Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Permit per Household

Default One Permit per Household

Picked up my PU permit today at Fbks F&G. How many in your household, sir? 2. Name of other member.............
    Doesn't she get a permit also? No! Then what if we want to fish in different places? Guess you can't!

What gives with that? This will be our first trip down there..............well mine, not her first trip. Had planned on possibly fishing different spots if necessary.
    I don't have any problem with the 30 fish limit. Plenty for my household. But the household members can't split up? What good does it do to give a multi member household only one permit?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Picked up my PU permit today at Fbks F&G. How many in your household, sir? 2. Name of other member.............
    Doesn't she get a permit also? No! Then what if we want to fish in different places? Guess you can't!

What gives with that? This will be our first trip down there..............well mine, not her first trip. Had planned on possibly fishing different spots if necessary.
    I don't have any problem with the 30 fish limit. Plenty for my household. But the household members can't split up? What good does it do to give a multi member household only one permit?
    I could be wrong, but I think that is how it has been done in the past. One PU permit per household since the totals allowed are based on the number of household members. Did he say you can't fish in separate places? Seems like as long as she had something that showed she was listed on your permit (such as a photo copy of your permit with her name on it), she would be okay. Just speculating though.

anchskier, you OK? Your answers are usually right on the money, but you're way off base on this one. No way can you dipnet with a photocopy of a permit; that makes no sense from a few points of view. Just start with how you'll record your catch and know you haven't filled your limit yet and that'll be enough to convince.

To MT, I think most all dipnetters consider it a family thing, so most have no problem with what you're tussling with.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

To MT, I think most all dipnetters consider it a family thing, so most have no problem with what you're tussling with.
    FM, are you OK? Your answers are usually more helpful.
    It IS exactly a family thing and that is why I am tussling with it. The whole family should be able to fish until the permit is filled. Not just one person. If the fishing is good, one person can fill the permit..........no problem there. What if you fork over the bucks to get down there from Anch or Fbks and the fishing is poor. If the FAMILY can spread out and try a couple/few different spots............they are more likely to fill the permit.
    I asked the girls at the desk about copying the permit............they said no go.
    There is nothing in the regs that say only one person can fish. HOWEVER.......the fisherman must have the permit in his possesion. If 2 or 3 FAMILY members are all within a few yards of each other...........probably no problem. If they are out of eyesight or in 2 different spots along the cliff..........well,well,well.............at least one is without the permit!
    All this does is encourage folks to lie about how many are in their household. If they are going to ask how many in the household, then each person in the household who wishes to fish should get a permit and the FAMILY is responsible to catch no more than the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    FM, are you OK? Your answers are usually more helpful.
    Sorry MT, I don't know how one family dipnets multiple locations at the same time (legally); I was just trying to relate that most all dippers do not have a need for that.

But if you do, please sir, propose a change to the BOF that would allow a family multiple permits, like two permits for 15 or three permits for 10.

If you can make a case for no harm to the resource and no additional cost to F&G, you'll likely succeed. While I have no need myself for what you need, I support you in making a change; no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    anchskier, you OK? Your answers are usually right on the money, but you're way off base on this one. No way can you dipnet with a photocopy of a permit; that makes no sense from a few points of view. Just start with how you'll record your catch and know you haven't filled your limit yet and that'll be enough to convince.

That would be why I ended my statement with "just speculating though". I don't know the details which is why I stated as much.

IF IT WERE LEGAL, (note I am not saying it is, just talking things out here...) as far as recording your catch, that would be easy. They would just have to wait until the other person with the actual permit showed up to move or put the fish out of sight. It doesn't say you have to record it the moment it is caught, just before it is concealed from plain view. For example, if one person was out on a boat or a distance upstream and the other person without the original caught a few fish, they would just have to wait for the other person to get back and record those fish before putting them in the cooler.

Get a permit for above the bridge and you don't even need a fishing license. Not likely with a multiple member household that you'll have to worry about catching too many. My neighbor got one for a 2 member household at F&G and was asked how many fish he wanted. He said, "200".

No problemo.

Of course, it's more difficult to catch them above the bridge without a boat or a wheel. but people do it.

So what happens when the person fishing a "different" spot hits a good run of fish real quick and catches the entire limit in short order only to return and find you have done the same? Now you have 2 limits and 1 permit.
    I could see lots of scenarios where you end up over your limit because you are in 2 different locations.
    The only way it would work is if you both agree not to exceed half your limit. Of course that defeats the purpose as if one is catching and the other is not then you still end up with only 1/2 your limit.
    So I think you need to fish together and if your not catching then you both move and both fish the other locations together.
    I'm guessing the one permit per household was written to prevent overharvest as per my examples above.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If the State Trooper checks your wife who is 1/2 mile away and she replies "Oh, my husband has the permit with my name on it." He's upstream 1/2 mile by the rock that's near the tree." The troopers will be running around up and down the river trying to peice this puzzle together. Now extrapolate this out to cover hundreds of permits a day and that's one wild goose chase for the troopers.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    So what happens when the person fishing a "different" spot hits a good run of fish real quick and catches the entire limit in short order only to return and find you have done the same? Now you have 2 limits and 1 permit.
    I could see lots of scenarios where you end up over your limit because you are in 2 different locations.
    The only way it would work is if you both agree not to exceed half your limit. Of course that defeats the purpose as if one is catching and the other is not then you still end up with only 1/2 your limit.
    So I think you need to fish together and if your not catching then you both move and both fish the other locations together.
    I'm guessing the one permit per household was written to prevent overharvest as per my examples above.
    BINGO

My wife and I are moose hunting....one moose per household....we split up because the area i'm calling isn't 'producing' at the time...later, we both shoot 60 inch bulls at the same time....uh-oh....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post

Walkie talkies?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    BINGO

My wife and I are moose hunting....one moose per household....we split up because the area i'm calling isn't 'producing' at the time...later, we both shoot 60 inch bulls at the same time....uh-oh....
    Where does moose say 1 per household?

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Where does moose say 1 per household?
    I was referring to the subsistence hunt for moose in the park annex up in the Cantwell area, only one per household. But not to detract from the point.....if ya don't stick together, how will ya know?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Walkie talkies, radios 2 cans tied on a string. In all seriousness walkie talkies would be the way to go have decent range check in every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Walkie talkies, radios 2 cans tied on a string. In all seriousness walkie talkies would be the way to go have decent range check in every once in a while.
    I see where you are going with this. I also know there are good and bad forms of communication. Some brands work well others not so much.
    Some of them last quite long on a set of batteries others eat them up especially the el cheapo kind of batteries you find on sale all the time in places like Trustworthy hardware.
    How do we verify every group is using a working set of walkie talkies? The good ones are good but they also sell cheaper versions for kids to use from their tree forts. I could envision problems with people using the el cheapos thinking they are good enough.
    If this were allowed would we have to have a walkie talkie by regulation?
    I have never fished the copper but on the Kenai/Kasilof I have never seen the need to fish different spots.
    Is there a big difference in the fish catching in one spot versus another up there?
    It seems around here when the fish hit the river they often come in waves with the tide. if you are in another spot the fish will show up according to how fast/slow they move upstream. but regardless they will get to where you are at if they are coming in that day.
    I guess I just don't see it being a big deal having to fish relatively close together.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The problem with the copper is you can't just fish anywhere. You have to fish the available spots if any are available. The copper is a faster, wilder river. Bounded by cliffs in many places. Fishing spots can be hundreds of yards apart.

Hey.... are all you guys okay...?? Nobody has given MT any crap for fishing separately from his wife!?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Having a per person permit would work fine if say you're only after one person's limit. If 2 member had 15 each, if you're after 30 and one spot is dead and one is hot you'd still have to move to get your 30. And wouldn't a per person card force each person to only be the netter for their limit. Course what fun is fishing if there's no witness/ fish handler.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Hey.... are all you guys okay...?? Nobody has given MT any crap for fishing separately from his wife!?
    Valid point, ice. Cept I don't have a wife........haha. I have a domestic partner. She has all the connections in the chitina area. I just want the best opportunity to fill the permit. Preferable in one trip!!. Tho we will probably go again. Leaving sunday for a 5 day trip there.

I dont personally like the system of one permit either. This year was my first trip and i found that you didnt need to have 2 nets in the water anyway. I couldn't keep up with the fish my wife was catching. It took me longer to gill them and put them on a stringer than it took her to dip another one. We did have both nets in the water till we found a highly productive hole. But at the end of the day this permit dosn't allow a lloving challenge to see who can catch more in their own hole even 300 yards away.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast