Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim creek

Default Jim creek

When do the reds and silvers start running?

Just to let you know the water is extremely high, and I've never seen it so high.

Usually nearer the end of July... watch the Fish Creek Counter for timing..

hopefully the High water blasts out the channels and restores the connection between Jim Creek and some of the lakes that lost connection in the last flood.

Its extremely high this year, the last portion of Jim creek before the Y is actually running gray. It's usually green... Extremely high water. I'm not sure about any lakes that have "lost channels" considering the place was flooded like crazy last year too.

Early/Mid 80's it was higher. As you exited the trees there was 3' of water. That is when the channel changed from the edge of the dunes to crossing the middle of the flats. In 40+ years of fishing Jim Creek the earliest I have personally seen a red was July 1st. For what it is worth.

Anything showing up yet at Jim Creek? Is the water still really High? "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I know that the water has come way down now but have any fish arrived yet? Anybody been fishing up there yet? Thanx... "fishon"

I have been keeping an eye on Jim Creek. No fish. Still a little early.

Kool and thanx man, been drivin by in my boat but havn't seen anything either, was just wondering if anybody else saw something I missed. Will post as soon as I hear or see signs of life, Hopeully it doesn't into another Tailrace sitiation... "fishon"

I know the day before yesterday Fish creek saw over 1200 fish, then yesterday only 63 and I believe ( I could be wrong) Jim creek usually gets its reds around the same time fish creek does. I would think they should be showing up any day now. I think Fish Creeks big wave could show up any day, hoping Cottonwood creeks is the same as well.

Sweet, thanx for the update. I guna be hittin it on Wednesday afternoon so hopefully there will be something there by then worth catchin. I'm sure the water will be comin up again with all this warm weather we been having... "fishon"

Headed up to Jim Creek via the Knik River yesterday. The water is hella high. With all this NICE WEATHER that glacier up there is melting something fiece and dumping mass amounts of water down that valley. The water is high, dirty and fast. We bombed through the tailrace, passed about 25 fisherman @ 2pm and the water was a couple inches below the bottom of that fish cleaning table. Lots of eagles out there as well. Got upto the Jim Creek area and ran my Phantom all the way up to the clearer Jim Creek water where the vehicles drive through it heading towards the glacier. We then headed back down to the point and anchored up in some slower water and fished with bait, then different color and style flies and then finally a spinner or four. Caught 7 Dollies from 4 to 15 inches. Saw 2 or 3 salmon (I think) rollin. But never caught any salmon. Finally headed back to the trailer at 11pm. No fish to clean, got some way kool videos and pix... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Headed up to Jim Creek via the Knik River yesterday. The water is hella high. With all this NICE WEATHER that glacier up there is melting something fiece and dumping mass amounts of water down that valley. The water is high, dirty and fast. We bombed through the tailrace, passed about 25 fisherman @ 2pm and the water was a couple inches below the bottom of that fish cleaning table. Lots of eagles out there as well. Got upto the Jim Creek area and ran my Phantom all the way up to the clearer Jim Creek water where the vehicles drive through it heading towards the glacier. We then headed back down to the point and anchored up in some slower water and fished with bait, then different color and style flies and then finally a spinner or four. Caught 7 Dollies from 4 to 15 inches. Saw 2 or 3 salmon (I think) rollin. But never caught any salmon. Finally headed back to the trailer at 11pm. No fish to clean, got some way kool videos and pix... "fishon"
    Thanks for the report. Hopefully this year pans out as I love driving over there after work with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    Thanks for the report. Hopefully this year pans out as I love driving over there after work with the family.
    hows the water level? might try flossing this weekend. the reds should be showing up any day now

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    hows the water level? might try flossing this weekend. the reds should be showing up any day now

Im gonna head over there in the AM. If its a mess Ill let ya know.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

There are no fish at Jim! Go to Kenai

Spent the last 2 days at Jim. Water level is very high and fish are sparse. Between our group we brought home 1 red each day. Had a few more on the line but both days were long days of flogging the water. I've seen a handful of reds caught and no silvers yet. On a positive note the water in the shallows isn't bad. My kids have been having a blast playing and swimming in the shallow areas and I've fished in old shoes and shorts both days. First day the fish we saw roll were deep so it was a bit cold on the bits and pieces but today we fished a different spot were we didn't have to get as deep out. Hope we see some silvers push in there soon!

The fish wont be coming up to Jim Creek area in mass until the water cools down, meaning until the temps outside cool down and the glacier stops melting so darn fast inturn sending mass amounts of water, which is hella warm by the time it hits the Jim Creek area, down stream... After years of fishing that spot, this is my conclusion... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    The fish wont be coming up to Jim Creek area in mass until the water cools down, meaning until the temps outside cool down and the glacier stops melting so darn fast inturn sending mass amounts of water, which is hella warm by the time it hits the Jim Creek area, down stream... After years of fishing that spot, this is my conclusion... "fishon"
    Seems to be the theme lately. Warm water everywhere. Its been a very hot summer.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Its been an awesome summer for the fisherman for sure but not so awesome for the fish. Let me be the first one to say, common rain and cool weather, ha ha ha. It silver catchin time... "fishon"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast