Thread: Pow king update

Default Pow king update

How's the fishing going now around the island in the salt for the kings?. Ive heard via another post that there is large numbers in or around Baker or Noyes Islands. Is this still the case. How is the charter operations fairing out?

Mickey, just come fish man! Geez, they come and go but it is strong still at least on my side and from what I hear it is crazy good in Craig. Tonight, the guests caught limits here in the cove in an hour after dinner - read a 2 minute run. This is our first hatchery return so folks are pumped. A 32# fish was the biggest. Go chartered in Craig and have a ball.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Thanks Gooch . Did I get that right that you are getting kings around Coffman cove? A hatchery return? which rivers were they heading too..I was not aware that there was good fishing on " the other side of the island " wow I had no idea at all !!!!!!!! What about the silvers around Coffman ? do you get a strong run? Thanks from ireland

We are releasing anywhere from 15-40 kings to catch 12-24 cohos a day. Halibut fishing is extremely strong too. 25-30lb average.

WOW,WOW. Really . Are you still using cut plug herring for both species?. The reason I ask is that im curious as to the size of bait to use for coho. Will they hit the same cut-plug size used for the kings or do you downsize a little for the silvers? I reading also that a lot of people use strips of herring on maybe a hoochie or similar for the coho. Is this reliable.....Thanks from Ireland

Micky - if the silvers are in like that, you don't need bait. Just run a hoochie behind a diver - save time and money not messing with bait.

Yes we have hatchery kings coming back to the cove. That said, our program on the east side is different than the west side. THe west side is typically better fishing overall but it is a charter deal or big boat deal typically. Those fellas over there are fishing some serious water and are truly men among boys in the fishing world. Big seas and great fishing. Our side is good fishing as well, calmer seas, etc but not the the typical king migration. 270 is releasing stupid amounts of kings to get silvers - that my friend is AWESOME fishing. Over here we have hatchery early coho so we release coho to get kings. Two different worlds. We use flashers and hoochies here. Book a trip to Craig, experience it. Kingfisher, Shelter Cove, Fireweed, POW Sportfishing come to mind there are others but I don't know much about them.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Yes we have hatchery kings coming back to the cove. That said, our program on the east side is different than the west side. THe west side is typically better fishing overall but it is a charter deal or big boat deal typically. Those fellas over there are fishing some serious water and are truly men among boys in the fishing world. Big seas and great fishing. Our side is good fishing as well, calmer seas, etc but not the the typical king migration. 270 is releasing stupid amounts of kings to get silvers - that my friend is AWESOME fishing. Over here we have hatchery early coho so we release coho to get kings. Two different worlds. We use flashers and hoochies here. Book a trip to Craig, experience it. Kingfisher, Shelter Cove, Fireweed, POW Sportfishing come to mind there are others but I don't know much about them.

Gooch
    Gooch,

We will be down there tomorrow and I hope to look you up. Tom and I are staying over in Thorne Bay. He has his son with him and my nephew is coming along. I spoke with Dean over in Ketchikan this evening and he says to tell you hi.

We plan to be there through the 5th.

Hope to see you soon!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay