscus, so had the surgery done. Doing pretty good now. Did you go in and find out what's actually wrong with yours?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Then answer your PM....
    I will I will...lol. I need to get to my computer.. Trying to type on the phone just blows...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Get a package hot dogs all beef... Slice them all in half. Now get frying pan little crisco fry them up.. Get some bread white bread works fine put 4 on one slice put slice of cheese on it... The other slice put mustard, mayo, on it... Put it altogether bam fried hotdog sandwich...
    What kind of mustard?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Lift weights. Seriously. (unless your Dr says no)

Dead lifts, squats, leg curls and extensions.

I thought my knees were failing. My brother the fitness nazi hounded me until I started working my legs. I did and soon after, my knee pain disappeared.
    That is the one thing that has been helping out. I am also working on the treadmill with an 85 pound pack at max incline to get my calves back. I do use a walking axe but the longer walking stick sounds much better especially downhill which is what kills me the most..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast