Thread: Scope dilemma

Default Scope dilemma

I have a Forbes 280 on the way and I'm thinking about what kind of scope to get for it. I have it narrowed down to 2. The first is a Swarovski z3 3x10x40 with the BRX it weights in at about 12.7 oz. the other is a night force compact 2.5x10x32 I can get a decient deal on the night force. My only problem is it weights in at 19 oz. I'm just not sure if the extra 7 oz is worth it. I have never owned a night force before. Also this will be my mountain gun so weight does matter unless the night force is worth the extra weight. Any advice would be great. I want to keep the rifle under 7 lbs but don't want the best optics I can get and still keep it as light as possable

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have a Forbes 280 on the way and I'm thinking about what kind of scope to get for it. I have it narrowed down to 2. The first is a Swarovski z3 3x10x40 with the BRX it weights in at about 12.7 oz. the other is a night force compact 2.5x10x32 I can get a decient deal on the night force. My only problem is it weights in at 19 oz. I'm just not sure if the extra 7 oz is worth it. I have never owned a night force before. Also this will be my mountain gun so weight does matter unless the night force is worth the extra weight. Any advice would be great. I want to keep the rifle under 7 lbs but don't want the best optics I can get and still keep it as light as possable
    The Nightforce "compact" is only relatively compact when compared to other Nightforce products. For a dedicated shooting rig where weight isn't a concern Nightforce is a good choice otherwise they are at best a third rate choice. I'd be scared of the man that could talk me into using one on a lightweight hunting rifle; he might could talk me into a refreshing swig of toxic Kool-Aid..............
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

For a dedicated lightweight mountain gun a Leupold 6x36 is about 10oz. and plenty of scope for shootng further than makes sense under most conditions.

I've looked at that compact NF.... nice scope but heavy for it's size. If you must have a variable- the Swaro is very nice.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Swarovski's a nice scope and lightweight too - What about a VX3 2.5 x 8 ?

There are so many great variable scopes out now that are under a lb (many under 12 oz)! I personally don't think that -2-4 oz makes a difference but if you are seriously shaving weight the ounces do add up. Nightforce of course makes fantastic and bombproof scopes but they are quite heavy in comparison. I have 2 Swaro z3 3x9's and I really like them. I hope the gun shoots well for you!

Swaro IMHO. You get a much larger objective lens for light gathering, 40mm vs. 32 mm diameter and the square mm are much greater than the 8mm increase in diameter (about 50% more area if I have my math right!). Save 6 oz. Both have excellent optics, I really doubt you could tell the difference in daylight but I've never looked at them side by side.
    -Lighter
    -More objective lens area for light gathering, pretty big deal in a mountain rifle
    -Excellent optics from a top brand

I've been to the Nightforce factory in Idaho, love the made in USA and have never, in over 25 years in manufacturing, been to a factory with more passionate staff regarding quality and reliability. However, for your use I think the swaro is better.

I like hodgman's recommendation for a fixed 6x, especially when you're looking at a lower high end on the power (10x).

I'd also go for that Leupold 6x36......a great scope for the purpose of that rifle.

For the weight and versatility the VX-2 Leupold 3-9X40 is a great scope for that rifle. At 11.2 oz its very light given its other specs as well. I have one on my wife's 5.2 pound (bare rifle weight) .308 and still comes in right at 6 pounds with rings/scope on it. That and you can dang near go on another fly out or up your bino or spotter budget for the $$$ difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    For the weight and versatility the VX-2 Leupold 3-9X40 is a great scope for that rifle. At 11.2 oz its very light given its other specs as well. I have one on my wife's 5.2 pound (bare rifle weight) .308 and still comes in right at 6 pounds with rings/scope on it. That and you can dang near go on another fly out or up your bino or spotter budget for the $$$ difference.
    These are the same reasons I just bought the same scope for my Kimber Montana - maybe not the best optics, but for the price and weight hard to beat!

I have a Leupold Vari-X-II Ultralight 3-9x33mm w/ the EFR reticle on my NULA .308 and I love it. The scope weighs 11 oz.

My rifle weighs around 5.5 lbs with the sling. An awesome rifle that I am very happy with.

I am having a new one built in .35 Whelen and have a new Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm that weighs just over a pound sitting in the safe waiting. That gun should be around 6.5 lbs when I get it set up. I love the clarity of the VX-6 and can't wait to try it out this fall.

when the dust settles and the comparison over the fence post as dusk consumes the last light tells "who can see what" I challenge anyone to tell me that the extra $$ for anything beyond a VX2 is money well spent ..... especially when an upgrade to a German binocular could be had in the exchange

You know you want the Swarovski....just because I have one........

The real dilemma is... if your wife will let you buy one.

I have both of the scopes mentioned on light sheep rifles and have used both on hunts. I would recommend the Leupold 2.5 x 8. I used the 3 x 9 Ultra Lite or whatever they are called nowadays for years and it is a good scope and very light but I feel the increase in optical clarity and bigger objective in the 2.5 x 8 more than makes up for the increased weight. The Swaro would be my second choice. My Forbes '06 wears the Ultra Lite but it was put on before I changed my mind and started using the 2.5 x 8 ...... OBTW my Night Force fogged on an Ibex hunt in Spain!!!!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The Nightforce "compact" is only relatively compact when compared to other Nightforce products. For a dedicated shooting rig where weight isn't a concern Nightforce is a good choice otherwise they are at best a third rate choice. I'd be scared of the man that could talk me into using one on a lightweight hunting rifle; he might could talk me into a refreshing swig of toxic Kool-Aid..............

In my book, Swaro or Kahles are the best scopes money can buy. JMHO.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist