Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: New SOTAR Canoe? What is this Boat?

  1. #1
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default New SOTAR Canoe? What is this Boat?

    I was talking with Goo Voght today, of Alaska Wildwater, and he told me he just took delivery of a brand new boat from SOTAR. It's gonna fit right in with the narrow boat float hunting crowd. Many of you already know SOTAR's legendary quality, and this boat is no different. Goo was personally involved in designing it and I think it's going to find a solid niche for hunters looking for a quality small canoe for moose or caribou hunting. Here are the specs:

    11' long
    13" tubes
    13" inside width
    33" outside width
    27 lbs!
    2 chambers, fore and aft
    Grommet strips just below the top of the tubes, for lacing gear, seats, etc in place.
    Non bailer (will carry more weight than a bailer)
    Fabric: 30oz. X 2,000 Denier polyester

    Note the fabric. The base cloth in many of the packrafts is around 200-400 denier, this boat is 2,000. Much stronger and a lot less susceptible to catastrophic tube failures. This is a boat to watch, folks. It's a prototype, so there is an opportunity to improve on the design if you let Goo know what you want. I don't know the price, but Goo is committed to keeping it within reach. On the other hand, it is a SOTAR and those guys don't make junk. Expect to pay a bit more for quality.

    I like that it is a non bailer. For those looking for a small hunting boat, the non bailing design will hold much more of that heavy game meat.

    Check it out!

    -Mike



    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  2. #2
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Price pending, my Moose Boat would love a baby brother. I will say I've been a big fan of the grommet strips for lacing up the cargo platform on as as needed basis for the applicable hunting environment and load.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  3. #3

    Default

    Just by looking at the photos it looks awesome!!! Is there tested weight limit on it yet? I see that it has handles in the front and back of the boat, but what about the sides? Not sure how much a few handles weigh but if you add say 4 more on the sides it may bump the weight of the boat from 27 to 28-29?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    How does it differ from the SOAR products? I love to see new boats hit the market but will it stack up to the Pro-Pioneer? Right now we are adding SOAR hunting canoes to our rental fleet due to the demand of out hunters and I will consider another product but the real test will be capacity, price and durability. I am not a SOTAR guy but are these Urethane boats?

    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestalaska.net

  5. #5
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Gulkana,

    Just my opinion based on weight and specs, I wouldn't consider this a fleet boat. It's a niche boat by design for ultralight outings in skinny water.

    If you we're after a fleet boat, I'd opt for the Sotar moose boat. I've ran mine pretty heavy and would have no hesitation running a 2manx2moose + light gear on a 10-14 float.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  6. #6
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    How does it differ from the SOAR products? I love to see new boats hit the market but will it stack up to the Pro-Pioneer? Right now we are adding SOAR hunting canoes to our rental fleet due to the demand of out hunters and I will consider another product but the real test will be capacity, price and durability. I am not a SOTAR guy but are these Urethane boats?

    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Walt, it is my understanding that the Pro Pioneer is no longer available. That is, unless Larry Laba (the owner of SOAR) is selling them himself. I kinda doubt it, as he is trying to sell the company. And he and Pristine Ventures have parted company..

    Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  7. #7
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Walt, it is my understanding that the Pro Pioneer is no longer available. That is, unless Larry Laba (the owner of SOAR) is selling them himself. I kinda doubt it, as he is trying to sell the company. And he and Pristine Ventures have parted company..

    Mike
    Correct.

    Larry B has essentially walked on and has introduced the Pioneer-X.

    I'd put the new Sotar Prototype and Pioneer-X in the same general class, discounting the floor design however. The drop stitched X floor vs non-SB Sotar.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gakona Ak
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Does the Pioneer-X still use the inflated floor and what about the SOTAR?

    Is The SOTAR Urethane?

    Walt

  9. #9

    Default

    I just got her yesterday and have not had time to see how I am going to set her up. I had her made to be a light weight rig to use with either a kayak or canoe paddle and carry a good load for 1 person or 2 person canoe. Still working on how I am going to make the seat.
    The grommet strips let you adjust your load by just lacing rope through the holes like my MOOSE BOAT.
    Since they are made in Merlin Or. one at a time you can get SB, more handles, d-rings, ect. The fabric is a pvc blend out of Israel double welded with seam tape.
    I finally got SOTAR to buy some 34oz urethane which will roll up much better than our standard 40 oz. have a 14'SB STand a 15" MOOSE BOAT that should weigh in in the 80lb. range with out thwarts, coming in soon.
    Will know the price on this new one today or tomorrow.
    Hope this answers some of your questions. Thanks for the interest.
    Goo Vogt
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Goo does this prototype have the dual ST/SL design or?

    Will there be any future plan on a SB floor?

    Hard to tell in the pics.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Does the Pioneer-X still use the inflated floor and what about the SOTAR?

    Is The SOTAR Urethane?

    Walt
    Walt, I spoke with the guys at Alaska Raft and Kayak yesterday about the Pioneer-X, and though there are not a lot of them on the water yet, early reports are that the bailer holes are low enough on the boat that you're going to flood the floor if you put much of a load in it. The boat uses an inflatable drop-stitched floor which is not attached to the boat. It's held in place by inserting it in a sort of pocket and it is anchored in by inflating the floor and tubes. The removable floor might be a plus for long portages, where the boat could be packed in two pieces, but the floor flooding issue will be a concern for float hunters with heavy meat and gear loads.

