Thread: Katchemak Bay Reds

Default Katchemak Bay Reds

I've been fishing quite a bit in Katchemak Bay for the past three weeks. Earlier in June, there seemed to be a lot of people trolling (presumably for Kings) between Yukon Island and Pogi point. Hardly anyone doing that now.

The past few nights I've noticed that the guys gill netting over there are getting some reds, and while I'm fishing for halibut, there are salmon jumping all around me (reds I'm guessing). But, there seems to be no-one fishing for salmon. I'm kind of curious about that...

No interest? Not worth it? Tough to catch? People waiting for things to get better? Unaware?

What's the story? Just a Minnesota guy who is curious.

If the reds can be had over there jigging or trolling (or other method) I'd like to give it a try - so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tim

Reds are plankton feeders....kinda hard to find a lure that works. You might have better luck with a good snagging hook (legal in the salt).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

There is a guide that trolls for them. I think he uses a dodger and two bare red hooks.
    Reds will sometimes eat fish, larvae, shrimp and stuff like that. But yes plankton is there main food
    I caught a red once on a little green plug while backtrolling for silvers in the Kenai.

Those reds are headed for China Poot I believe. Many locals dipnet them there. Dipnetting is a residents only fishery.
    The people I know that actually fish for them use a snagging hook as it is the most efficient way to get them.
    Be sure and read the regs on snagging. Not all saltwater areas allow snagging.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

They will bite, very small bright red,pink or chartruse lures like dick nite, little arnies, Kokanee killers or needlefish trolled behind a small flasher or cowbells. In fresh water the Land locked reds ( kokanee)love them tipped with shoe peg corn

K-bay's been open for snagging for a few days now, except for the Fishin' Hole on the Spit....try running into Tutka Lagoon at high tide....if the reds are there, it's literally like shooting fish in a barrel
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg