Thread: Bear Stand

Default Bear Stand

I set up my bear bait this year using a home made platform stand. It is strong and sturdy with two folding chairs on it. It is the size of a full sheet of plywood. I was wondering what you all do to your stands to make them nicer or more functional.

carpeting makes them more quiet.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Yes

Yes carpeting is a plus. Have made a lot over the years for deer hunting. I hope that you did not use nails but lags of considerable size for the tree attachment. Spruce are just too soft for my liking. A Z bracket, 6" long made out of 1 1/2" angle iron, welded and with two bolt holes for the tree will really secure the platform. The 2by material sits right in the Z and you won't have to worry about the wood rotting away.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Talking Hand rails

I put log hand rails and a log ladder on mine so it looks like a tree yet it is a functional too. A little extra work but looks good and was easy too build. Carpet is coming next time I go out as the others have said it makes the stand much quieter.
    Last edited by fishingis4play; 07-06-2008 at 12:08.

Default Nice

Nice stand but may I make a suggestion. Put your railing members on the inside of the trees. That way if you lean against them, you are putting your forces on the log against the log, instead of the fasteners trying to do the job.

You can also take some one foot sections of 2x4, and nail then upright against the tree butting against the 2x6's. If the cross members split on the ends, at least the weight of the material is down on the 2x4's.

Just some suggestions. When is the roof going on ?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Post Yep good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Nice stand but may I make a suggestion. Put your railing members on the inside of the trees. That way if you lean against them, you are putting your forces on the log against the log, instead of the fasteners trying to do the job.

You can also take some one foot sections of 2x4, and nail then upright against the tree butting against the 2x6's. If the cross members split on the ends, at least the weight of the material is down on the 2x4's.

Just some suggestions. When is the roof going on ?
    If you look close you can see that the corners are staggered so that every other corner is inside the tree, the corner pictured was the only way to build it, this tree is only a poll that we stood up to make the 4th leg so the stand would be more square. They are timber lock screwed to the tree (stronger than lags can build log homes with them) but your right I will be adding the 2x6's for the extra support it's a work in progress and yes I would like a roof soon. If you have an idea on the roof I'm up for any suggestions. thanks Steve
    Last edited by fishingis4play; 07-06-2008 at 12:08.

Default Carpet

Is there a tested type of carpet that hold up better than others? What about using something allong the lines of astroturf?

hey man, chain a freakin stand to the tree and hunt!!!

Nice stand all you need now is a place to plug the coffe pot in
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My old neighborhood buddies (tree fort builders) would groan if they knew I use anything but used nails straightened on a rock with a hammer, and old wood laying around forever.
    I am exploring the idea of using the Z braces or steel pocket hangars so that the joists are free floating. The trees can do their thing and the stand won't get pulled apart.
    One of my stands is built around one tree. It is almost 20 year old. 1" angle iron braces help support the corners. The roof is ugly, but does not leak a bit. Don't tell the wife, I can't say the same for the house. This is the last stand we built before my partner died. Can't hardly think about not hunting there.
    And if AK Gray has enough cord, there is room for several coffee pots.

Default tree stand

I dont have a pic but mine is 8'x8' with a knee wall, a shad roof, and fully screened in. It took me and my partner 4 hours to build.(We are both carpenters) It is sure nice being out of the bugs.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I gotta ask, how do you guys get away with building permenant stands? Is unit 15 the only area you can't??
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Rules on leaving tree forts in the trees-

I just spoke with the AK DFG guys in Anchorage, who said the AK DFG position is that the stands/tree forts can be left, as long as you might use them for moose hunting.

The willdlife info guy said the the rules about whether the stands can be left are not so much based on which unit you're in; it's more connected to who owns the land-
    Lots of land is now private, large tracts are Native owned etc; if you're in a Natl Forest, you have to check with the Forest Service.