Thread: Minot Flats Accesibilty

Default Minot Flats Accesibilty

How accesible is minto form the Tannana. Do you need an Air boat?
    Thinking of giving this a shot during moose season. I also had a question on the regs. The regs state Minto managament area for one hunt un August. Is this jsut the managment area or is it refering to bth the managment are and the state game refuge?

Lets also add Fourwheeler access off the elliot highway as possible access. Anyone have experience. I know you cannot acces the refuge with four wheeler but the managment are seems to be legal. Also do you know if there is any good pike fishing off the road or accesable by wheeler of the elliot in minto? might consider a pike fishing/scouting trip this weekend.

If you are moose hunting you can not use an air boat or airplane to hunt moose with or transport moose hunters or equipment within the minto flats management area (straight from the reg book). The hunt you are refering to is only in the management area. Unfortunately, there is little to no opportunities in the way of pike fishing that is accessible off of the Elliot via four wheeler. It is pretty much a boat or fly in only thing. If accessing the flats from the Tanana, the closest fishing would be in the swanneck slough area near the lower tolovana river. One could also boat in down the chat to the minto lakes area near goldstream cr. or one could launch a boat in Minto and go from there. Each access option has its own challenges/downsides to deal with. None are particularly easier than the other and any of the 3 ways I mentioned will get you to areas in the flats with decent fishing.

PM sent to you
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I too am very interested in Minto info. Have airboat, interested in Tenanna access. Driving to Minto would be considered if safe place to park MH and stay there at night, but will camp if access from Tenanna. Primarly a duck hunter and thats my interest, know regs about moose and airboats, but also see on regs that Tenanna is boundry for refugs so figure south side of river is open for moose from airboat, just not in the refuge. Any information appreciated, also anybody with a boat interested in making the run into Minto with me welcome. Bud
    Wasilla

I Donot have an airboat. From minto are you able to access the waters without one.

Hey Dakota boy... Check your spelling on "minto" on the title.... Hahahhahaha your from North Dakota :P

FUNNY!!!!!
    I read the topic and even opened it. Never once did I realize the dyslexic grammar!

and yes, I have alot of family near Minot!
    hahaha

Lots of bad feelings towards airboats in Minto. Village and many Fbks./ Nenana hunters supported the ban when it was passed. I wouldn't recommend parking and putting in at the village boat landing. Tanana Flats is focus of most interior air boaters with good success and lots of hunting options (check regs). Pike in the Flats were hammered hard in last 20 years when regs were different and are only just coming back. Great duck hunting though. Good luck.