Thread: Thanks for the space!!

Default Thanks for the space!!

I have seen more private boats than every over at Montague and this year, none of them have anchored up too close. There is still plenty of room and I think most of them have been to the area before by now and they have figured out that they catch more by spreading out. A few days ago, I was in the middle of a good bite and a big (28 or 31') Osprey drove right by me while I had two nice fish hooked up and he just kept on going another half mile or more before he dropped in. I was really happy that he didn't drop in right behind me and I am sure he did just fine. I know it is a free ocean and every one can do what they want. It is also legal to fart on an airplane but its better for everyone if you don't do that either. Spread out or if you are on an airplane, go to the bathroom. Everyone will have a better day.

Enjoy the weather this coming weekend. I have my first salmon charter on Friday, I will post a detailed report on what I find in side the bay for those coming down this weekend to give it a shot.

Good luck and again thanks for making it a little easier

AKCapt,

Not being a professional fisherman I am merely asking your opinion after sharing an observation:

Both of the times that I have been tied off to a buddy-boat and had more lines in the water it seemed as though more lines caught us more fish. I am not asking to tie off to your boat though I wonder whether or not a larger scent trail would bring in more fish. Any thoughts?

Good to hear there are a lot of courteous boaters out there. However, the title reminded me of how unhappy I was Saturday morning. It was late morning & we were sitting right inside the corner of cape Resurrection, the wife & I in our 20' red zodiac, & my retired neighbor in his just finished project build a 20' aluminum skiff, bayrunner type boat. Anyway we are sitting there stringing up poles about 15 yds apart when I look up & see an all-aluminum pilot house coming out from between fox & hive. He is heading right for us, & I think he is will eventually turn to his starboard side & go around the cape. Half a minute later I say something to my wife, our boats are shut off my neighbor is in the middle of his boat arranging things not even looking out the front to see this boat that is holding dead on for him. I think I was so dumbfounded that he was still on course & knew he was going to turn so I didnít think it necessary to grab the radio. At 50 yds my wife yells to our other boat ďLOOK OUTĒ he turns around & sits up in time to see this boat go around us on our right, the oncoming boats port side @ 15 yds. Mind you we were only 50 yds off the rock wall & he had to then swing out to the starboard side to go around the point of the cape & out. After watching my neighbor almost get dumped by the wake I did grab the radio & say something but didnít get a response back. The boat was all aluminum, no paint or big stickers ( like spoiled ones boat, but not named Patience). If I could have gotten his #ís I would have reported him, the only thing I can think of is he didnít see either one of us but I sure donít know how. If I ever see that boat again I will let him know that of his error in navigation.
    Sorry to derail your thread AKCapt.

If I could get out to south montie, I surely would ask AKCAPT to tie off to his boat! But I'd ask first of course :-)

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    AKCapt,

Not being a professional fisherman I am merely asking your opinion after sharing an observation:

Both of the times that I have been tied off to a buddy-boat and had more lines in the water it seemed as though more lines caught us more fish. I am not asking to tie off to your boat though I wonder whether or not a larger scent trail would bring in more fish. Any thoughts?
    Sure I think you are right, to a point. there are limits to how many halibut can be attracted. When I have 14 lines in the water, and have chum down, its all I can do to attract enough halibut for my clients. When you have four guys on your ACB and you get close to another small boat, you are combining your scent trails and are doing a better job of drawing them in. But if you rafted up to five boats and had 20 lines in the water, some would not catch fish.
    Its also different to raft up or anchor very close than to drop in 600 feet behind another boat. If you do that, then you are cutting off their scent trail, cutting in line essentially and that is a party foul no matter how small your boat is. Personally, I pull my anchor and move when that happens.
    Particularly at Montague, where the fish are moving, like cattle grazing on the range, your chances are best if you spread out and find your own real estate.