Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm Mag.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default 7mm Mag.

AKsoldier says always rounds on the shelf for 7 mag.

It doesn't seem to be a very popular cartridge here in the Greatland, and I'm wondering why.

I ain't no Great Hunter. I ain't a guide. I haven't kilt truck loads of meat animals and dangerous game, but I like it, and I figger for an all-around rifle including use for Grizzly bars, it's the best thing goin.

It usta be considered that, but nowadays some folks don't even consider it.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I love mine. I have shot all of my moose with my 7MM. Some people say it's too small but I think it's great. I actually just had mine re-barreled.

Not only in the great land, seems to be world wide now. I am planning my African safari, I will take my 7mm Rem Mag, but there is little talk about it anywhere. Too good to be true?? Or too much hype and marketing for the new cartridges?
    As I've gotten older and wiser, a 30/06 and a 375... All I'd ever need, I don't own an '06 so it's a 7 Mag, 375 and 223.....

I love my 7 mag. My wife gave it to me when we where first married so i cant get rid of it. While in ak i have taken 3 50+ moose, 3 sheep, 2 caribou, a black bear, and a mountain goat with it. Btw, all these were taken with remington core-lokt ammo. At times i wish for something a little bigger but it has performed well for me.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a very popular cartridge here in the Greatland, and I'm wondering why.
    Mostly it's marketing and hype for other calibers. No one has an excuse to buy new guns and make companies grow if the rifles they already own are good enough. The gun writers write what sells, and the magazines are publishing articles that sell ads to the gun companies. Easy math.

Gun magazines these days are no different than the fashion runways in New York City. Buncha pimping going on, and it only works if they can make you think the guns you already own aren't good enough.

GOSH !! I am beyond words with happiness to find that there still are some good people who won't disparage the venerable 7mm Mag - When I was a mere young pup my second hunting rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag (1971 as I recall) Had that old "fat bolt" rebarrelled with a Douglas after it seemed to lose accuracy, same 7mm Mag - Then, sadly I became unfaithful ... 7mm/.300 Win Mag wildcat for the life of that barrel and another, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag for a looong while and "several" rifles, THEN the WSM's ..... and in a fit of indecision and frustration I, just this past March, drove to Medford to purchase a Tikka Superlight in 7mm Rem Mag - Now, I am not only a happy (and faithful) 7mm Rem Mag owner but I've settled my differences with the Tikka "drop out, can't load from the top" magazines and I'm just ready to go hunt and quit splittin' hairs (or lustin' over "others") WHOA !! this thing can shoot !! I only hope to be able to keep up with her (rifle, I'm talking about)

Its was marketing that made folks put down their 30-06 and 7X57 to go with the 7mag which falls just a bit short of the 30-06 with bigger bullets. To me the 7mag is a great choice for most states and hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    ...marketing....
    Yup hand in hand with fad and fashion. We're as susceptible as teenyboppers. Just human nature, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yup hand in hand with fad and fashion. We're as susceptible as teenyboppers. Just human nature, I think.
    So very true...

As a kid in the Southeast US I had no interest in the 7mag and I've spent little time with one through most of my hunting career.

Now that I'm getting older and have spent a little time with a friend's incredibly accurate custom 7mm- I'm giving the cartridge a second look.
    Can't imagine the cartridge when loaded with a modern controlled expansion bullet is anything other than plain fantastic...it may actually be THE Western hunting cartridge and it pains me considerably that I haven't paid it more mind for no good reason.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I own 2. one is a ruger and one is a browning a-bolt. they have droped 7 moose, 2 caribou, 1 goat, 70+blacktail, 6 black bears, and one brown bear.
    Honestly it has worked well on everything, yet the brownie was not a big bear and seeing the damage that it did I will opt for somthing a bit bigger next time. But it sure is hard to walk out the door without one of them in my hands.

That's encouraging.

I'm glad no-one said it was woefully underpowered.

I have both a 7mm Rem, and a 7mm Weatherby. I've hunted with the Wby the most.

I also have a 280 and 7x57s, but I'm more comfortable with the Mags and heavier bullets in bear country, which seems like most everywhere in AK.

