Thread: Bait question

Default Bait question

Will silvers hit the same size of cut-plug herring than the kings or do they need to be downsized.?

Hungry silvers will hit just about anything. Tite lipped ones are more difficult to put in the box.

The bait doesn't need to be downsized, but you can fillet a herring and cut that fillet into several oversize postage stamp size pieces to put on a mooching rig. I'd rather catch several silvers on single herring than only one.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Can they pick up the scent of the smaller bait Paul? Im assuming that is the main attraction to using bait. ( or maybe its a visual thing )Sounds way more economical to use strips though. Do you , or can you, put herring strips on with a hoochie skirt ?

I just take a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with a hochie over it and a piece of herring about 2 inches long cut at a double 45 degree angle. It works great for me, well for the hungry ones. I dont think its is a scent thing when mooching, they are just feeding on everything around them.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

It's always best to match what they are feeding on. I've noticed very few whole herring in the silvers I catch, mostly in Aialik Bay. Usually I find they have been feeding on small anchovies, about 2-2 1/2 inches long. I fillet the herring and then cut diagonal strips about 2-2 1/2 inches long and put one piece on each hook of a salmon mooching rig. Seems to work for me and the herring lasts a long time.