Thread: Kasilof River

Default Kasilof River

Hit the Kasilof north shore yesterday and did quite well. High tide was at 0630- I got there at 5 and found a few folks in the water, one guy said they did real well at around 0300. Joined the two or three other guys there at 5, saw a couple of fish caught on the north side, and a couple on the south side. Definitely more people camped and fishing on the south side. Things were slow until the tide changed, then picked up considerably. Peak catching seemed to be between 0800 and 1000- I had 20 fish in the cooler before 10 and decided to call it a day. The tide was way out by then, and navigating through and over the mud was just nuts. Still not a lot of people there by the time I left- fewer than 20, everyone very courteous and it seemed like most people had a good time and caught quite a few fish.

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    ...navigating through and over the mud was just nuts....
    When the tide is in, the mud compacts and is easier to walk on. When the tide is out, it is an awful trap...

I used to walk way out at low tide, even to the second can, but decided I didn't want to die that way. Crossing the channels that cut across the mud, you don't know how deep they are...floated a couple or two.

It's hard to wait for the tide to come in when it's slow at slack.

Going to head out and try dipnetting for the first time tomorrow. Going to try and get there and catch the Friday night tide. Any tips and tricks that anyone whats to share with a group of first time dip netters would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin0718 View Post
    Going to head out and try dipnetting for the first time tomorrow. Going to try and get there and catch the Friday night tide. Any tips and tricks that anyone whats to share with a group of first time dip netters would be great.
    Main thing to do is make sure you have the right type of net and just watch other people that are doing well. Don't bother with a Copper River type net with the thick material, they work well on the Copper, but the fish can see and avoid them here. Use the basically colorless mesh that is used for gillnetting and make sure it is the right size as posted in the F&G regulations. Step carefully, and if you are on mud move your feet maybe once or twice a minute so they don't sink in and you can maneuver easily. Most of the people I have encountered are very friendly, but there is always going to be the jerk whose parents didn't do a very good raising them, but they are the exception. PLEASE leave the place at least as clean or cleaner than you found it.

We hit it yesterday on the rising tide for about three hours and got 22 fish. I wasn't expecting much, so that was a nice surprise!

Well im heading up to catch high tide tonight I will report back hopefully with some good news

How did it go?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

went down sunday 5/30 10 am - 5 pm, caught 11 , caught 5 walking with the current in the last hour i was there.

Well I was there friday night and saterday morning. Friday night around 10 pm the numbers were huge. Saterday morning was a bit slower but was doing well before the tide came in. Total of 30 fish between two people. I had a great time was a lot of fun and met some really nice people will be doing it again very soon.

Anyone have a report ?
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    When the tide is in, the mud compacts and is easier to walk on. When the tide is out, it is an awful trap...

I used to walk way out at low tide, even to the second can, but decided I didn't want to die that way. Crossing the channels that cut across the mud, you don't know how deep they are...floated a couple or two.

It's hard to wait for the tide to come in when it's slow at slack.
    Hey Gr8fl, just wondering if you plan to update your escapement charts for the Kenai and Kasilof again this year? That was really helpful last year. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Prob'ly should.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    Anyone have a report ?
    Very slow this afternoon; hung out for a couple hours, didn't get any....saw half a dozen or so netted on both sides of the river. Lots of skiff traffic going out and back.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey Gr8fl, just wondering if you plan to update your escapement charts for the Kenai and Kasilof again this year? That was really helpful last year. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.
    Okay, web site is up. Find it for free for the time being at http://aksalmondipnetting.com/kenai/2013KenaiEsc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Okay, web site is up. Find it for free for the time being at http://aksalmondipnetting.com/kenai/2013KenaiEsc.htm
    Thanks gr8fl. I appreciate it. Rep point sent your way.

What's the word?? I am planning to head down on Saturday, hope to capture some!