Thread: McCarthy Camping

Default McCarthy Camping

I'm looking at flying into McCarthy for the weekend of the 4th. I've never been to that area; is there a good place to set up a tent near the airport? Under the wing?

I think you can camp on the runway. There are some public cabins with runway access http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...try-cabins.htm If you have not done the kennecott mine tour it is worth it. I have been told there will be fuel on runway this year but do not have conformation on the fuel. If they do have fuel let us know.
    DENNY

The forest service cabins and strips are great in that area! Please do let us know if they get fuel! There is allot to explore out there but fuel is some distance away!

You can't go into the main mine building anymore but it is still worth the timer to do the tour.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Unless something has changed, there is no fuel at McCarthy that I know of, when I flew out there we brought in our own fuel in barrels. The tour operators have fuel, I don't know if they sell to transitent aircraft. Nearest fuel that I know for sure is Glennallen.

Well, didn't make it to McCarthy due to weather. I did talk to a local charter pilot while refueling in Gulkana. He told me there is someone selling fuel on the strip now; a local construction company who's name I have already forgotten. Didn't get a price though.