Been using 160 gr Nosler Partitions in both for hunting, but if I was to hunt with the Rem version again, I have some 175 gr Speer Deep Curls loaded.

Does anyone have reservations with those choices?

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Been using 160 gr Nosler Partitions in both for hunting, but if I was to hunt with the Rem version again, I have some 175 gr Speer Deep Curls loaded.

Thanks
    SOTN
    Smitty- I'd love to hear how the Deepcurls do on game. I've loaded a few in my .300 but not shot anything with them.

I've got no issue with either of those for almost anything you would logically shoot with a 7mag. My friend loaded his with 140 Accubonds for caribou.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Dunno. I just checked and I still have over 600 Nosler 160's and over 200 of their 175's, so I likely won't get around to trying anything else before my kids inherit.

take a quick look at the sectional density of a .284 / 175 grain and then tell me that another 20 or 25 grains penetrating like that one can will make any usable difference - there have been, and will be, a myriad of hunters who can impart volumes of experience to be defined and dissected but Warren Page will always be in the mix somewhere and he had it correct, I think - a Swift A-frame, Partition, Barnes, Heck .... virtually ANY 175 grain with a SD of .310 and "decent" construction is a projectile to be reckoned with at a MV of 2950 + - Sure, there are a lot of combos that are more authorative but at the cost of more recoil and muzzle blast - I am not so sure that what with today's new bullet construction technology that 160's won't fill the bill anyway - (7mm Weatherby included in my ranting) Good balance and good ballistics (and good marketing too) After spending more time, money and sleep time pondering what would make a "perfect" all around cartridge / caliber I know what I'm using from now on ...... (and in a 7 lb rig)

Ed Rasmusson runs one. He swears its the best sheep caliber that has ever been invented. He shot that big First Nation Auction ram with it.
    A lot of the good ole' boys around Jaxson and Kaltag run them in the Sako and Tikka flavor and they do their duty on big moose.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

To me the 7mm mag may be the best one gun for folks hunting sheep and goats most and the 30-06 best if hunting everything else and around the big bears alot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    take a quick look at the sectional density of a .284 / 175 grain and then tell me that another 20 or 25 grains penetrating like that one can will make any usable difference - there have been, and will be, a myriad of hunters who can impart volumes of experience to be defined and dissected but Warren Page will always be in the mix somewhere and he had it correct, I think - a Swift A-frame, Partition, Barnes, Heck .... virtually ANY 175 grain with a SD of .310 and "decent" construction is a projectile to be reckoned with at a MV of 2950 + - Sure, there are a lot of combos that are more authorative but at the cost of more recoil and muzzle blast - I am not so sure that what with today's new bullet construction technology that 160's won't fill the bill anyway - (7mm Weatherby included in my ranting) Good balance and good ballistics (and good marketing too) After spending more time, money and sleep time pondering what would make a "perfect" all around cartridge / caliber I know what I'm using from now on ...... (and in a 7 lb rig)
    Good Thinkin, I think.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To me the 7mm mag may be the best one gun for folks hunting sheep and goats most and the 30-06 best if hunting everything else and around the big bears alot.
    I could see an advantage for the 30-06 if you're doin a bear at close range with 220 grain bullets, but in any other situation, I'm convinced the 7 Mag is superior.

That's the way I'm seeing the ballistics, anyway. Don't folks go with a 300 Mag because they want longer range than a 30-06 can provide with a decent SD bullet?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Dunno. I just checked and I still have over 600 Nosler 160's and over 200 of their 175's, so I likely won't get around to trying anything else before my kids inherit.
    I got enough of the 160 NPTs to keep my Wby sighted in till I assume room temperature, too.

I think I understand your point. The NPTs aren't likely to be improved on.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Smitty- I'd love to hear how the Deepcurls do on game. I've loaded a few in my .300 but not shot anything with them.

I've got no issue with either of those for almost anything you would logically shoot with a 7mag. My friend loaded his with 140 Accubonds for caribou.

I'd like to know how well they work. I'm assuming they're a controlled expansion bullet.

I got some 7mm 160s for my 7mm Mauser.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast