Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might just stick with my 243 for Alaska

Default Might just stick with my 243 for Alaska

Have you guys seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

To make a short story shorter: it's a 688 yard Elk kill with a 243 Win., and the Elk never takes a second step. It's just collapses on the spot.

Granted, it's not a factory load, and my 1:10 twist might not shoot that 105 grn bullet as well, but still.

I've been a fan, owner, and shooter of the 243 my whole life. In the past year, I started saving for a 30-06 for hunting here in AK. After seeing this, I may just stick with my 243.

Not much chance of a elk charging you at that range if its a bad hit. A PO'ed bear in the pucker brush may react different than the elk did. Keep saving for the 30-06 and some 180 to 220gr ammo.JMOFO
    Of course that 243 could make you famous.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I tooled around for many of my younger years, getting by on hunting near everything that I crossed paths with or I hunted down. Used ia fine rifle, light and perfectly accurate, while hard hitting and flat shooting.... maybe 7 years till my boat flipped and I lost a dear friend, my Rem 700 ADL , .243, with the comb and cheek piece removed, the sights filed small sharp and level with the front sights bead removed and a sharp blade left.
    100 grn. Remington corelocks were the only ammo I used and I bought them by the case. Caught everything , from Brown Bears to Bunnies.

I Tried several rifles to replace that Gun, finally settled on an 1893 reciver'd Mosin 7.62X54r in Finnish SAKO made Civil Guard Sky M-39, an exceedingly accurate rifle like the much used and carried Remington.

Placement is everything.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My daughter has taken a moose and caribou with the .243. Her cousin shot a moose with it as well, and I've knocked down a couple of wolves and a few caribou with it too. I love that caliber, but for larger bull moose and grizzly/brown bears, I'd be reluctant to take it. You can get some good use with that caliber in Alaska.

My wife shoots the 243 she inherited from her mother. It has taken lots of caribou, and her brother used it when he was 11 to kill a cow moose. It's an heirloom.

But I prefer a pointy stick. Pointy sticks have been used to take large game since before recorded history. They're cheap, widely available, no ammo shortages, and the government doesn't care about them. They work well on large, dangerous game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82FXBgkkax8

I've harvested 3 moose and 8 caribou with a .243 growing up, none required more than 2 shots. Great and fun caliber. Took my first bear with the same gun during a spring bear hunt on snow-gos, came across bear out in the open, he had nowhere to run and hide. 5 hits....4 of which were through vitals, before he laid down and bled out. Needless to say, I wont be doing that again, and had it been summer time in the alders I would have been screwed.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Both my daughters have taken moose, caribou and black bears with a Rem 788 .243. Extremly accurate and fun rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    I've harvested 3 moose and 8 caribou with a .243 growing up, none required more than 2 shots. Great and fun caliber. Took my first bear with the same gun during a spring bear hunt on snow-gos, came across bear out in the open, he had nowhere to run and hide. 5 hits....4 of which were through vitals, before he laid down and bled out. Needless to say, I wont be doing that again, and had it been summer time in the alders I would have been screwed.
    good post. The little 308 case sure can muster up so game-killing potential, but at least your experience taught you that: an animal that can run 70 yds or more after being shot through the heart with a 375 h n h mangum, may not succumb to little deer/varmint bullets. Sounds like you had a vision........that your life is more important than being a minimalist.

A lucky cerntral-nervous system shot after lobbing a varmint bullet out at a small cow elk at 700+ yds has very little to do with dealing with ole grizz (not applicable).

With that said, I had a brief infatuation with the 260 remington back in 2005. Great little rifle it was, and though 160 grain woodleighs were dandy medicine, they didn't come anywhere close to the penetration of 308 winchester 180 grain nosler partitions at 2600fps, or even a 250 grain hot-cor fired from a 358 winchester at 2350 fps during some of my penetration tests using acs phone books soaked in a rubbermaid tote full of water.

The 308 was sold, as well as the 260 remington. The 308 with 200 grainers......that's a keeper too imo, but for some reason, all the sub 30 caliber rifles I've ever owned.......found new homes. 358 win always stayed.

243 winchester in the hands of a youth....with mom or dad backing up the kiddo with a larger gun......no qualms whatsoever with that type of use. As a dedicated rifle for alaskan hunting......no thanks.

The 30-06 with 180gr and up was sound advice. I tend to suggest 30cal as a minimum if bears are on the hitlist.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    good post. The little 308 case sure can muster up so game-killing potential, but at least your experience taught you that: an animal that can run 70 yds or more after being shot through the heart with a 375 h n h mangum, may not succumb to little deer/varmint bullets. Sounds like you had a vision........that your life is more important than being a minimalist.
    Pretty sure it wasn't a matter of being a minimalist, but the only rifle he had at the time. That .243 of his has killed more game than most folks rifles. It gets it done as its killed atleast two grizz. IMO the .243 is plenty for everything up to moose. Grizzly is another ball game. But for sheep, caribou, moose, and black bears the 243 is a sweet little round. But I'll stick with using mine mainly for foxes, coyotes, and wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    ...the only rifle he had at the time...
    That's where I'm at. My other guns are shotguns. I wasn't intending to shoot bears with it.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    That's where I'm at. My other guns are shotguns. I wasn't intending to shoot bears with it.
    It just sounded like you were wanting another gun, and I don't think anybody was gonna try and talk you out of an 06'. But if you're happy with your gun then use it. Then again, if you did have the 06' then you COULD intend to shoot bears with it.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used a .243 for many years out here for moose, caribou, and black bear. Have always been into reloading and never had a problem using Noslers. Had the benefit too of being able to load low-velocity lighter bullets for smaller game. As others have noted, no matter the round, it's always about placement. I've always added that a good quality hunting bullet is essential as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    ......and black bear.
    Personally, I was referring to big furry brown ones with big teeth that think we taste like chicken.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It just sounded like you were wanting another gun, and I don't think anybody was gonna try and talk you out of an 06'.
    I do. Actually, I want several other guns, but the girlfriend says I already have too many guns and too much ammo. Besides, I won't have the dough for another gun before this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Have always been into reloading
    Same here, but all of my gear is gone now. (The Craigslist monster ate it.) But I've loaded a lot for that 243.

......I want several other guns, but the girlfriend says I already have too many guns and too much ammo........
    They always say that. I just bought them, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    ...big furry brown ones with big teeth that think we taste like chicken.......lol
    ...More like a cross between spoiled sheep and wet chickens...the big furry brown ones aren't very discriminating when it comes to taste tho.

The .243 is a fine round, but the 6.5x55 is far more versatile and better suited toward being a one size fits all cartridge.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I do. Actually, I want several other guns, but the girlfriend says I already have too many guns and too much ammo. Besides, I won't have the dough for another gun before this coming season.
    Tell her you have too many girlfriends....might want to duck immediately after though.

Fortunate that my wife encourages my shooting and hunting habit... figures that having me off chasing critters is better than off chasing something else.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The .243 is a fine round, but the 6.5x55 is far more versatile and better suited toward being a one size fits all cartridge.
    The 243 has dropped many of whitetails and a couple of mulies for my deep freeze and a passal of coyotes and varmints. I do believe that the 6.5x55 or 260 Rem. are better choices for big game though as the 6.5 bullet offers better all around performance. GOOD SHOOTING THO, regardless of caliber.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast