Thread: Prop guard

Default Prop guard

Thinking about putting a prop guard on my 50hp kenai outboard. Any suggestions? Are they worth the $

I put a Mac River Runner on my 50 Tohatsu. Could not tell any difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I put a Mac River Runner on my 50 Tohatsu. Could not tell any difference in performance.
    I put a Mac's on my 6 hp Tohatsu to run up 20 mile in my portabote. Probably the only reason I still have a skeg and prop.

Can you get the Mac River Runner locally?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Can you get the Mac River Runner locally?
    I got mine at Maritas's. I think West Marine carries them, also. If you can figure out what size you need you might look to the interweb for price comparison.

A word of caution regarding the Mac's River Runner. I've personally now seen three lower units that have broken off completely on the lower skeg that had a Macs on them. I think the 4 bolt holes that need to be drilled through the skeg weaken it, and cause it to break off completely when it takes a hard hit. I have one on my Kenai boat, but after what I have seen I am very worried about it. I think in hindsight, replacing a few props at $100 a pop doesn't seem so bad when I start thinking about a $1500 lower unit.

I have seen a few Mac's River Runners on the Kenai and have one on my motor. But I also like the Rockhopper and it is stronger, but I am not sure of the sizes they make if it can fit on a 50hp.

Sobie2

Drilling 4 quarter inch holes in the aluminum part of the skeg and bolting a stainless steel plate will not weaken the lower unit. It might sheer the skeg off at the bolts. That can be welded back on. If you plan to run a boat hard enough in shallow water to break the lower unit then get a jet or build a rockhopper the a 50hp. I couldn't find a rockhopper for a 50 when I was looking. I also could not find a slide on for a 50 Tohatsu. The river runner has served me well on my 50, 9.9 and 9.8's. You'll still eat a prop now and then but the Mac helps.

I just emailed Rock Hopper and they do have one for a 50 Honda. $140 + shipping