Thread: Ideas for a Homer black bear in July?

Default Ideas for a Homer black bear in July?

I'm visiting from Minnesota, and was hoping to harvest a black bear off the coast while I am here, but unfortunately, I didn't get here until late in the first week of June. I did find a couple of bears on the beach in two different coves, but they were on the move and didn't hang around for long. I've also spotted a couple dozen bears while glassing the high slopes, but they were way way up on the snow line. At one point, I went up after them in an area where I found quite a concentration of bears, but, when I got up there, I found that it was incredibly steep - and I was doing more "hanging on for dear life" than bear hunting, so I chose to come back down. It was a good learning experience.

I'm still here for the month of July, and probably the first week of August. Am open to any suggestions as to how I might connect with a bear before I leave. Would prefer to shoot a bear that I can eat (I've heard all about the poor flavor of fish-eating bears), but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Still willing to do whatever work is necessary. Will climb and hike, bait, or do whatever is necessary - just don't want to be hanging on the side of a mountain.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by summerof2013 View Post
    I'm visiting from Minnesota, and was hoping to harvest a black bear off the coast while I am here, but unfortunately, I didn't get here until late in the first week of June. I did find a couple of bears on the beach in two different coves, but they were on the move and didn't hang around for long. I've also spotted a couple dozen bears while glassing the high slopes, but they were way way up on the snow line. At one point, I went up after them in an area where I found quite a concentration of bears, but, when I got up there, I found that it was incredibly steep - and I was doing more "hanging on for dear life" than bear hunting, so I chose to come back down. It was a good learning experience.

I'm still here for the month of July, and probably the first week of August. Am open to any suggestions as to how I might connect with a bear before I leave. Would prefer to shoot a bear that I can eat (I've heard all about the poor flavor of fish-eating bears), but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. Still willing to do whatever work is necessary. Will climb and hike, bait, or do whatever is necessary - just don't want to be hanging on the side of a mountain.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
    First off, did you buy your non resident tag before June ended? If so, I think you need another tag as the spring tag was only valid until end of June. July 1 starts a new year for tags. You had a 2012/2013 tag the new tags are 2013/2014 now. I would call and check on this as I heard of a guy that had to buy two tags in one year. Just an FYI before you go out and knock one down. Bears are ok to hunt for the month of July, just don't shoot a fish bear as they don't make great table fare, and don't expect a nice rug.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Do u have a boat? If so getting a BB that time of year should be doable. Idk much about hunting the homer side but I have had resent success across the bay. The BB should be feeding on the little red berries under the Devil's club and will hit the beaches daily. I have noticed they are not normally of size and the big ones are up above the tree line.
    If u have a boat pm me and i can give you a few good sports to look for some. We watched 7 different BB hit the beaches the last week of July last year in one day. Eventually helping a friend with a solid six footer.

Medic - thanks for offering to help. I'm pretty new on here. I see that I am able to receive PM's, but I just tried to send you one and I don't think it went through.

Yes, I have a boat. I've been hunting across the bay - Seldovia, Jackalof, Tutka and Sadie. Thinking of exploring more to the east? I've been out four evenings from roughly 5pm till midnight. Saw two small bears down on the beach early in june, but nothing since. Now all the bears I see are up high in the steep stuff near the snow. Willing to do anything reasonably close to Homer. Perhaps I just need to be more persistent, or perhaps there are better spots? Would climb for the right bear and the right conditions.

Please PM me, or give me a call whenever it's convenient for you. Thanks again,

Tim
    218-232-6067

I replied to your pm.

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    First off, did you buy your non resident tag before June ended? If so, I think you need another tag as the spring tag was only valid until end of June. July 1 starts a new year for tags. You had a 2012/2013 tag the new tags are 2013/2014 now. I would call and check on this as I heard of a guy that had to buy two tags in one year. Just an FYI before you go out and knock one down. Bears are ok to hunt for the month of July, just don't shoot a fish bear as they don't make great table fare, and don't expect a nice rug.
    Non-res licenses and locking tags are good for the calendar year, until 31 December. However, the blue harvest tickets run out the end of June, so you would just have to get the blue tickets, which don't cost. I've had to do this 3 yrs in a row now. Also, you should do a hunt report next week, for those blue tickets. You can do that on-line.