Thread: Herring in Whittier

Default Herring in Whittier

Is anyone headed out to catch herring 4th of July weekend out of Whittier. From my research I understand 4th of July weekend is generally pretty good outside the harbor.

Got ours farther out last week but there were birds feeding [good indication herring are present] around the ferry terminal when we came back in.

Sounds good thanks for the info.

How far out did you run for the herring? If we get low, might have to whip out the sabikis. I always say I will, but never do..........found a bag of 3 year old hoolies for chumin tho this morning!

We were in Montague Straight with the whales. The sonar was lit up!
    About a third of the time there were so many fish the sonar couldn't find bottom.
    First we'd see a few dimples on the surface and an occasional jumper.
    They all seemed to be coming at us from the NE and the wife said to try the sabiki.
    It took me no time to bring 4 fish out of 5 flies to the boat.
    We quickly took two smaller shrimp pellet buckets which equated to 15 pounds.
    They were big too ~ some almost the entire width of the gallon freezer bag.
    All brined up and ready to fish tomorrow.
    Black Label.jpg

How deep were they?

Sweet - might see you out there tomorrow. I will probably camp in Cochrane tonight...then to Port Chalmers tomorrow.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Can anyone confirm whether the herring are near the breakwater/ferry terminal yet?

I got some there, but there were a ton of cod getting in the way.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Still getting some out on the Straight this past weekend but there were fewer.
    We only managed half a bucket but they were still pretty large around 8 inches.
    Bullelkklr ~ if you re-visit this thread I tried hailing you a couple times out near Chalmers Saturday.

I tried you on Saturday too about - 4 or 5pm. I was on the flats north of the cabin sitting on the hook. We also went in between channel and green and got skunked. Picked up a couple fish on the way out though nothing of size at all.

Default Just Missed You

We were right in that same area from lunchtime until about 3 and picked up 5 of 6 hali's. They were the smallest we'd caught out that way. I was probably over at Knight jigging on the bow during the timeframe when you called. Good luck next week ~ we are laying low for the busy weekend and will be back shorty after for a couple 3-day trips the next two weeks after.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I tried you on Saturday too about - 4 or 5pm. I was on the flats north of the cabin sitting on the hook. We also went in between channel and green and got skunked. Picked up a couple fish on the way out though nothing of size at all.

I suck at halibut fishing! I will give it a go though if the water lays down tomorrow. This deep water walleye fishing is challenging for me! I was on applegate when you hailed me. I sometimes shut my radio off to save battery when we are on the hook or drifting. If the boat had not been full of fuel, firewood, coolers etc. I would have changed batts over and kept the radio on. I will get the cabin in decent shape for you. somebody f'd up the firepit and the wood stove is broke but I bought a new damper and will get it back together.

I just put the half-bucket of herring we caught on pro-cure brine. I am happy with the results from last week's first use of self caught/brined. They were firm and stayed on the hook better than any I've bought retail.
    Not sure if you'll get this before you launch but you'll have to keep an eye out for Silvers. Overheard a couple charters from Whittier say they say a couple Silvers chasing their halibut baits Sunday. They said they even tried mooching a hoochie but had no takers. Last year we saw a Silver chasing our halibut baits out your way around this time.
    That really stinks about people not keeping up with the cabins. You sir are a true gentleman for taking care of business yourself. I realize you have a vested interest but still... We typically use propane since we always have these small [stable] tanks for the boat. http://www.truevalue.com/outdoor-liv...ontent=Default
    We also like to have a couple wood fires too. And it's always good to have alternate [back-up] source especially when the dog's along {I meant wife}. Gotta take care of them to keep everyone warm and happy.

I haven't seen any Forest Service workers at all this summer. Hope it's not the lack of funds and sequester since they have yet to repair the door from heavy snows 2 winters ago at Goose Bay. Really looking forward to getting that cabin back up again.

Good luck and be safe out there.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I suck at halibut fishing! I will give it a go though if the water lays down tomorrow. This deep water walleye fishing is challenging for me! I was on applegate when you hailed me. I sometimes shut my radio off to save battery when we are on the hook or drifting. If the boat had not been full of fuel, firewood, coolers etc. I would have changed batts over and kept the radio on. I will get the cabin in decent shape for you. somebody f'd up the firepit and the wood stove is broke but I bought a new damper and will get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Is anyone headed out to catch herring 4th of July weekend out of Whittier. From my research I understand 4th of July weekend is generally pretty good outside the harbor.
    Was there today (the 4th), and the herring were pretty thick along the breakwater by the ferry dock. Lots of people fishing, unfortunately, made it kind of unwelcoming. I'd go mid-week if you want it more or less to yourself. If you're on shore, look for the birds and try to cast right into them...they tend to sit right on top of the schools. Usually they hit the sabiki rig on the drop. If you get one, just reel steadily and more will follow. It's kind of fun to feel your line get heavier and heavier as more get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Was there today (the 4th), and the herring were pretty thick along the breakwater by the ferry dock. Lots of people fishing, unfortunately, made it kind of unwelcoming. I'd go mid-week if you want it more or less to yourself. If you're on shore, look for the birds and try to cast right into them...they tend to sit right on top of the schools. Usually they hit the sabiki rig on the drop. If you get one, just reel steadily and more will follow. It's kind of fun to feel your line get heavier and heavier as more get hooked.
    Yes I was there too, but the fish wasn't as thick. There was more people then fish I think, and I agree midweek or on a wkday would b best and the mob will b less. Was out there 4 hrs got 3, bunch of gooks showed up and started snagging my line, I left shortly first commenting on their fishing skills and to show some respect for others!! Be sure to bring good heavy gear, there's gonna b some tug a war going on.