    Goo appears to have some flexibility with respect to design modifications on his new boat, so it might be wise to drop him a PM for the details on that. I don't think there would be an issue at all with adding more handles, if there's enough interest in that. I've known him for many years and have never heard a single complaint when it comes to listening to his market, and the guy is amazing when it comes to customer service.

    Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  12. #12

    Default

    It the ST to carry more weight. We can build the boat with any options. Just did not get this first one a self bailer, so she could carry more weight, roll up better, weigh less, and cost less.
    Goo

  13. #13

    Default

    Interesting raft for sure! With the inside width being so small are you supposed to sit on the stern with your feet in the bottom of the boat. 13"? I'm a pretty thin guy but my hiney is even wider than 13", heck my hunting boots side by side pressed together are 10" wide at least. Also the 33" wide seem a bit narrow for loading a lot of meat on the side tubes (cause no way you are stuffing moose quarters between them at only 13" wide. A canoe being narrow is one thing as all the weight is loaded low in teh boat. This thing seems like it'd be a tippy SOB with hunting loads loaded up in it. I like the concept and the boat looks like a good place to start from. However, not for me, at 27 pounds its not a packraft (and I realize it isn't designed to be) I'd rather go to a full size raft at that point if not hauling it on my back. Look forward to seeing how you rig it up for hunting and seeing some pics of the prototype hauling out some meat loads I'm sure they'll sell though. Good luck Goo on the new raft!

  14. #14

    Default

    This is more of a kayak support type craft. The seat will be on top of the tubes and the grommets lets you distribute the weight as need be. Who in the world would sit on the stern of a 11' boat and try to paddle it? Its a matter of weight and balance. We can make any size you would like. As I said being built one at a time here in the good old USA, SOTAR can custom make what you see fit for your needs and the fabric is not paper thin. I had this made for me and only the first prototype, she is not for sale until I try her out and work out the kinks, if any. I am sure she will carry more weight than any pac-rafts around with out the stress of putting holes in her with too much weight in-on the boat. Just thought you guys would like to see the concept. Made a mistake -she is 36" outside not 33".

    Will keep you updated. Thanks for the input. Personally I would buy one of our larger models for hauling out a moose and gear.

    respectfully,

    Goo vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

  15. #15
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Goo is there any field R&D on this? Ie has it been hunted?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  16. #16

    Default

    Not really, just some thoughts coming out of my head and 30 years of guiding white water and hunting float trips. I helped them develop the first "SOTAK" inflatable kayak back in the 80's and is still my favorite water craft to this day, but with the pointed ends they just would not carry much gear. With the ends set like a raft and putting more weight on the tubes and not the floor, it seems like a good craft for backcountry Alaska and remote areas. I will be taking her to Kamchatka, Russia in a few weeks on a 2 week trip. We will also have 2- 16' SOTARS along for clients and gear. Will keep you updated. As I always say--"you won't know - if you don't go"!!
    Goo

  17. #17
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Not really, just some thoughts coming out of my head and 30 years of guiding white water and hunting float trips. I helped them develop the first "SOTAK" inflatable kayak back in the 80's and is still my favorite water craft to this day, but with the pointed ends they just would not carry much gear. With the ends set like a raft and putting more weight on the tubes and not the floor, it seems like a good craft for backcountry Alaska and remote areas. I will be taking her to Kamchatka, Russia in a few weeks on a 2 week trip. We will also have 2- 16' SOTARS along for clients and gear. Will keep you updated. As I always say--"you won't know - if you don't go"!!
    Goo

    They sending ya to bring back Snowden

  18. #18

    Default

    Your not suppose to know that!!! There must be a leak on the forum!!! or NSA??
    Should be a fun trip- volcano hiking and boating with a really good small group. 4 hours away these days. Very interesting place!!

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    This is more of a kayak support type craft. The seat will be on top of the tubes and the grommets lets you distribute the weight as need be. Who in the world would sit on the stern of a 11' boat and try to paddle it? Its a matter of weight and balance. We can make any size you would like. As I said being built one at a time here in the good old USA, SOTAR can custom make what you see fit for your needs and the fabric is not paper thin. I had this made for me and only the first prototype, she is not for sale until I try her out and work out the kinks, if any. I am sure she will carry more weight than any pac-rafts around with out the stress of putting holes in her with too much weight in-on the boat. Just thought you guys would like to see the concept. Made a mistake -she is 36" outside not 33".



    Will keep you updated. Thanks for the input. Personally I would buy one of our larger models for hauling out a moose and gear.

    respectfully,

    Goo vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER
    HAHA I agree, I wouldn't want to steer an 11' boat from way back there anyways, just looking at the tie-down grommets being 11" apart would make for a VERY narrow seat. How would this be a support raft?? Tied to the back of a larger raft and loaded up as a meat raft trailer? Just seems that it'd be a bit narrow to really even handle Class II+ with even half a moose. Just speculation I know, but until someone actually loads it up and hunts out of it and actually puts half a moose on it everyone will be speculating.

    Like I said it looks like it could be a sweet ride, but I don't personally have a need for such a niche boat but I am sure there are those that do. Look forward to seeing your R&D pics and video of it loaded up with game and how it handles some moderate Class II/III whitewater.

  20. #20
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Kinda looks like Goo "Alaskanized" SOTAR's previous BMX & ATV boats.
    Here's a link (with more links) to these other "inflatable kayaks" from SOTAR:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=sotar+bmx

    Evolution is not always linear, but, it is continuous, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •