Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted STEEL Barrels w/ removable tops.........where find.....??

Default Wanted STEEL Barrels w/ removable tops.........where find.....??

Where do I find steel barrels with removable lids........???? 55 GALLON Size.

Willing to trade As NEW (Unused) bear bait barrel...........for undamaged barrel. I want these barrels for storage NOT bear baiting.

I got a few of these from a urethane insulation sprayer a few years ago. It was the barrels that the got his chemicals in. He is no longer in business though but you might try contacting some of them.

This place should have what you are looking for: http://www.unitechofalaska.com/

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    This place should have what you are looking for: http://www.unitechofalaska.com/

$130.18 per barrel is about $115.18 MORE than I will pay. But thanks for the reply, it gave me a starting point.

I am about to buy some good condition 55 Gallon Barrels that i was going to cut and make bait barrels. i dont think they have a removeable lid but if your not to picky let me know.

Willing to trade As NEW (Unused) bear bait barrel...........for undamaged barrel. I want these barrels for storage NOT bear baiting.

I dont know how much you travel to Anchorage or if you have Access to JBER. But on JBER there is a contracting company ECC (environmental compliance consultants) they are responsible for making sure all of the HAZMAT is disposed in compliance with EPA standards. Any who they have TONS of these that are used but like brand new because of the way they have to clean them to be able to throw them in the landfill they give them away for free if you ask. I dont know what building it is on at JBER but they work on Wainwright as well and that is where I get all of my barrels.

I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Well, I put Mountain House freeze dried meals (in #10 Cans) in the barrels, need removable top.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinezpj90 View Post
    I am about to buy some good condition 55 Gallon Barrels that i was going to cut and make bait barrels. i dont think they have a removeable lid but if your not to picky let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Thank You, that is exactly what I am looking for, and at a price I can live with. Thank You again.

Glad to help, I've enjoyed your posts over the years.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Sourdough Fuel in Fairbanks sells them.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    $130.18 per barrel is about $115.18 MORE than I will pay. But thanks for the reply, it gave me a starting point.
    New overpacks are not cheap, and they will be difficult to find used and cheap. Even steel 55 gallon drums are not easy to find like the old days. Plastic drums are rather cheap because they are becoming more and more common.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    That's a bargain! I might go get a few, myself!

The Wasilla barrel craigslist guy has plenty of them last time I bought them, good to deal with. I live a few miles away from him, that's where I get my barrels from.

I thought about using open top drums for field storage. I had a couple of places I wanted to stash some camps and keep them from the bears. A few years back I found some drums that appeared abandoned as everything around was grown up. I opened up a drum to see what was there and found a lot of mold and water damaged gear. I did not see any holes in the drum or leaks in the seal. I put everything back and carefully closed and sealed the top. I decided it was not worth my time to do that. I do know a couple of different folks that buried drums under the floor of their remote cabins to stash gear. But they go in pretty often and don't seem to have a problem. I don't know if it is because they open the drums or because the drums can't get water or snow on them. I hope your plan works well. ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I thought about using open top drums for field storage. I had a couple of places I wanted to stash some camps and keep them from the bears. A few years back I found some drums that appeared abandoned as everything around was grown up. I opened up a drum to see what was there and found a lot of mold and water damaged gear. I did not see any holes in the drum or leaks in the seal. I put everything back and carefully closed and sealed the top. I decided it was not worth my time to do that. I do know a couple of different folks that buried drums under the floor of their remote cabins to stash gear. But they go in pretty often and don't seem to have a problem. I don't know if it is because they open the drums or because the drums can't get water or snow on them. I hope your plan works well. ARR
    After 40+ years of caching supplies, I know it works fine. So far this spring/summer I have retrieved 8 firearms for inspection, after having been cached for several years.........They are each like new. I know exactly what the problem is with the barrels you found.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    After 40+ years of caching supplies, I know it works fine. So far this spring/summer I have retrieved 8 firearms for inspection, after having been cached for several years.........They are each like new. I know exactly what the problem is with the barrels you found.
    So what is the problem with the barrels he found? Whats your technique to keep condensation from building up inside the barrels?

Ok guys for those of you who might still be looking for barrels. Plaschem Supply moved to Wasilla and we give them away all the time for FREE. The wasilla barrel guy gets them from us. We give them away or else we have to pay to take them to the dump so it is a win win for everyone.

So........are there still barrels available in Anchorage......or just Wasilla now........????

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    Ok guys for those of you who might still be looking for barrels. Plaschem Supply moved to Wasilla and we give them away all the time for FREE. The wasilla barrel guy gets them from us. We give them away or else we have to pay to take them to the dump so it is a win win for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast